ASUS a8n SLI premium

charlieyv

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
does anyone know why mi fsb keeps reading 800mhz instead of 1Ghz in ASUS AI booster software...?
Specs..:
Athlon 64 4000+ San diego
2GB Corsair xms 3200c2pro
Asus a8n sli premium

mpjesse

Splendid
I hvae no clue. I have the A8N-SLI Premium as well. My AI booster shows a 800mhz HT speed. I checked my BIOS and the HT is at 5x (full speed). Tried messing with it and no matter what I do HT speed says 800mhz.

I suspect AI Booster is incorrect.

-mpjesse

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
i have the asus sli32 deluxe and tried overclocking using the ai booster
and found that it drops the multiplier as you overclock i had to go to the bios and lock the multiplier

charlieyv

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
well I'm still gettin the 800 mhz read with ai booster... I know it should be 1000mhz... that's what cpu box says right?... my multiplier is at 5x... I guess I'll lock it from the bios

anywayz I'm still not comfortable with the 800mhz read... makes me feel slower or something :oops:

mpjesse

Splendid
That's still doesn't explain why our HT is 800mhz. Overclocking is not a solution- even if it works. (btw, the multiplier is locked on everything except FX's)

I wonder what the real underlying issue is...

mpjesse

Splendid
It appears that way- but I'm going to stop short of saying it's an issue with ALL premium boards. Again, the only thing reporting a 800mhz HT frequency is AI Booster- everything else looks normal. My HT link is forced at 5x in the BIOS.

AI Booster could simply just be wrong. I'm currently researching this issue on Asus's site. I'll let ya'll know what I find (if anything).

-mpjesse

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
ok, but what i want to know is the cpu actually running slower, and will you notice a difference, or is this ai booster software just reporting it wrong.

mpjesse

Splendid
No, the CPU isn't running slower.

Hypertransport already has a ridiculously high theoretical bandwidth. I don't think there would be a measurable difference in 800mhz and 1000mhz. But I can't say for sure... give me a few more minutes to look into it...

-mpjesse

falsterbo

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
That's still doesn't explain why our HT is 800mhz. Overclocking is not a solution- even if it works. (btw, the multiplier is locked on everything except FX's)

I wonder what the real underlying issue is...

No, thats not correct...
I have an AMD64 3700+ San Diego on Asus A8N-SLI Premium. You can change the multiplier, but only lower.
If it goes on for example 11x, then you can lower it to 10x and push up the FSB...

endyen

Splendid
Just so you know, AI Booster is an OCing tool. As soon as you OC with it, it drops your HTT to a 4X multi. If you dont actually use it for OCing, it still thinks it has dropped the multiplier.
BTW, dont try to OC without lowering the HTT to 4X. It wont work, and it makes no dif anyhow if the HTT is 800 or 1000.

charlieyv

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
and guys... there is another issue... my hard drive is being recognized as a USB device... is a raptor 74gb and is connecte to sata power and to a sata port... also windows says the hdd size is 70gb not 74... what do u guys think?

JJ__BR

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I had the same problem. Try updating Ai Booster, BIOS, and nVidia NForce4 Chipset Driver (pay attention to its suggestions at instalation process) at www.asus.com.tw .
Then, forget about "AUTO" at "BIOS SETUP". Do your own choices. With a 11x Multiplier and a CPU Clock at 200 Mhz, and specially 2,80volts and 400Mhz for your memory modules (this has no overclocking for a AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ which has a 2,2Ghz clock (look for yours); try 2,85 volts if you are running 4 modules). Ask your memory manufacturer the best voltage; these are at least voltage for CORSAIR modules (They told me that).
With this you should have FSB of 1000Mhz.

Regards, JJ.

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
and guys... there is another issue... my hard drive is being recognized as a USB device... is a raptor 74gb and is connecte to sata power and to a sata port... also windows says the hdd size is 70gb not 74... what do u guys think?

The nForce drivers put your SATA drives into the removable device list. I guess it's to allow for hot-swapping.

As to the disk size, I have 4 WD740's. and they all report around the 70GB (68.91, 69.23, 69.24, 69.25) :roll: