need tips for ocing a videocard

"is it possible to "burn in" so that it'll become stable?
"

SOme people swear by the burn-in process, as though the electronic components somehow "get used to" the higher freqs...

Personally, I feel they either have the potential to OC higher by "X" amount with stability, or..they don't.

Most 'reference level' gpus usually have another 10% available in core and/or mem speeds...

cleeve

Illustrious
I don't know if "burning in" is useful or not, But I have personally witnessed CPUs and GPUs go under load at a certain telperature, you leave them on all night under load and return the next morning and they are a degree or two cooler thereafter.

jeremy_pro

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Is that the factory speed for your MSI nVidia 6600gt 555/1200? My friend's ASUS 6600gt 256 htd wont go further than 1.08 using coolbits. Is there any other/better OC'ing program?

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
its wat i oced it too btw i got it to pass 3dmark 06 at 570/1300 and got 1825 woot

the weird thing is that i get no artifacts in 3dmark 06 but i get artifacts in COD2... my gpu temps werer 88 degrees celcius .. is that too high? is the artifaking cuz of the heat?

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Ummm... holy crap! 8O 88C? Are you nuts. That's close to killing your card. Components fail and melt at that temp.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
The trick with Video RAM overclocking is to raise the VidRAMs timings.

Raising TRP & TRAS have major impact on overclockability.

There are others aswell, mostly CL+X timings, where X is the variable.

Raising from CL3 to CL4 also helps overclock video RAM more.

You may need a more advanced tool to pull it off, and possibly better cooling.

cardcrash

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Ummm... holy crap! 8O 88C? Are you nuts. That's close to killing your card. Components fail and melt at that temp.

When I right click on my desktop, go to 'nVidia display', then 'temperature settings' it says 'core slowdown threshold 145*C'... what's that all about?? I can't seem to change it.

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
The trick with Video RAM overclocking is to raise the VidRAMs timings.

Raising TRP & TRAS have major impact on overclockability.

There are others aswell, mostly CL+X timings, where X is the variable.

Raising from CL3 to CL4 also helps overclock video RAM more.

You may need a more advanced tool to pull it off, and possibly better cooling.

where can u get at the timings? im just using coolbits atm.

also i set my core back to 555mhz. and it peaks at around 75 degrees. is that too hot? at stock it peaks at 65c

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
If you have an ATI card, then get ATI Tray Tools.

I haven't used an nVidia GeForce card since my (very old) GeForce 2 MX-400... so out of the loop on decent updated software to tweak nV cards.

RivaTuner might let you get at the timings.

Otherwise need to try different Video BIOS(es) on the card with higher timings to permit better overclocks. (Suggest the Winfast BIOS for the exact same GPU, etc you have, WDM driver might go 'zwa ?' but still works 100% fine).

Depends how willing you are to damage (beyond repair) a AU$500 - AU$1,000 dollar video card :p

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Cleeve,

I'm a hi-fi audio enthusiast and it's common knowledge that circuits need to "burn in" for at least a few dozen hours before they sound the way the manufacturer intended. This applies to everything, but especially amplifiers, which produce more heat than any other kind of component. Also, all audio equipment sounds better after it's been turned on for at least 20 minutes, and it is the most pronounced with tube equipment.

Electronic components contain lots of silicon, which is a metalloid and it expands somewhat once it's reached its operational temperature. This affects the electrical properties of the whole circuit- conductivity, capacitance, inductance, resistance, etc. The first 20 or 30 hours of use for any circuit is critical in its "break-in". I'm not surprised that enthusiasts do this with their graphics cards when they first try to overclock them, and I'm sure it would make a difference, if only a small one.

Cheers

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
wanna kno how i did it?

her eu go

i got an nvidia card so i d/l coolbits

installed OCed my MX440 which btw has the market value of a double quarter pounder from McDonalds

now running at 315 Mhz core clock and 420 Ram clock (stock was 250 and 333)

got SpeedFan

set it to tell me when my temps got to hot

removed ALL PCI slot covers

..yup thats it

i run 1 12cm fan thats generic :)

rusn great..WOOT CS;S at High with AA at 4x

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
If you know what type of Video RAM, and I am not just talking DDR/GDDR 1/2/3/4, etc, you are running then look up the specs of it, what other overclockers have taken that partical Video RAM to, and with what timings they did it.

Two similar GeForce 6600 GT cards may have totally different video memory installed on them, possibly both using RAM chips from Samsung, but totally different chips each with different potential and video memory ideal timings.

Heck, two 'very close revisions' of the same card may be quite different in this respect.

Can you open the card up and take a high res photo of the video ram chips ?, then someone might be able to provide some actual useful information.

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
lol i just pulled it out to clean the fan yesterday.. got temps down 4 degrees to 45 idle.. sigh still the hottest 6600gt out there. anywyas i dun care bout the card much any more.. im sticking ot 555/1200 untill i can afford a 7800gt. thx for all the help