Installing Aircraft in FS9

There are many sites that offer free aircraft to install to FS9. How do
you install them?

John

Hi John,

On Sat, 07 May 2005 17:33:01 -0400, you wrote:

> There are many sites that offer free aircraft to install to FS9.

Yes. There are many sites that offer free aircraft, free sceneries,
free terrain mesh, free utilities, etc.

If you can be a bit more specific about the types of aircraft (and
other types of add-ons) you're interested in, we can perhaps direct
you to the "best of class" that we know of; both freeware and
payware. I say this before providing any specific links because when
I first started using this program, I went on a fairly indiscriminate
downloading/installing frenzy, and ended up removing nearly all of
the initial add-on planes I installed because I just wasn't very
happy with them. I still think a few freeware planes are quite nice,
but for the most part, I've become spoiled with payware planes. And
then of course, you may be more interested in airliners and such, so
my recommendations of nice freeware single engine GA planes wouldn't
do you much good.

In spite of what I just wrote above, here's a site that should provide
links to many of the major sites where freeware planes, terrain mesh,
sceneries, etc. can be found:

http://www.msfsgateway.com/

One site I don't see listed there is:

http://www.fsnordic.net/

> How do you install them?

Quilljar already mentioned looking for and reading the installation
"readme" files that come along with the add-ons. Even if you get
pretty comfortable with the basic structure of most aircraft folders,
I think it's still a good idea to read every installation readme
before installing each plane. Also, if a plane is made for fs2002
(fs8), and you want to install it in fs2004 (fs9), it may not work
correctly, so be as aware as you can about any possible version
compatibility issues (generally, only install planes that claim
complete compatibility with fs9, or at least have
update/compatibility patches available).

- --
Melissa

PGP Public Keys: http://www.freewebs.com/kuviahunnihautik/

John Leeth wrote:
> There are many sites that offer free aircraft to install to FS9. How
> do you install them?
>
> John

If you download one you can usually unzip it with Winzip first, then find a
..txt file inside which will give you the instructions. Basically, you should
have a folder which contains the aircraft texture, panel, cfg file etc. and
you just drag it into your FS9 aircraft folder.

I would suggest that you go into the FS9 folder first and open up a few
aircraft folders and files to get familiar with them and where they are. You
can't do any harm by just looking, but you may learn a lot.

--
Cheers,

Quilly

An individual reply goes into my spam filter

Just remember, when you unzip a file you should always unzip it in a
temporary directory and create a subdirectory in the name of the file you
are working with. Some of the files don't have everything put together the
correct way and if you should unzip in the FS9 aircraft directory all of
your sub files for this one plane will be all over the place.

Example: c:\temp\aircraft\meljet777 or c:\temp\scenery\Norway

once you have it unzipped you can now move it to the place you want.

Mark

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

> Hi John,
>
> On Sat, 07 May 2005 17:33:01 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> There are many sites that offer free aircraft to install to FS9.
>
> Yes. There are many sites that offer free aircraft, free sceneries,
> free terrain mesh, free utilities, etc.
>
> If you can be a bit more specific about the types of aircraft (and
> other types of add-ons) you're interested in, we can perhaps direct
> you to the "best of class" that we know of; both freeware and
> payware. I say this before providing any specific links because when
> I first started using this program, I went on a fairly indiscriminate
> downloading/installing frenzy, and ended up removing nearly all of
> the initial add-on planes I installed because I just wasn't very
> happy with them. I still think a few freeware planes are quite nice,
> but for the most part, I've become spoiled with payware planes. And
> then of course, you may be more interested in airliners and such, so
> my recommendations of nice freeware single engine GA planes wouldn't
> do you much good.
>
> In spite of what I just wrote above, here's a site that should provide
> links to many of the major sites where freeware planes, terrain mesh,
> sceneries, etc. can be found:
>
> http://www.msfsgateway.com/
>
> One site I don't see listed there is:
>
> http://www.fsnordic.net/
>
>> How do you install them?
>
> Quilljar already mentioned looking for and reading the installation
> "readme" files that come along with the add-ons. Even if you get
> pretty comfortable with the basic structure of most aircraft folders,
> I think it's still a good idea to read every installation readme
> before installing each plane. Also, if a plane is made for fs2002
> (fs8), and you want to install it in fs2004 (fs9), it may not work
> correctly, so be as aware as you can about any possible version
> compatibility issues (generally, only install planes that claim
> complete compatibility with fs9, or at least have
> update/compatibility patches available).
>
> - --
> Melissa
>
> PGP Public Keys: http://www.freewebs.com/kuviahunnihautik/

The two sites with, by far, the largest download libraries are
www.avsim.com and www.flightsim.com . I'd recommend using the AVSIM site as
it's generally much easier to access. Once on the AVSIM main page just click
on the File Library link. You'll need to sign-up to use the library but it's
free. Also check out the forums while you are there - they are a great
place to get answers to questions and to keep track of what's going on in
the flight sim world. You can find the most complete list of download site
that I know of here http://www.tony.smiths.btinternet.co.uk/fsgate1.html .

Trip

"John Leeth" <leethjnospam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> There are many sites that offer free aircraft to install to FS9. How do
> you install them?
>
> John

I guess the word "free" came through too strong. I firmly agree the
payware aircraft for the most part are much better in flight
characteristics as well as eye candy. I have payware Archer as well as
two 737s. My son is a 737 pilot an was amazed at the detail and
functionality and detail incorporated into the sims. It has been over a
year since I installed aircraft into flight sim 9, and just forgot how
to do it. Thanks for the links. They are now bookmarked.

John Leeth

Lawn Dart wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> On Sat, 07 May 2005 17:33:01 -0400, you wrote:
>

>>There are many sites that offer free aircraft to install to FS9.
>

> Yes. There are many sites that offer free aircraft, free sceneries,
> free terrain mesh, free utilities, etc.
>
> If you can be a bit more specific about the types of aircraft (and
> other types of add-ons) you're interested in, we can perhaps direct
> you to the "best of class" that we know of; both freeware and
> payware. I say this before providing any specific links because when
> I first started using this program, I went on a fairly indiscriminate
> downloading/installing frenzy, and ended up removing nearly all of
> the initial add-on planes I installed because I just wasn't very
> happy with them. I still think a few freeware planes are quite nice,
> but for the most part, I've become spoiled with payware planes. And
> then of course, you may be more interested in airliners and such, so
> my recommendations of nice freeware single engine GA planes wouldn't
> do you much good.
>
> In spite of what I just wrote above, here's a site that should provide
> links to many of the major sites where freeware planes, terrain mesh,
> sceneries, etc. can be found:
>
> http://www.msfsgateway.com/
>
> One site I don't see listed there is:
>
> http://www.fsnordic.net/
>

>>How do you install them?
>

> Quilljar already mentioned looking for and reading the installation
> "readme" files that come along with the add-ons. Even if you get
> pretty comfortable with the basic structure of most aircraft folders,
> I think it's still a good idea to read every installation readme
> before installing each plane. Also, if a plane is made for fs2002
> (fs8), and you want to install it in fs2004 (fs9), it may not work
> correctly, so be as aware as you can about any possible version
> compatibility issues (generally, only install planes that claim
> complete compatibility with fs9, or at least have
> update/compatibility patches available).
>
> - --
> Melissa
>
> PGP Public Keys: http://www.freewebs.com/kuviahunnihautik/

Download Flight Sim Manager 2.8
its FREE
@ http://www.ranainside.com/

There are many sites that offer free aircraft to install to FS9. How do
you install them?

John
sdfgsdfhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh