Sign in with
Your question

best micro-atx mobo?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 24, 2006 4:59:40 AM

I am building a gamer with an ASPIRE X-QPACK-AL/420 Aluminum MicroATX case, x2 4800+ toledo amd cpu (or fx-60, if there is really such a big diff - anyone?) an ASUS Extreme AX1900XTX/2DHTV Radeon X1900XTX 512MB gpu, 2 gb corsair xms ram with vantec copper heatsinks, twin wd3200jd hdd in raid/0, 550watt rosewill psu, win xp pro, SAMSUNG 204B 20.1" 5ms (G to G) LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 800:1 0.255mm Pixel Pitch, MITSUMI Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal 8 in 1 Floppy Drive, NEC Silver DVD Burner, etc.

My choice of mobo after much agonizing is the ASUS A8N-VM CSM Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD - is this a good choice?

I have no desire to go sli ever the expense/performance ratio sucks, so the largest micro-atx case i could find will do - laptops are too expensive for what you get 8O and mid-towers are too big to lug around :!:

This is a very lively, knowledgeable bunch here & this is also the next-to-last part needed, besides a good keyboard. I am an avid rpg, fps, rts'er in that order & can't wait to OMGWTFBBQ Oblivion, Gothic III & Titan Quest when they arrive. I also favor HL2 :D 

Money is not really an issue here so let me have it with both barrels I prefer asus but all opinions will be considered & researched...BTW will all this stuff fit in this box? Called Aspire the guy had no clue just said no GPU larger than 10 or 10.5 inches :evil: 

BTW Rosewill 550 watts OK? TIA for any help - nobody is expected to answer all of these questions at once THX

More about : micro atx mobo

February 24, 2006 10:24:01 PM

I just set up my Biostar T-force-939 two days ago. I realy like it. Overclocks like a dream. I benched My 3200+ at 2.8ghz, just too hot with a stock cooler. The Asus had too many bad reviews at newegg--not that they are important.

I think a Opteron 165 would be a great choice. It will overclock past a stock FX60, with good air cooling like a XP-90/panaflow or a Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 64. I going to get the Artic because it's quiet.

I would not trust a Rosewill PSU. It may be good, but risky. It's a low-end brand.
February 25, 2006 1:59:03 AM

The Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS is a really nice board. So is the Biostar T-Force mentioned above. Some believe Biostar to be inferior boards, but that has not been my experience. I have worked on a lot of older machines still running with Biostar boards, and we have had success in the ones we have sold. That said, we prefer Foxconn. Stay away from Rosewill anything.
Related resources
February 27, 2006 2:57:13 PM

I'm thinking of getting a case like that. It needs a short CD-ROM or a small PSU. I read a thread that Enermax makes a good one that will fit. I'll try to find it.
February 28, 2006 10:41:31 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting a case like that. It needs a short CD-ROM or a small PSU. I read a thread that Enermax makes a good one that will fit. I'll try to find it.

i have heard of people getting an antec truepower 550-watt in the aspire case but i don't know what optical drive they were using... :roll:
February 28, 2006 11:13:23 PM

Quote:
The Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS is a really nice board. So is the Biostar T-Force mentioned above. Some believe Biostar to be inferior boards, but that has not been my experience. I have worked on a lot of older machines still running with Biostar boards, and we have had success in the ones we have sold. That said, we prefer Foxconn. Stay away from Rosewill anything.

Thank You I added the Foxconn to my wish-list :D  sounds good and the Rosewill is history I added the antec truepower 550-watt it should fit i think(?) :oops:  :cry:  :roll: it seems to be much smaller than even a 600-watt psu...
March 1, 2006 12:40:21 AM

I just finished a SFF microATX build, but mainly aimed at fast & quiet vs gaming. Used Athlon-64 X2 3800+ and Foxconn mobo (very nice, but would have preferred the ASUS, which I could not obtain here in Thailand). The major suggestion I have is: dump the case you are considering and go for the Silverstone SG-01, either black or silver. This is a major step up in quality and interior space while still remaining small. Silverstone is same league as LiAn and will give you a box appropriate to your components. If you go this route try to get the latest version of the SG-01, (I think thy call it "Enhanced") where the rear fan is on a slanted mount internal vs. stuck on the back. You can see the details of my build with pix as the lead article at ManicGeeks.com.
March 1, 2006 1:53:13 AM

Thanks - & BTW i went to the website & it is called the E (or evolution) series I am definitely going to send for it even tho' i can't find it on newegg 8O

do you think the optional SilverStone SFF Cross Flow Fan (SST-FX121) for Silverstone SST-SG01 fan would get in the way of the asus /radeon x1900xtx gpu? it looks like a good extra fan!!! 8) :D  & i intend to oc the RAM, mobo, & cpu before i am done :D  so i need all the chill i can lay my hands on kudos for the idea i thought the aspire was the largest m-atx case, & even tho' it looks ccoler then the silverstone it is size that matters for airflow here, & is IMHO a much better-quality build...BTW what is better about the asus mobo you said you would rather get
March 1, 2006 2:04:09 AM

The crossflow fan is probably worth the effort for you but not in my case, everything inside mine is very cool (temp and looks). I don't know about the clearance because a) did not have and b) I used Leadtek 7800GT, which fit in very easy. Re ASUS, I just like them better and never before used Foxconn. The Foxconn is working out real fine and everything is well laid out. I cannot vouch for o/c needs re BIOS because I am not o/c-ing; ASUS should be real good for that. I think you will like the Silverstone quality. Make shure your PSU has modular wire connections to keep inside clutter to minimum.
March 1, 2006 2:12:51 AM

I don't know how much you plan on overclocking or even the CPU you will use but with 1.7 Vcore and 3.3 Vdimm I'd wager to say you will never out overclock a Biostar T-Force with another mATX mobo. It's clearly in the Ultra-D catagory.
March 1, 2006 2:18:54 AM

i am listing here an email i recieved back from aspire when i asked them about a power supply

this psu is too big. you may try Aspire 550W Chameleon PSU.

Here is the guideline:

1.All standard size Micro ATX motherboards will fit into this case. If
you
try to remove motherboard from name brand systems such Dell, HP or
Compaq,
mostly they won't fit.
2.CPU cooler:not exceeds 2.85" height.
3.Video Card:The case will take Video Card up to 10" in length.
4.You can use standard size ATX PSU, 150mm x 145mm x 86mm (5.9" x 5.7"
x
3.4") - W x L x H. Just make sure your 5.25" drives are short
versions(Lite-On and some Sony drives are short version), otherwise
they
won't fit. I believe these days most of the 5.25" drives are short
versions.
Also keep in mind, it is going to very tight fit.
March 1, 2006 2:30:53 AM

Quote:
I don't know how much you plan on overclocking or even the CPU you will use but with 1.7 Vcore and 3.3 Vdimm I'd wager to say you will never out overclock a Biostar T-Force with another mATX mobo. It's clearly in the Ultra-D catagory.

I plan on using an Opteron 175 Denmark build & oc to 2.65 max.

The RAM will be OCZ Platinum Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 500 (PC 4000).

I am unclear what you mean by the "Biostar T-Force" mobo is that a m-atx?

Also what is 1.7 Vcore and 3.3 Vdimm? Are they utilities to oc or mobo specs? I am not the one doing the work I am just buying the parts a friend will build for me.

As for oc'ing the mobo I am unsure & open to suggestions on the Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard i am going to buy. If it helps overall gaming i am for it - if not needed or dangerous to life of mobo i will mildly oc i just have to find a balance, something between OMGWTFBBQ & temporarily insane for deep-frying current & near-future 1st-tier games i.e. BF2, HL2, Oblivion, Q4, Rise Of Legends, Prey, Titan Quest etc. etc. 8)
March 1, 2006 2:37:52 AM

Quote:
i am listing here an email i recieved back from aspire when i asked them about a power supply

this psu is too big. you may try Aspire 550W Chameleon PSU.

Here is the guideline:

1.All standard size Micro ATX motherboards will fit into this case. If
you
try to remove motherboard from name brand systems such Dell, HP or
Compaq,
mostly they won't fit.
2.CPU cooler:not exceeds 2.85" height.
3.Video Card:The case will take Video Card up to 10" in length.
4.You can use standard size ATX PSU, 150mm x 145mm x 86mm (5.9" x 5.7"
x
3.4") - W x L x H. Just make sure your 5.25" drives are short
versions(Lite-On and some Sony drives are short version), otherwise
they
won't fit. I believe these days most of the 5.25" drives are short
versions.
Also keep in mind, it is going to very tight fit.

I am going with the SilverStone SST-SG01-SE (Evolution Model) Small Form Factor Desktop Case - Silver because it has more room - that is what I was looking for. The Aspire looks better but I need ROOOOOM for all this hdwe I am cramming in there - the 'stone even has an optional side-scroller fan & money is no object here I just want a solid build like the last 5 comps I have had built, or upgraded for friends...this case takes standard ATX psu's & the antec truepower 550watt psu should fit thanks for the info man :) 
March 1, 2006 2:43:05 AM

well let me say i got a micro board 2 gigs of ram 2sata 150 drives in a raid0 dvd burner a floppy and a 10in1 flash card reader a dedicated vid card this aspire case will hold more than what ya think from what you got listed it would hold it all if ya still wanted one
March 1, 2006 3:20:52 AM

Quote:
well let me say i got a micro board 2 gigs of ram 2sata 150 drives in a raid0 dvd burner a floppy and a 10in1 flash card reader a dedicated vid card this aspire case will hold more than what ya think from what you got listed it would hold it all if ya still wanted one

This is what is going in the case - (how warm does your Aspire run)?

NEC Silver IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3550A

MITSUMI Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal 8 in 1 FDD

Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JD 320GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 x2 in Raid,0

Apollo ENF656-GHW-INPR 56Kbps 56K V.92 PCI Fax Modem

Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD mobo

ASUS Extreme AX1900XTX/2DHTV Radeon X1900XTX 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Ready PSU

Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W PSU

OCZ Platinum Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Unbuffered Dual Channel

& the opty 175 with perhaps a zalman if stock HS&F doesn't cool good enough when I oc the CPU...I am going to use rounded cables where available Thanks :D  8) you guys are very helpful & this is my 1st m-atx system it has me very nervous spending nearly 3g's 8O
March 1, 2006 3:32:32 AM

ok as far as temps ive never seen my cpu go over 40c and that was after playing doom3 for hours your hardware will fit the only item i would question is that vid card because i cant seem to find its physical dimensions
but if its not over 10 inches long the card will fit
March 1, 2006 3:34:48 AM

Quote:
ok as far as temps ive never seen my cpu go over 40c and that was after playing doom3 for hours your hardware will fit the only item i would question is that vid card because i cant seem to find its physical dimensions

what kind of cpu & cooler, vid card do u have?
March 1, 2006 3:42:30 AM

i upgraded mine just the other day im running an opty 165 denmark and a radeon x1600 pro and the cooler is a thermaltake rx series
March 1, 2006 3:46:00 AM

Quote:

I know i am being a pain, but i was wondering if you can fit an All in Wonder X1900 in there.

According to ATI.com

Dimensions
Length: 10 inches
Height: Full Height
Width: Single Slot Cooling
March 1, 2006 3:46:50 AM

yup it would fit
March 1, 2006 3:47:29 AM

what psu are u using? with a 5.25" optical and FDD, (i can't do mini-optical drive, too unreliable to me), i want to run an antec atx psu 550watt as listed above...pics look crowded but since i'm a noob to m-atx insides i take that into consideration - your temp is VERY good must have terrific airflow...the aspire would save me almost 100USD over the silverstone...hmm :?
as for the big honkin' gpu i will have to call asus cannot find any measurements on the web - friend/tech sez none are over 10" now but could not say 1000% sure :roll:
March 1, 2006 3:52:22 AM

well right now im running its stock psu that was the only thing i couldnt find locally so its on order i ordered the one aspire recomended the 550 watt aspire chameleon
March 1, 2006 3:54:15 AM

Oh and i forgot, what kind of a case is that, i was thinking of buying an Aopen or a shuttle barebone, and add a decent soundcard and a videocard.

I asked if AIW X1900 would fit, but i dont even know which case is that. :D 
March 1, 2006 4:03:18 AM

is it the same size as a standard atx 550-watt psu or special-made for the aspire? the reviews on the aspire psu's are not so good i am shying away from them after many hours spent looking into that aspect - better off with an antec, silverstone, coolermax etc. BTW a very heavy psu is what you want the lighter ones do not have the ability to maintain steady wattages rated on the box under heavy loads, like DOOM 3 for hours on end (like me!!!!), and the wattage listed on cheaper brands is often MAXIMUM wattage, not ACTUAL wattage...if u want random, unexplained shutdowns & other instability issues the best way to do that is to cut corners on your heart, the psu...just my 2 cents but i have had cheap psu's & lived to regret it - but only ONCE :oops: 
March 1, 2006 4:05:27 AM

yes a standard size atx psu will fit You can use standard size ATX PSU, 150mm x 145mm x 86mm (5.9" x 5.7"
x
3.4")

just in case i might just call and cancell the order and order another brand of psu
March 1, 2006 4:18:43 AM

Cool case, how did i miss it in newegg? :p 
March 1, 2006 4:22:46 AM

yes it is a cool case after building one then upgrading to anther mobo cpu etc i really like it the only real tricky part is when it comes time to run ya cables i started with all flat ribbon cables but have all round or sata cables now take a little time on this step so it will look neat and also so ya dont have cables interfearing with the fans but other than that one step in the build its a nice package
March 1, 2006 4:25:58 AM

i am thinking about rounded cables with a modular psu anyone know a good brand that is modular? :) 
March 1, 2006 4:53:32 AM

i am playing it safe going with Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12V ATX12V 550W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, TUV, CB, FCC CLASS B, CUL - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...
you can't go wrong with this brand, maybe a rosewill is good - i looked for reviews though, kinda hard to find
March 1, 2006 12:06:29 PM

Quote:

The RAM will be OCZ Platinum Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 500 (PC 4000).

Also what is 1.7 Vcore and 3.3 Vdimm? Are they utilities to oc or mobo specs? I am not the one doing the work I am just buying the parts a friend will build for me.

As for oc'ing the mobo I am unsure & open to suggestions on the Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard i am going to buy. If it helps overall gaming i am for it - if not needed or dangerous to life of mobo i will mildly oc i just have to find a balance, something between OMGWTFBBQ & temporarily insane for deep-frying current & near-future 1st-tier games i.e. BF2, HL2, Oblivion, Q4, Rise Of Legends, Prey, Titan Quest etc. etc. 8)

An opti will most likely do what you want with 1.45 Vcore most mobo have that, and the OCZ platinum will need 2.8-2.9v Vdimm. ALot of mobos only have 2.7v. Good overclocking mobos have VOLTAGE.

The Biostar T-Force61000-939 is a mATX. I think the Foxconn has better on board video and sound but nothing much else. There is overclocking software but I don't use it, also setting in BIOS for automatic overclocking I haven't used eather. I just set HTT, HTT multiplyer, voltages, memory timings and CPU multiplyer manualy. That is the best way.

What I realy like about it is that all overclocking settings are in one place in BIOS setup, and memtest86 is in the BIOS too. Another nice feature is that if the setting don't work it boots anyway some thing called Watchdog sets things back to stock so you can adjust setting without clearing CMOS.

That looks like a real nice case. I still thinking of getting a Chiming Aspire lookalike. I would never get a Aspire PSU. Many, many, have started on fire.

Overclocking thread:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=...
alot of good stickies around to read.

PSUs to avoid:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=974240

PSUs to get:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1000883

The Antec is smaller than the Aspire, two inches lees deep.
Antec True Power 2 550w Dimensions: 5.9" (W) x 3.4" (H) x 5.5"(D)
Aspire 550W Chameleon 5.9" x 5.7" x 3.4"
March 1, 2006 6:34:11 PM

hey conroe im glad you pointed that out about the antec i think im getting one of those now
March 1, 2006 11:30:20 PM

Quote:

An opti will most likely do what you want with 1.45 Vcore most mobo have that, and the OCZ platinum will need 2.8-2.9v Vdimm. ALot of mobos only have 2.7v. Good overclocking mobos have VOLTAGE.

The Biostar T-Force61000-939 is a mATX. I think the Foxconn has better on board video and sound but nothing much else. There is overclocking software but I don't use it, also setting in BIOS for automatic overclocking I haven't used eather. I just set HTT, HTT multiplyer, voltages, memory timings and CPU multiplyer manualy. That is the best way.

What I realy like about it is that all overclocking settings are in one place in BIOS setup, and memtest86 is in the BIOS too. Another nice feature is that if the setting don't work it boots anyway some thing called Watchdog sets things back to stock so you can adjust setting without clearing CMOS.

That looks like a real nice case. I still thinking of getting a Chiming Aspire lookalike. I would never get a Aspire PSU. Many, many, have started on fire.

Overclocking thread:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=...
alot of good stickies around to read.

PSUs to avoid:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=974240

PSUs to get:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1000883

The Antec is smaller than the Aspire, two inches lees deep.
Antec True Power 2 550w Dimensions: 5.9" (W) x 3.4" (H) x 5.5"(D)
Aspire 550W Chameleon 5.9" x 5.7" x 3.4"

I will print all this out & look into it some more...your logic is good but I am not a builder I buy the parts & a friend builds for me for a good rate - the mobo info is VERY helpful & i would never use an aspire psu they are crap. I am going with the SilverStone SST-SG01-SE (Evolution Model) Small Form Factor Desktop Case (Accept Micro ATX M/B)- Silver - very slick look it up & larger than the Aspire with rounded edges and wide-open design for modders... :D 
!