PROTECT folder opens at each XP Home boot

August 28, 2004 6:52:54 PM

Each time XP Home boots, the following folder opens and the system boot
process "slows" greatly for 5-8 seconds.

C:\WINDOWS\System32\Microsoft\Protect

This is just a standalone home PC -- no corporate configuration stuff going
on. I click the folder CLOSE button and things continue normally. (Or, I
can just leave it open and nothing happens.)

Can anyone advise as to what's happening and how I can stop it?
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 11:57:04 PM

Klein <atlantaexpo@mailinator.com> wrote:

>Each time XP Home boots, the following folder opens and the system boot
>process "slows" greatly for 5-8 seconds.
>
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\Microsoft\Protect

Check your startup settings to find out what is causing this.
Applications that start with Windows can be found here:
- the WIN.INI, section [windows], entries "run=" and "load="
- the Registry keys
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
- the folders
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\START MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\{username}\START MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
See also "How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows
XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560) and "How to Perform a
Clean Boot in Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310353).

--
(tm)