Best 2.1 computer speakers for music

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistabigshot

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Best 2.1 speakers, will be used in a bed room on a desk. Sound card will be X-Fi Xtreme Music. Almost exclusivly music, some gaming and video, but not enough to wave my decision of going 2.1. Under $150.

I was looking at the Logitech z-2300s or the Klipsch Promedia 2.1. But then I also found a deal for the Klipsch iFi speakers that can be riged for a computer. What should I pick, or is there something else that is better.

Another factor, is that i listen to about 100% mp3 files at a 128 bitrate. What effect does this have on what I should buy? Is there a better way to get better quality music from CDs and torrents?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I have the X-fi sound card and with the Bose Companion 2 it sounds as good as a perfectly tuned guitar. But I heard about the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and it performs great and some would say the best 2.1 speaker.

The bose componion 2 is now at $150 right at your budget. The Klipsch are around $130. I don't know much about the Logitech. But you can't go wrong with these two speakers when you want high quality sound. Get the Klipsch instead of the Bose for a think they have similar quality but for a lower price. :D

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If your burning CDs burn them at a higher rate, I think 320 is the highest for mp3, which is what I burn at but I have a lot of storage. I think 192 would be enough if storage is an issue. I have of Creatives 3300, probably a different designation now because these are several years old, and good they're for music. I wouldn't buy any speakers I haven't listened to. People can help you narrow your choices but ultimately it's what sounds best to you.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Both the Z-2300s and the Promedia 2.1s are respectable speakers.

But against the iFi (if you are talking about the $200 Costco deal, or the $179 Klipsch refurb deal), then it's no competition. The iFi is composed of Klipsch reference home theater speakers whose individual parts are worth over $500.

If the iFi is too costly for you, the consensus 2.1 speaker set under $150 is the Altec Lansing MX5021. 6.25" sub, and very large power satellites, with dual 3" midranges and a 1" tweeter. Might give the iFi a run for its money.

mistabigshot

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Both the Z-2300s and the Promedia 2.1s are respectable speakers.

But against the iFi (if you are talking about the $200 Costco deal, or the $179 Klipsch refurb deal), then it's no competition. The iFi is composed of Klipsch reference home theater speakers whose individual parts are worth over $500.

If the iFi is too costly for you, the consensus 2.1 speaker set under $150 is the Altec Lansing MX5021. 6.25" sub, and very large power satellites, with dual 3" midranges and a 1" tweeter. Might give the iFi a run for its money.

Right now I just want the quality, regardless of the price, in my budget of corse, I can get the iFi's for a very good price. 8) How does the iFi's sub compar to the pro media 2.1 sub and the logitech z-2300 sub?

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
The iFi's sub is in another league. It's based on the $300 RW-8 and is tuned to around 30hz. It's flat to 27hz (-3db). The iFi originally debuted at over $400 (and still is at most locations, including the Apple Store), basically Costco is selling it at a razor thin profit margin.

Logitech subs are poorly braced, and suffer from massive THD peaks (basically play a 40hz tone at 80db, and you get a 100db 60hz tone. This is not bass...it's just noise and distortion that overpowers the real musical information).

The Promedia 2.1 sub is several generations behind the iFi sub and is a smaller 6.5" compared to the larger 8" iFi sub (which is also the most linear sub Klipsch has made in its non-reference line). The whole system is such an incredible deal, it's amazing its a Klipsch product (Klipsch is generally considered very low end hifi, along with types like Cerwin Vega; sort of pay for the looks but not performance sort of thing. The iFi totally knocks that preconception over in terms of value and performance).

pcrig

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Best 2.1 speakers, will be used in a bed room on a desk. Sound card will be X-Fi Xtreme Music. Almost exclusivly music, some gaming and video, but not enough to wave my decision of going 2.1. Under $150.

I was looking at the Logitech z-2300s or the Klipsch Promedia 2.1. But then I also found a deal for the Klipsch iFi speakers that can be riged for a computer. What should I pick, or is there something else that is better.

Another factor, is that i listen to about 100% mp3 files at a 128 bitrate. What effect does this have on what I should buy? Is there a better way to get better quality music from CDs and torrents?

Speakers are quite individual issues.
As a brand I do not need anything better (price category) than Klipsch, but would not even consider other brands.

I settled for Klipsch Pro Media 5.1 Ultra, on realtek 850 on board.

They are more than sufficient for my "theater" needs and have supreme volume control.
Very pleased.

I wouldn't even consider Logitech!

If you are buying "X-Fi Xtreme Music than you should consider better than 2.1 and not less than 5.1

PX7800GT

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
I Say Try VKer , go to VKer Web Site , if want power it makes you feel good , ( i have one ) and i ALWAYS listen to Iron Maiden , and i must say that VKer is outstanding in music !!
but i respect logitech , it your choice and ofcourse logitech in nomber 1

amd_03

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
I have some Altec Lansing 2.1's and they sound great. Nice bass response and the satellites are clear and crisp. I bought them from Wal-Mart a few years ago for about $80. I want to upgrade to 5.1 or 7.1 but don't have the money for a speaker set and a new card.

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
The last time I was at MicroCenter and Compusa I gave a good listen to both the Logitech and Klipsch 2.1 setups. I do agree with whoever said it, the Logitch bass is overpowering. Sure you can adjust the gain but it did seem to change more with different frequencies; the Klipsch was far mor consistent.

I did prefer the overall design of the Logitech but the sound of the Klipsch.

mistabigshot

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
If you are buying "X-Fi Xtreme Music than you should consider better than 2.1 and not less than 5.1

What exactly are you trying to say? I have seen some people say that for 2.1 m-audio cards can be much better for the money, is this true? What is a good card they make for good music 2.1?

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
What exactly are you trying to say? I have seen some people say that for 2.1 m-audio cards can be much better for the money, is this true? What is a good card they make for good music 2.1?

He's just saying that 5.1 is better because you get more speakers! If you're listening to something in stereo more speakers are going to do crap! Sure you may get some 'surround sound' from the signal processing but it's not going to sound any better.

The x-fi is a good choice for music in 2.1. If you're an avid gamer or watch movies then 5.1 would be a wise choice.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
It's possible the X-Fi comment is supposed to mean that there are cheap 2.1 solutions that cost little more than $20 that would work just as well, if not better for music with very high quality DACs (no resampling to 48KHz).

Sheps87

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I got a set of altec lansing cs21's a little while ago. awesome speakers for a respectable price ~£80.

No noticeable distortion playing DVDs/music or playing games even at high volumes

Blackhawk3D

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
Look at the Swans, I've heard they are of unheard of quality for computer speakers. Other than that, I would go with Klipsch. Thier super efficient speakers make the most out of the small amplifiers used in computer speakers. Of course, I could build you a pair, (Speaker building is my newest hobby) but hey :lol:

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
The Swan M200s are basically low grade studio monitors "marketed" for PC use. Really, there are sever other studio monitors (self powered bookshelves) also in that price range which are comparable, but not particularly "marketed" as PC speakers and thus don't get as many kudos. Of course I'm not trying to put down the Swans, as very people in PC gaming are even remotely aware of what accurate sound reproduction is like (or rather, the joys of), and the Swans do some audio justice here, but rather, my point is marketing can sometimes put blinders on peoples' perceptions and their decision making becomes solely based on recommendations or owners parroting their love, rather than objective qualifications.

For the range of frequencies the satellite covers, the iFi with its cerametallic drivers will do better than the Swans' very "standard" polypropelene drivers. The bass extension will also be superior with the iFi too (because of the subwoofer), but of course at the cost of time-coherency (satellites + subwoofer aren't time alligned, vs a point source).

Forlorn

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I have the Klipsch Promedia 2.1s and I absolutely love them.

From what I'm hearing about these iFi speakers though, they sound like a better deal if you're willing to fork out the dough.

For under 150 I would say go with the Promedias, but like everyone else is saying, it's a matter of personal preference.

krfan1

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Another vote for the Klipsch Promedias!!

I havn't seen these new iFi spoeakers, and even though the Klipsch Promedia may have an outdated sub woofer, they still rock!

As stated above, I am very satisfied with these speakers!

krfan1

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
For music I would forget about computer speakers all together as they are meant for gaming and movies not sounding good on music. Most sound pretty horrible on music. Do yourself a favor and get a nice pair of active studio monitors. The M-audio Studiopro 4 is in your price range and sounds pretty nice for $150, definitly better than the Logitech and Klipsch computer speakers. Only thing is they dont have a sub so they wont have the pounding bass, but the bass is fine for music imo. And you can always add a sub at a later date if you really feel its needed.
I used them for a little while while I was saving to get my Genelecs, and they did the job very well

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
t (Klipsch is generally considered very low end hifi, along with types like Cerwin Vega; sort of pay for the looks but not performance sort of thing. The iFi totally knocks that preconception over in terms of value and performance).
Are you kidding?? Klipsch is very low end?? I dont think you can put Klipsch in the same group as crap like Bose or Cerwin Vega. Klipsch have been around for a wile and have produced probably some of the best high-end speakers ever built(Khorn, Heresy, Cornwall...). Yes thier lower end stuff isnt that great but the Heritage line is simply amazing and one of the best bang for the buck in the hi-end market. They just came out with the new Cornwall 3 and its truly an awesome speaker especially when you consider you can get the for $3k, not many speakers can compare at that price, especially if your rock fan!!

Status
Not open for further replies.