PROTECT folder opens at each XP Home boot

Each time XP Home boots, the following folder opens and the system boot
process "slows" greatly for 5-8 seconds.

C:\WINDOWS\System32\Microsoft\Protect

This is just a standalone home PC -- no corporate configuration stuff going
on. I click the folder CLOSE button and things continue normally. (Or, I
can just leave it open and nothing happens.)

Can anyone advise as to what's happening and how I can stop it?
1 answer Last reply
More about protect folder opens home boot

    Klein <atlantaexpo@mailinator.com> wrote:

    >Each time XP Home boots, the following folder opens and the system boot
    >process "slows" greatly for 5-8 seconds.
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\System32\Microsoft\Protect

    Check your startup settings to find out what is causing this.
    Applications that start with Windows can be found here:
    - the WIN.INI, section [windows], entries "run=" and "load="
    - the Registry keys
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    - the folders
    C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\START MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
    C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\{username}\START MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
    See also "How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows
    XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560) and "How to Perform a
    Clean Boot in Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310353).

    --
    (tm)