darkenz

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I am building a gamer with an ASPIRE X-QPACK-AL/420 Aluminum MicroATX case, x2 4800+ toledo amd cpu (or fx-60, if there is really such a big diff - anyone?) an ASUS Extreme AX1900XTX/2DHTV Radeon X1900XTX 512MB gpu, 2 gb corsair xms ram with vantec copper heatsinks, twin wd3200jd hdd in raid/0, 550watt rosewill psu, win xp pro, SAMSUNG 204B 20.1" 5ms (G to G) LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 800:1 0.255mm Pixel Pitch, NEC Silver DVD Burner, MITSUMI Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal 8 in 1 Floppy Drive, etc.

My choice of mobo after much agonizing is the ASUS A8N-VM CSM Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD - is this a good choice?

I have no desire to go sli ever the expense/performance ratio sucks, so the largest micro-atx case i could find will do - laptops are too expensive for what you get 8O and mid-towers are too big to lug around :!:

This is a very lively, knowledgeable bunch here & this is also the next-to-last part needed, besides a good keyboard. I am an avid rpg, fps, rts'er in that order & can't wait to OMGWTFBBQ Oblivion, Gothic III & Titan Quest when they arrive. I also favor HL2 :D

Money is not really an issue here so let me have it with both barrels I prefer asus but all opinions will be considered & researched...BTW will all this stuff fit in this box? Called Aspire the guy had no clue just said no GPU larger than 10 or 10.5 inches :evil:

BTW Rosewill 550 watts OK? TIA for any help - nobody is expected to answer all of these questions at once THX

kais

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
do biostars have good oc options, anyone? or is there better matx mobos cuz im lookin for one too...for gaming

darkenz

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
do biostars have good oc options, anyone? or is there better matx mobos cuz im lookin for one too...for gaming

Here is info cut 'n paste from Conroe that convinced me to go with Biostar for my opteron 175:

(QUOTE: "The Biostar T-Force61000-939 is a mATX. I think the Foxconn has better on board video and sound but nothing much else. There is overclocking software but I don't use it, also setting in BIOS for automatic overclocking I haven't used eather. I just set HTT, HTT multiplyer, voltages, memory timings and CPU multiplyer manualy. That is the best way.

What I realy like about it is that all overclocking settings are in one place in BIOS setup, and memtest86 is in the BIOS too. Another nice feature is that if the setting don't work it boots anyway some thing called Watchdog sets things back to stock so you can adjust setting without clearing CMOS.

That looks like a real nice case. I still thinking of getting a Chiming Aspire lookalike. I would never get a Aspire PSU. Many, many, have started on fire." UNQUOTE)

Hope that helps friend :wink:

pharoah

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
yeah dont get an aspire psu mine started to go my hard drives started laggin so i turned it off and went to circuit city and got an antec true power 2 series psu i will make one comment on the chenming it only has one clear panel on the left side the aspire has 3 top left and right