Sign in with
Your question

A8N32-Sli Deluxe - Nothing but problems... [long story]

Last response: in Motherboards
February 23, 2006 9:55:43 PM

Ok let me start of by saying hi, im new here & im also new to Asus & AMD... Ive used Intel's & Gigabyte's all of my computer life, and never had an Asus Motherboard either...

I am not a PC-know-it-all, but ive used computers for about 6/7years, and as you all know - you pick up alot of stuff along the way, so I would consider myself 'average' when it comes to computers.

I felt like a big upgrade, so I bought new computer parts, A8N32-Sli Deluxe, AMD 64 4400+ x2 dual core, ATI 1900xt 512MB GDDR3, 2gb Corsair XMS3500LL. And yesterday I built it, everything was going fine untill I turned it on... BSOD's here, and there... diferent stop error codes... I troubleshooted most of them, and solved most of them, but they kept coming back even though I had 'fixed' them.. I couldnt install windows XP PRO without getting BSOD - then having to restart the installation.. and getting it yet again... this went on maybe about 6 times in the space of 3/4hours, I then got fedup and I tryed windows XP x64 edition, and this was... lets say.. trouble-free!! nothing went wrong whatsoever... I got it installed, got all my devices working, played a few games and was amazed by what the x1900xt could do... eventully I started to install programs, and external stuff, such as hard drive, network storage device, to find out x64 doesnt support my storage device(because the manufacturer hasnt and doesnt plan on releasing a driver for it), I then read that x64 edition doesnt support many things... this was it.. my head was in my hands(yet again!). So I was back to sqaure one, most of the day today I was trying to install XP PRO... and maybe 6/7hours into it... it actually worked! I got it installed, But it wouldnt load? when it got to 'loading windows xp', it would hang.. and either BSOD or reboot itself automatically. and few hours later.. I managed to get into safe mode and install a few things - I will skip some things because this could get very long...

Where im at right now... Ive got windows XP Pro + sp2 installed, all my devices installed, a minute ago my keyboard couldnt work because "not enough resources" it said in device manager ( http://www.jony.co.uk/pix ) thats 2 pictures of my device manager.

The problems im still having are basically:

computer reboots itself right before "loading windows xp" gui apears, and it can continuously do this for about 30minutes at a time before it actually loads XP and lets get to desktop... so basically maybe.. 1 out of 20 attempts of booting up.. actually works???

My video drivers wouldnt install, instead right after the red background 'ATI' drivers apeared.. the computer would reboot... I got fedup of this so I installed Omega Drivers instead. which installed fine..

I dont want to criticise AMD or Asus for these problems, but I cant help but think why did I ever bother moving from Intel/Gigabyte...

Im not normally this moody, its just ive spent.. easily 15hours working on this since I received the parts.. which was yesterday(tuesday) morning.

will be online for at least another few hours.. so I will respond to any comments left..

cheers
February 23, 2006 10:17:39 PM

what about your power supply or maybee trying just one stick of memory
February 23, 2006 10:24:47 PM

Quote:
what about your power supply or maybee trying just one stick of memory

Its a brand new Jeantech 500w PSU, I havnt tryed taking a stick of ram out yet... the LED's on top of the ram are flashing normally...
Related resources
February 23, 2006 11:04:49 PM

try updating the BIOS. I've had similar problems you're talking about on systems I've built and a BIOS flash can possibly fix it. I've also read more than once that this particular board is greatly aided by a bios flash.

You have to remember that when you're buying cutting edge hardware and using it with a board that was made before some of your components were even available that you might run into some problems along the way :) 
February 23, 2006 11:17:50 PM

I took out 1 stick of ram, and reboot.. and windows loaded first time, I then turned off, put the stick back into the computer, changed slots about.. and it worked first time again, the slots go like this..

[blue]
[black]

[blue]
[black]

they were in the top blue & black ones originally, i put one into top blue, and other into bottom blue.. and it seems to be working.. does this make sense to anyone?

Also does anyone know why my keyboard wont work untill I uninstall 1 of the "motherboard resource"'s from device manager? http://www.jony.co.uk/pix <-- picture(s) of my device manager.

Ive also still got 2 devices in Device Manager that are unreconized... with a yellow '?' beside them and they are called "Unknown Device" - How would I find out what these are? Everytime the computer reboots and loads desktop.. 'found new hardware' apears twice
February 23, 2006 11:24:07 PM

most mobo say to fill a certain color mem slot first like the blue try the blue with one stick of ram and run the computer for say a day or a week
or which ever mem slot is closest to the proccesor and not in the slot of a diff color
February 23, 2006 11:28:55 PM

sorry im trying to awnser another question
anyway if it works with only one stick <you wont be as fast but with a new comp u want stability first > you may have a bad stick
February 23, 2006 11:29:16 PM

Yeah I remember reading something about that in the manual, my bad - I shouldave remembered.. I thought for ram to run in dual channel it needed to be next to each other.. but I guess thats not the case - How do I know if its running in dual channel now?

Other than they 2 Unknown Devices in Device Manager, everything seems to be running rather sweetly, and im starting to get abit happyier about things... maybe thats just because im eating jaffa cakes though... :roll: :lol: 

edit: if i got a bad stick, I will be getting a replacement, cost me a bomb for 2 gig of corsair XMS3500LL... :evil: 
February 23, 2006 11:36:41 PM

i have just had major problems with the same board. i had to make a copy of my windows xp cd then slipstream sp2 into it, just to get a clean install. sp2 seems to fix bsod's with this board

if you dont get a clean install of xp you can get all sorts of problems
i would try this first, then if that fails you need to update your bios

the 2 colours on your memory slots are for duel channel ,so stick to one colour with 2 sticks of ram

hope this helps
February 23, 2006 11:37:10 PM

no you r right if your sys runs fine for say a day with the one stick
surfin the web do a disc clean or defrag after windows and your drivers are all loaded and all the updates for your components you sould be able to power down and unplug the cord put the other stick in the black one right next to the other stick it should read dual channel
February 23, 2006 11:51:43 PM

to tell if its in dual channel while it is runing good with one stick down load
something like cpu-z or pc wizard see waht it says and then after you put he other in run either of these and see what the mem timmings and other
diff there is and also the bios will tell you
February 23, 2006 11:54:51 PM

So do I keep them the way they are(both in blue slots), or do I put them next to each other(one in blue, one in black)?

any idea about the keyboard situation? (im having to uninstall a 'motherboard resources' from device manager before my keyboard will work?)

would sisoft sandra tell you if its running in dual channel?
February 24, 2006 12:01:05 AM

your mem can stay were its at it will still be 2 gigs in the blue and 2 gigs dual in the blue and and black as far as your keyboard i have heard of some people have a usb keyboard work and not a what ever the regular one is
February 24, 2006 12:06:16 AM

This is a PS/2 keyboard(normall one), Ive got a usb mouse & thats working fine.. its just this keyboard
February 24, 2006 12:20:08 AM

Ive taken some pictures of the computer, It is only my second computer ive built from scratch

http://www.jony.co.uk/pc
February 24, 2006 12:24:59 AM

Hi! I have the MB as your's. I also ran into problems but managed to fix them one by one.

First, I placed my pair of ram on the blue slots,

I also updated my bios (not thru windows environment). After the bios update everything ran smoothly.

'Hope this helps.
February 24, 2006 12:29:28 AM

Ive never updated a bios successfully before, I did it once few years ago but allmost ruined my motherboard, is it easy to do? also.. should I bother updating mines now that everything seems to be running fine - or should I update it so I dont run into any problems in future?
February 24, 2006 12:39:01 AM

I'd recommend to format your hard drive then trying to install windows xp the regular 32bit version with only 1 ram stick ... then when the installation is complete install the other stick...I'm telling you this since I have a pretty similar pc and installing win xp with only 1 gig ram is a MUST! using 2 gigs on installation is not the best idea... dont noe why.. i just know it's true
February 24, 2006 4:09:35 AM

The manual for this board is very thorough and explains everything you need to do....Dual channel memory goes into same color slots and you may want to flash the bios to 1103 version using the "Asus EZ Flash", also covered in the manual. I have the same setup as you and really did not have any problems flashing bios, setting up a raid 0 and sucessfuly installing XP Pro all in one smooth session. Considering this was my first system build, I am very impressed with the motherboard and all the bios/overclocking features it offers. It did help to read the manual from cover to cover though!
February 24, 2006 4:46:03 AM

I am not going to tell you what is wrong. I dont know. but its not the mobo or cpu, unless one is just bad.

I have the same mobo, a1900xtx, a 4800+, and the same case in black. no probs whatsover.

this case is awesome isnt it? I love it so much. your pics look great. I bought it with a 480 watt psu for 100 bucks.
February 24, 2006 12:25:02 PM

Yeah its cool, the only thing I dont like is the orange fans - makes the case look silly, gonna stick some neon fans in there soon, just need to get the proper sizes

I just turned it on 10mins ago and it rebooted itself again... after a few ram swap abouts it finally came to desktop *big sigh*

I must have bad luck then bluesquid, cos Ive had nothing but problems since the minute I turned it on...
February 24, 2006 3:02:10 PM

I tryed to install "Asus Update" thats on the CD that came with the motherboard, and it says "no asus motherboard found" or something along those lines, someone kindly pointed out that could be the cause of the 2 unknown devices..

anyone know a possible fix for this?
February 24, 2006 4:16:06 PM

You may want to try to use the Asus EZ Flash to update to the 1103 bios. Assuming you have a computer that you can use to access the Asus website, it's easy to do. Go to the asus website, download the 1103 bios, rename it to A8N32SLI.ROM, then copy it to a floppy. Restart your computer, hold "ALT+F2" to activate the EZ Flash. Insert the floppy with the new bios and the rest will be taken care of for you. The new bios may solve some or all of your problems, hopefully.
February 24, 2006 5:58:55 PM

I did that, and now Asus Update works! :) 

Im not convinced my problems are not over though... got a feeling there's still something wrong, weither it be software, hardware or configuration cos something doesnt seem right.

still havnt got the keyboard situation sorted, ive tryed troubleshooting it but no joy, aparently I need a fix(from microsoft site) they say phone them... and they have got a link to it.. but i dont fancy phoning em, spent enuff money on this pc without going to go and throw money at MS! :p  so i duno where else to get it from :oops: 
February 24, 2006 6:50:18 PM

Try, as first task, to know if your memory is runnig Ok.
How?
Go to Corsair support at its website. I did this and solved my problems with ASUS and CORSAIR (VS1G400C3; your is different, and maybe they would advise a different BIOS Setting), setting my memory modules voltage to 2.80 volts with 2 modules, and 2.85 volts with 4 modules ("Jumperfree..." BIOS menu).
Put the DVRAM settings to AUTO, boot, set again to MANUAL and check if Latency, Clock, and Timing are those specified by CORSAIR.
Use MemTest86 v1.65 (www.memtest.org; its doesn´t need Windows) to analyse if your memory is running Ok. You will need to build a FDD 1.44Mb disk and boot your computer with it. It diagnoses errors, speed, and lots of things. Do not change BIOS settings throught it; use the BIOS or you will got another headache.

Then, if memo is OK, next step woud be drivers (Graphics Card, nVidia (take care with its instalation recommendations), etc). I do recommend to become a member of Asus Support; there you will find those BIOS and Driver that do need to be updated more easily.

Best Regards, Jayme.
February 24, 2006 11:49:13 PM

I will go to corsair site shortly and do what you said, I dont have a floppy drive installed in my computer, Ive got a 7in1 card reader which is also a floppy drive.. but for some reason the floppy IDE cable doesnt fit it... (the pins are laid out diferently for some odd reason), I seem to have computer issues non-stop lol!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2006 12:30:25 AM

My sticks are in slots 1 and 3, l to r from chip. ocz platinum, 2gigs.
Before you messed with it, mine saw my fx-57 right off the bat. I think you needed to update bios to work with dual core.

A friend of mine has the cheaper version of this board, had to do it to his so it would see chip. Remove battery, look in book to find jumper. Follow directions carefully in book. Put jumper back the way it was .. replace battery. Before hand, you should have new bios update on floppy, and inserted ready for reboot. Should automatcally see the floppy and start to install bios. No, wait, you have to tell it to do the bios update. You'll see it on the screen. When screen comes up, type in correct bios info and it should load automatically. Go in and setup your boot sequence, and you shouldn't have any problems. Mine took x64 without probs. Yes, 64 is dead, nothing for it out there. Bummer !!

I'm probably missing something, it's easy to sit down in front of it and do it, but not explain it.

Also running 650 watt ps. If things go good, check your voltages, don't need as much for memory as you might think. Also, if you have any other memory laying around, yes, even value select, try it. There may be a compatability issue with that......finicky..........

Your usb should be on the install disc, no ?, or can get them when you go to microsoft update.

Didn't an install disc come with that high folutin keybord ?, drivers on that ? Do you have another one to try ?

The more shit you try to put on it after you get windows installed also created problems for my friend.......video crap and a couple of other apps. No drivers, or compat probs.

This is a very good and fast board, hope you get things worked out.......but I will tell you, I have had a time with one of asus' boards before, and not being familiar doesn't help........good luck
February 25, 2006 10:03:34 AM

Im getting more confused by each time I do something, check this..

I left my computer on for about 45minutes earlyer.. hoping when I did finally come to it.. it would be on desktop ready to be used, but nope.. it was still in its rebooting circle... whats weird is I removed the mouse(usb connection), and rebooted.. and windows loaded???

Now I dont know if this has solved this issue.. because last night I did the same thing, i removed a stick of ram again, and it booted up... just to make sure it was that.. i rebooted again.. and windows loaded again!!!!! by this time I was well impressed, but I thought I will reboot one last time to make 100% sure its the ram... I rebooted and it went back to 'normall' ****!!!!!!! (normall being in its rebooting circle). - I dont want to reboot again just yet incase I cant get back into windows for ages

The mouse situation is weird though.. Im just installing the drivers for it now because I accidently forgot about it.... its a logitech laser g5 mouse.

I installed the keyboard drivers yesterday, and I havnt had the problem with the keyboard again.. *yet* (but remember, ive only sucessfully booted up 4 times since yesterday, so I wouldnt be counting my chickens just yet...)

On another note, last night I noticed my only HDD was set to slave, when it was on master... which of course I jumped up and said "ohhh.. thats the problem..!!!".. but it wasnt, the computer still rebooted even after I had changed the jumper to master.

So im gonna go and install mouse drivers & do a memtest that JJ__BR recommended I do - will keep you guys updated.
February 26, 2006 4:29:13 PM

Did you install Roxio? It is not liked at all by Windows XP Pro. There is info on this online. I found it by accident. But it sent my new system into constant reboot I lost everything I had saved. Check all the programs for Compatability before you install them. I have the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe with the Dual Core AMD 64X2 4800 and the Corsair 3500LL Pro Ram I had not problems installing windows XP Pro and I was online for a week then I installed the Roxio What a Problem that Caused. But after you loaded windows did you load your motherboard drivers first? then the Video drivers? I have my Ram in both Blue slots as recomended By the manual. Remember as soon as you load all the drivers BEFORE you load any programs make a restart point for the Windows XP. I am running a eVGA 7800GTX card This is also my first time with AMD but Asus makes a good board my first board was bad the replacement is going strong now.
March 1, 2006 12:25:59 PM

well, the software that came with my premium mobo was useless... that AI Booster program reads al the wrong temperatures, htt speeds, and so on... DONT even try to use the AI Booster's "overclockin" feature that gives the 103,105,107%... options because you will have to clear the cmos just to post after that...! If u overclock or u are concerned about ur temps and speeds,voltages and all use the BIOS or download the Ntune software from nvidia...! regardless of all those software issues that is just AI Booster, but the mobo it self is great for overclokin, gaming or anything else.. it is robust and stable!
March 6, 2006 12:16:25 AM

Hi Guys,

Finally, I do have some good news.
First of all, just like Charlie said, AiBooster sucks! Go to nVidia nTune.
I´ve been trying to find out some problems with my Desktop, for the last ten days:
________
AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4400+
ASUS A8N-SLI PREMIUM
4 x 1Gb RAM (CORSAIR VS1G400C3)
XFX GeFORCE 6800 GT
2 x SEAGATE SATA I 7200.8 200GB AT RAID0 (nVIDIA nFORCE4)
ENERMAX 535w
________

Well, it has been running without any problem for the last 36 hours.

Problem:
- After 6/8 hours of use, the desk was freezing without any error message. Temperature was never above 60 Celsius degrees.
Steps till solution:
- CORSAIR suggested to do a BIOS Update, and set manually 400Mhz for Memery Clock, at lest 1,80v for memory voltage. Test with Memtest86+ v1.65 if the error was at the memory.
No memory errors, and still freezing.
- I´ve decided last friday to change, CPU voltage from "AUTO" to 1,40v. It was my last setting at "AUTO" at Advanced Menu, CPU and JumperFree Submenus. Well, I really don´t know if that was actually the problem, but since then my desk has not freezed.
And somebody told me about a software (freeware) that tests CPU stalibily. Here goes the link: (http://www.majorgeeks.com/CPU_Stability_Test_d215.html).

Well, I do understand that you should not believe at any "AUTO" at your BIOS SETUP, when concerning ADVANCED MENU, CPU and JUMPERFREE SUBMENUs. For me, it was a good alternative for stability. Let´s see for how long...

Cheers, JJ.

PS: Just to let you guys know, I´ve beeng waiting for a reply from ASUS, for a Technical Inquiry, since 22/Feb/2006. No answers till now.
March 10, 2006 6:16:00 PM

Quote:
AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4400+
ASUS A8N-SLI PREMIUM
4 x 1Gb RAM (CORSAIR VS1G400C3)
XFX GeFORCE 6800 GT
2 x SEAGATE SATA I 7200.8 200GB AT RAID0 (nVIDIA nFORCE4)
ENERMAX 535w
________

Well, it has been running without any problem for the last 36 hours.

Problem:
- After 6/8 hours of use, the desk was freezing without any error message. Temperature was never above 60 Celsius degrees.
Steps till solution:
- CORSAIR suggested to do a BIOS Update, and set manually 400Mhz for Memery Clock, at lest 1,80v for memory voltage. Test with Memtest86+ v1.65 if the error was at the memory.
No memory errors, and still freezing.
- I´ve decided last friday to change, CPU voltage from "AUTO" to 1,40v. It was my last setting at "AUTO" at Advanced Menu, CPU and JumperFree Submenus. Well, I really don´t know if that was actually the problem, but since then my desk has not freezed.
And somebody told me about a software (freeware) that tests CPU stalibily. Here goes the link: (http://www.majorgeeks.com/CPU_Stability_Test_d215.html).

Well, I do understand that you should not believe at any "AUTO" at your BIOS SETUP, when concerning ADVANCED MENU, CPU and JUMPERFREE SUBMENUs. For me, it was a good alternative for stability. Let´s see for how long...

Cheers, JJ.

CPU has never been above 60c? Is that at idle? Or is that with both cores maxed out? I have my 3800+ x2 oc'd to 2.5ghz from 2.0ghz with extra voltage on it, and it never goes above 55c (with both cores at 100% 24/7). If you're running at idle above 50c, then you need to fix that problem first. If you're running around 60c at idle, that's why you keep rebooting. Because any increase in cpu usage is going to push you too high (on a non-oc'd system you should stay below 55c, if it's 70-78f in the room with only 1 gpu and a standard hsf).

Is the fan on the hsf running? Did you get thermal grease between the cpu and the hsf? It's important that you don't put too much thermal grease between the hsf and the cpu too. You want only enough to fill the cracks/pores (that you can't see with the naked eye) between the cpu and hsf.

With all that said, most of your problems are probably stemming from using 4gb. I tried yesterday to put 4x1gb sticks in my brand new work dell p4 system, lol, crash and burn baby. CPU's, p4's and amd processors are known for issues with 4 sticks of any size ram. Not everyone has the problems, but most do.

I haven't read through what everyone else has recommended...but i skimmed a few posts. Firstly, you don't want to update the bios while you have ANY instability in your system. That's asking for trouble/RMA. I'd recommend you make your system stable with one stick (update the bios to the latest non-beta version), then two sticks (you'll want to run both sets of ram in individual tests), then and ONLY then, move on to the four sticks. And before putting 4 sticks in, you'll want to reset your bios and preset the ram to 333 and relaxed(or stock 333 2.5 3 3 etc) timings (also command rate set to 2T instead of 1T). You'll want to put in the max supported (under warrenty) voltage on the ram as well (probably 2.8v or near to that). I'd recommend running superPi 32m and an instance of pcmark 04/05 over top of that for stability testing in Windows. That way you're maxing both cores and actively using your ram. Memtester86+ is great for testing just your ram in a dos environment. For max stability testing, you want something that maxes your cpu cores and memory for 24hrs+. Many people recommend Prime95 for 1 core. So after you have your 4 sticks running smoothly, try leaving your computer alone, with Prime 95 running for 24hrs. That will max 1 core and stress out your ram.

Oh yea, one last thing, i have that psu that you do, enermax 535... For gaming stability, you probably don't want to use the cable provided power for your gpu that is built in to the enermax. I've found that under heavy loads, it doesn't carry enough current to keep even a single xfx 6800gt powered up. So i've dropped back to using the dongle (that came with your xfx) that splits the power in to 2 of the 4 prong power connectors (like the one plugged into your CD-Rom/DVD/burner drives) without issue ever since.

Meh...another thing...(man i've edited this like 6x now...)...All Nforce 4 boards have had issues with their raid ide drivers. I'd recommend you NOT install those drivers from nvidia. Not every person has had trouble, but every board out there with an nforce 4 chipset has had issues with it with someone, including myself on 2/3 of the nforce 4 boards i've had so far. I currently am not running anything in a raid formation.

Current Rigs:

Asus A8n-sli Premium
2 xfx 6800gt's oc'd to 400 1100 on copper hsf's
3800+ x2 oc'd to 2.5ghz and 1.5v
-on aftermarket xp90 with 92mm fan
2x1028ocz running 1.8v 1:1 (250fsb)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
530w Sparkle FSP550 (using 280w with 2core max...380w 1 core max during gaming)
-runs Very hot, 95f (air leaving psu)
100gb Western Digital

Enermax 535w
Jetway 939 GT4-SLI
3000+ Winnie (stock)
Evga 6800gs 490 1100 (running with a dongle 2 4-prong power)
2x512 HyperX
WD 120gb, Raptor 36gb;
March 10, 2006 7:13:53 PM

Greetings Johnny,

If you get the computer booted, you might check to see if the mouse and the sound card are sharing the same IRQ. If they are you might need to change the IRQ of one of them. Mice and sound do not get along well together. That's not much but I hope it helps a little.

Good luck.
March 10, 2006 8:18:52 PM

Agreed, I'd look over the Device Manager settings for the keyboard problem, make sure that it isn't allowed to "turn itself off" to save power. A useless feature Windows does, I think it was made for laptops. I'm sure you are tired of the BSOD, but it may help. Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Advanced Tab, click the last settings under Startup and Recovery. Uncheck automatically restart. Then they'll come back, does it name a file when it comes up?

~Ibrahim~
March 10, 2006 9:20:28 PM

You must have 1 stick of RAM in either both blues, or both blacks for the memory to run in Dual Channel. Occupying 1 in black and 1 in blue is not suggested. You can run with only 1 stick, but it will not run in Dual Channel.

However, it sounds to me like you might have RAM has issues. You may want to run memtest86 to see if there are problems.

If you have updated your BIOS like everyone else has suggested, I would start over from scratch. Clear your CMOS, and make sure it is set to its defaults then try to re-install Windows XP 32bit with only the BASIC HARDWARE INSTALLED. Once Windows is running, and you have the ASUS and Video Card Drivers installed, start putting the rest of your hardware in, one by one.

I've heard some systems do not like installing XP with SP2 on it. If possible, install Windows XP and get everything up and running, then install SP2.
March 12, 2006 9:03:11 PM

Quote:
You must have 1 stick of RAM in either both blues, or both blacks for the memory to run in Dual Channel. Occupying 1 in black and 1 in blue is not suggested. You can run with only 1 stick, but it will not run in Dual Channel.

for dual channel on asus mobos is 1 dimm in blue slot(a1) and 1 dimm in black slot(b1)
March 13, 2006 4:56:18 PM

Quote:

for dual channel on asus mobos is 1 dimm in blue slot(a1) and 1 dimm in black slot(b1)

According to the manual, Dimm A1 and Dimm B1 are both Blue. Dimm A2 and Dimm B2 are both Black. It also states that when using 2 Dimms, make sure they are of equal size and to put them in Dimm A1 and Dimm B1 only. When using only a single Dimm, place it in Dimm B1 only. If this is incorrect, then ASUS needs to updat their manual
March 13, 2006 10:16:15 PM

yes, I was wrong at naming the slots... for dual channel you must use A1 and A2... meaning the first blue and the first black!
March 14, 2006 4:04:35 AM

Quote:
yes, I was wrong at naming the slots... for dual channel you must use A1 and A2... meaning the first blue and the first black!

Sorry dude...but the following is a cut n paste directly from the A8N32-SLI Deluxe User's Manual:

For dual-channel configuration, the total size of memory module(s) installed per channel must be the same for better performance (DIMM_A1+DIMM_A2=DIMM_B1+DIMM_B2).
• When using one DDR DIMM module, install into DIMM_B1 slot only.
When using two DDR DIMM modules, install into DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 slots only.

This enables both channels (a.k.a Dual Channel) A & B. According to the images in the manual the first bank of memory slots are A1 (Blue) and A2 (Black). The next bank of memory slots are B1 (Blue) and B2 (Black).

Therefore, according to the manual, 1 Dimm needs to be in slot A1 (Blue) and B1 (Blue) for dual channel to work.

If this is incorrect, then ASUS needs to update their manual.
!