2GB of RAM 4x512 or 2x1024???

Apex

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Ok,

I think that I have decided to bump up my RAM from 1GB to 2Gb. But right now I have 2x512. Would it be better to send the 2x512 back or just get another 2x512 sticks??

I am running the ASUS P5ND2-SLI board and there is 4 slots for RAM. Would it be better to go with 2x1Gb or would 4x512 sticks be fine??

Your thoughts would be great!!

Apex

ddg4005

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I went with 4 sticks of 512MB RAM for my board. Some might argue that 2 sticks is better because of lower latency some motherboards' inability to handle 4 populated DIMM slots.

I've had 2GB of memory in my box since last year and it's been stable as a rock. Whatever you decide to do definitely upgrade to 2GB. You won't regret it!!

G

Heres another question; does the RAM have to be in pairs? Could you go 1 x 2048??

biorhythm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
If I were you, i'd stick with the 2*512 and get another 2*512, if you really must.

Windows XP itself doesn't require much more than 512 under standard load and the actual accessing between the RAM modules would be negligible. During a game, or other heavy app, you will see virtually no difference between the two options.

As you already have the 512 mods, the inconvenience of sending them back would far outway the MINIMAL benefits, and I stress, MINIMAL!

I'm quite interested in what you actually use the system for? I have 512mb myself (2*256mb*Dual channel) and I believe 1 gb is easily sufficient (from experience of other peoples comps) in virtually all scenarios apart from SERIOUS gaming with the latest 3d card or heavy 3d CAD/design.

Save your cash for the AM2!!! Midsummer is the time to upgrade. :twisted:

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
1 stick of 2gig wont do anything for you, you are better of going 2 x 1gig.
there are really no differences between 2 x 1gb and 4 x 512mb, other than price or future upgrading...

how about 2 x 1gig so you have 3 gig total! lol

MSI K8N-Neo2
AMD X2 4200+
eVGA 6800gt
2gb (4x512mb) crucial ballistix

3dMark03 - 12324

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
yeah get 2x1gig of ocz el platinum 2-2-2-5 RAM, stuff owns.

how about 2 x 1gig so you have 3 gig total! lol

I've heard lots of conflicting things about 3gigs, or 1.5 gigs, but the people against it far outnumber the pro odd numbers. Actually the number doesn't matter, it just has to do with dual channel and stuff i think.

mpjesse

Splendid
If you're not overclocking, don't bother wasting your money on 2X1024GB. Just get another 2x512MB. If you're overclocking, 2X1024GB is a better option.

-mpjesse

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
If you're not overclocking, don't bother wasting your money on 2X1024GB. Just get another 2x512MB. If you're overclocking, 2X1024GB is a better option.

If you get time, flesh this out a bit more, OK? I've read similar advice here and there but haven't done much in the way of direct comparisons myself. I have bumped memory up and noticed performance improvements, but not enough to know the poop.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Yeah, i played that game once, :wink: , actually for 114 hours the first game, looking in every possible place, for every bit of material, and looked on the net for hints, its easy to beat, but can never beat those damn weapons, especially ruby, i came close with emerald, but not even close with ruby. :oops: :p

btw, i'm not really a nerd, it just bothers me when i can't win, or figure something out, and i get sucked in to trying forever. I didn't know chocobos were in that many games, since i never played them, and thought that all the games were unrelated to each other, from what i heard anyway.

chocobocorey

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
trick to beat ruby: u have to come into the battle with 2 of your character already dead, then u revive them, to avoid him making your characters unpayable : ) also make sure u got knights and two mimes. phonex and final attack also

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Yeah, i played that game once, :wink: , actually for 114 hours the first game, looking in every possible place, for every bit of material, and looked on the net for hints, its easy to beat, but can never beat those damn weapons, especially ruby, i came close with emerald, but not even close with ruby. :oops: :p

btw, i'm not really a nerd, it just bothers me when i can't win, or figure something out, and i get sucked in to trying forever. I didn't know chocobos were in that many games, since i never played them, and thought that all the games were unrelated to each other, from what i heard anyway.

[Pats on the back] We know your not a nerd :D

Seriously, those games were addictive, and those weapons were hard as Hell (I beat one, but not the other I think). The story lines of the games aren't related, but like most Japanese series, they have a lot of elements (character types, monsters, item, etc) that carry over from game to game. Sorry, I love those games and think its the best series in the gnere ever.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
yeah i know chocobos were earlier than VII, and im sure other guy did too. but everyone came to know and love the chocobo from VII.

Or hate them, chocobo racing/raising (was that in VII?, now I feel old) got a little old after awhile.

panda_man

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Go for the 2x1024 for two reasons:

1. They are faster
2. Future upgrades

And for the weapons on FFVII...

Ruby = 2 dead party members before you enter, then revive and proceed to beat him down.

Emerald = Get the underwater breathing materia, and put Pheonix with the Final Wish(I think?) materia, that way when he does his move that does 9999 to everyone, you get to come back.

Or you can get extremely lucky and use Cait Sith's ultimate like my friend did and kill him in one shot :p

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I know HOW to beat them, but they always just barly kill me, the bastards :evil: , and i tryed cait sith for a while, but he is sooo damn annoying, and i'm very unlucky, and he does his crappiest attack like evry time. :cry: :wink:

G-Man

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
U didnt give much insight as to what u use ur rig for or what kind of mem ur usin now or if this is a new just built rig. If ur not into gaming like BF2, i wouldnt even get anymore, just save ur dough. Are u gettin a bottleneck or somthin? If is a new build, I would def go for the 2x1024, unless ur planin on upgradin later. I think if ur trin to oc, its a must. and runnin 4x512 will bring u from 400 down to 333. But if ur not overclocking, guess dosnt matter. There must be some reason u have decided to get more memory. I myself like corsair.

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/configurator_search.html

kumana1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
yes and you will have another 2 slots free for upgrade 8)

you could also make the same arguement against future upgrades. for example, if/when 2x1024 becomes the minimum amount of ram required and you want to upgrade to 4gb of ram, but are torn between using 4x1024, or 2x2048. its a never-ending arguement, where each option will have its pros and cons. after all has been said and done, you will be left right back where you started... "which is the better route?"

moparman390

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Just go 2x1024, it gives you the best preformance and lets you have teo open sockets to upgrade to 4GB later if you want (the max as most DDR motherboards support is 4GB with a max of 1GB per DIMM).

SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
you could also make the same arguement against future upgrades. for example, if/when 2x1024 becomes the minimum amount of ram required and you want to upgrade to 4gb of ram
Don't forget the upgrade path is (sometimes) a new MoBo, but recycling the older memory. If that looks like the next step for you down the road a piece, the 2x1GB option will probably be better. (would you really want to populate your new fancy MoBo w/ four whole slots of 512s ?)

As for installing in pairs, that's for systems that support DDR2 memory. If your system doesn't support DDR2, then singles will work. And always check w/ the docs that came w/ your motherboard.