• Product
Last response: in Motherboards
February 24, 2006 5:06:29 AM

A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Opteron 165
2 X 1G Corsair 3500LL Pro
2 X BFG 7800 GT OC
Raptor 150
16X DVD Light Scribe Dual Layer Burner (Generic)
1.44 floppy (Generic)
Antec P180 case
Antec NEO HE 550 PSU

Background.

Put system together, threw in XP, and everything was loading but then the computer would just randomly shut down.

Found out that my Antec NEO HE 550 and ASUS MB don't get along. Antec, ASUS, and my local retailer told me to update the bios.

During the EZ Flash bios update, the computer shutdown again.

Now the computer doesn't post at all. There is power and the CD-ROM will spin up, but no vid and no post. The floppy never reads so can't use that. I tried multiple times to use the original support CD, but no luck there either. I also cleared the RTC RAM three times. Even tried taking one stick of RAM out and just putting one in the B1 slot. (knew that wouldn't work since there wasn't a RAM problem to begin with).

Funny thing is, the computer doesn't randomly shutdown anymore, so technically the original problem was solved!

So as of now I have a large $2K space heater in my room. Please help me fix my system.

Thanks!

Hey everyone, I wanted to tell you all that an ASUS customer rep contacted me within 12 hours of me submitting a ticket to them. We worked things out and I'll have a new bios chip here on Monday or Tuesday. Although I tend to agree that this board was released without enough testing, I have to say that I am ecstatic about actually getting timely, polite, and quality customer support from a tech company.

Looks like I'll be staying an ASUS customer.

More about : a8n32 sli deluxe post vid failed bios update

February 24, 2006 9:13:13 PM

Hey everyone, I wanted to tell you all that an ASUS customer rep contacted me within 12 hours of me submitting a ticket to them. We worked things out and I'll have a new bios chip here on Monday or Tuesday. Although I tend to agree that this board was released without enough testing, I have to say that I am ecstatic about actually getting timely, polite, and quality customer support from a tech company.

Looks like I'll be staying an ASUS customer.
February 24, 2006 10:05:29 PM

it might be your psu ive read were the antec neo psu dont work to good with sli you might try just one video card and see what happens
Related resources
March 7, 2006 3:56:59 AM

Had a similar prob once ,and with an Asus MOBO too,only it was a power outage during a flash,Ouch and another even bigger OUCH,,..Anyhow ,turns out that there was/is a built in boot block,which means that even without ,or with a corrupt bios the bios can be flashed from a Dos disk,it is done with a prepared disk and an auto.bat,the whole thing is done blind of course,.
Don't mind saying that was a mildly unnerving experience,to say the least,
and,no I do not remember the switches for the auto.bat..Just my 2c.. :?
March 8, 2006 3:13:13 AM

I can tell you from personal experiance that the neo he 550 does not work with the A8N 32 sli mother board. That was the first PSU that I tried and it would be going along just fine and just shut down. It would happen under load most often but at times it would just do it with no load.

Now I have just put a silverston Zues ST56ZF and problem solved. No more shut downs. This is a great PSU has a 38amp 12V rail and is super stable. It will compete head to head with the PC power and cooling 510 for a lot less money. It is comparable in price to the Neo 550 HE and a heck of a lot better.

Sorry You had to go through all of this. Get rid of the antec and it won't happen again. I have had several Antec PSU's that have worked just fine but not with this mother board.

Good Luck

Al
!