Sign in with
Your question

New PC help please

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 23, 2006 8:20:30 PM

Got my first build up and running (sort of) but I'm having some difficulties. I'm running an Opty 165 on a neo4 platinum with 2x1GB OCZ platinum 3200 running at 2-3-2-5, 3 250 GB WD Caviars (2 in Raid 0), a Sapphire Radeon x800 GTO2, 2 DVD burners, a floppy, and a capture card. Battlefield 2 seems to run fine (was having rebooting issues but a new vid driver seems to have worked that out), but core 1 craps out on Prime 95 10 minutes in during test 3, 4000... with a CPU temp of 53C, fan running at 1800rpm and NB fan at 6250, says rounding was .5 expected less than 4. Core 0 lasted last test at 22 minutes, but i'm running it again and core 0 is still going after an hour. I've run Memtest 1.65 a few times with no errors, this last test lasting almost 5 hours for 5 passes. I did switch to Artic Silver 5 for the compound (I'm assuming this voided my warranty). Would flashing my bios to the latest version help at all? I did try flashing through DOS using MSI's bootable floppy but apparently it didn't work as Live Update still says the same update is available. Can I just flash through windows? Oh yea, i'm not currently OCing either just testing for stability

Secondly, my computer won't shut down properly. It just hangs when the windows is shutting down message appears. Any ideas how to fix that?

More about : question

February 23, 2006 9:15:09 PM

This is the CPU section, amigo.

Try posting in the General Homebuilt section :wink:
February 23, 2006 9:25:56 PM

Did you even read his post? His issue is with his processor.

Drkboarder- i dunno crap about Prime95 to be honest. But I'm going to run it right now and see how long my system lasts. :-)

-mpjesse
Related resources
February 23, 2006 9:33:08 PM

Well, there could be problems with the mobo and OS also, or he may have some virus preventing his computer for shutting down.
February 23, 2006 9:36:16 PM

Yeah but the main purpose and/or function of his post clearly suggests he seeks processor help. If both of his cores aren't working, he's got a genuine problem.
February 23, 2006 9:38:08 PM

whatever.....
February 23, 2006 9:38:35 PM

Quote:
Secondly, my computer won't shut down properly. It just hangs when the windows is shutting down message appears. Any ideas how to fix that?

From my experience that's usually a power management problem (check to make sure power management is enabled in BIOS). But it could be any number of things. Try terminating certain processes before shutting down, namely virus scanners. If that don't work, just kill stuff at random. A program may be refusing to terminate which is cause WinXP to hang. Once you locate that program you can figure out why it's causing WinXP to hang.

-mpjesse
February 23, 2006 9:41:03 PM

We'll, I'm at about 20 minutes with core 0 and it still ain't crashed... I'll try core 1 here in a few minutes.

BTW, my CPU temp is 51C and holding. (i have Athlon X2 4200)

-mpjesse
February 23, 2006 9:52:58 PM

For dual core you need to run two instances of prime 95 to really test out the processor. You can set the affinity under one of the tabs. You'll need to put two shortcuts to your desktop, then add -A0 to the end of the target location of one and -A1 to the other (space after the quotes).
February 23, 2006 9:58:43 PM

Ahh... never thought of that. But, shouldn't the results be the same? Actually I guess not... you're technically doing a lot more w/ the memory if you're running 2 tests huh? I guess the potential for issues to crop up is greater if running two tests?

Hmmm...

I shall have to try this when Core 1 finishes it's testing. I'm on test 4 right now.

-mpjesse
February 23, 2006 10:00:11 PM

One more thing... can't you just tell Prime95 which core to use in each instance? I'm doing that right now... seems that would be easier than specifying in the shortcut field.
February 23, 2006 10:10:23 PM

Woooo.... now this whore is heating up. 55C. Amazingly this machine still runs without a hitch while i'm doing other things like post in here.
February 23, 2006 10:41:31 PM

Well, all the tests passed on my CPU. I guess you can try flashing ur bios. Does the machine crash in anything else? Like games?
February 24, 2006 12:48:09 AM

Battlefield 2 crashes, but a lot of people are having trouble with the new patch anyways. I guess I'll flash the bios...is doing it through windows ok?
!