Windows XP Service pack 2

I installed windows service pack 2 yesterday. Now
everytime i reboot and windows xp loads up My documents
folder appears. At first I thought there was a new file
to run or installor something but there are no new files
in the folder. Is there a way of stopping my documents
from appearing?

All posts will be appreiciated ty

could you also reply by email as i can never find my
posts on microsoft lol.

Hi GG,

Try this: Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, uncheck the line "restore
previous folder windows at logon". Click apply/ok, do not reboot yet.

Start/run msconfig, on the general tab select the diagnostic mode. Click
apply/ok and reboot at prompted.

The folder should not show up now. Rerun msconfig, put the system back in
normal mode. Click apply/ok and reboot once more. Does this help?

For most users, this will resolve the issue.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 13:16:36 -0400, Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

> Hi GG,
>
> Try this: Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, uncheck the line "restore
> previous folder windows at logon". Click apply/ok, do not reboot yet.
>
> Start/run msconfig, on the general tab select the diagnostic mode. Click
> apply/ok and reboot at prompted.
>
> The folder should not show up now. Rerun msconfig, put the system back in
> normal mode. Click apply/ok and reboot once more. Does this help?
>
> For most users, this will resolve the issue.

Interesting technique, Rick. What's going on that triggers the behavior
after installing SP2? Just a quirk that shows up on some systems or using a
certain combination of settings or?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Hi Sharon,

A quirk as far as I can tell, I can't find any rhyme or reason to it.

--

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:58:24 -0400, Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

> Hi Sharon,
>
> A quirk as far as I can tell, I can't find any rhyme or reason to it.

Thanks, Rick. Appreciate the info.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

gg,

try checking on your startup folder if an icon of my documents is present.
(start > all programs > startup).

if you find a shortcut there, you can delete it.

hope this helps.
--
Regards,
Dennis Lazo

the email address from where this message has been sent from is unmonitored.
your replies may not be received. replies may be sent at
http://dennislazo.com/email/.
information herein is provided as is with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

GG wrote:
> could you also reply by email as i can never find my
> posts on microsoft lol.

No. You posted here, you can damned well make the effort to come back here.
I don't want my email address harvested, ta very much. For all I know you
could be collecting addresses to sell!

lose his marbles?

As a follow up.....

I am working privately with another user having this issue. While nothing
directly relates to the "My Documents" folder, there are 4 different spyware
programs, including Blazefind (which is the one I am beginning to suspect as
the problem) installed. Will let you (and others) know what I find.

--

> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:58:24 -0400, Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>
>> Hi Sharon,
>>
>> A quirk as far as I can tell, I can't find any rhyme or reason to it.
>
> Thanks, Rick. Appreciate the info.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Just an update:

Removing blazefind, as well as a few other spy programs, seems to have
resolved the issue with the "My Documents" folder opening at boot.

--

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:44:13 -0400, Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

> Just an update:
>
> Removing blazefind, as well as a few other spy programs, seems to have
> resolved the issue with the "My Documents" folder opening at boot.

Very cool that you've been able to work this out with those afflicted by
this problem, Rick. Thanks for the update.

Haven't seen this site before (seems to be a software reseller site) but
they have what looks like good directions for manual removal for blazefind:
http://www.spywareguide.com/product_show.php?id=724

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User