Buillding new pc need help on Windows 7

I'm new too this computer and os thing so bare with me. I've been reading a lot about Windows 7 full and upgrade. It seems like Windows 7 upgrade can also do a "clean install" so i was wondering since I don't have any os at the moment, if I can just get the upgrade and do a clean install of it. Thoughts, ideas, anything will benefit this newbie. Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about buillding windows
  1. In a word NO!
    To use an upgrade you must first own a previous full version of Windows XP, 2000 or Vista.
  2. Why not just get the OEM version?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

Then you shouldn't have to worry about not having a previous OS as I believe the OEM is for System Builders.
  3. +1 for the OEM version...
    but it will be permanently tied to that pc... usually to the motherboard.
  4. Jonmor68 said:
    In a word NO!
    To use an upgrade you must first own a previous full version of Windows XP, 2000 or Vista.

Win 2K users are not eligible for the Windows 7 upgrade... you must either have XP or Vista... nothing older than XP will work.
  5. Sorry to interupt the OP's thread, but I have a similar question.

I have a computer that I built ~7 years ago now :ouch: and want to build a new one with Windows 7.

I have an OEM version of XP that is on the old one, can I buy Windows 7 upgrade and put it on the newly built computer?? I'm guessing no, but here's to hoping.
  6. not that i'm aware of
    you need the upgradable OS on the PC you using the upgrade disk for
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows 7 Clean Install Computers Product