Wait for new AMD Plateform? a wise choice or not

Wasay

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Assalam o Alikum

i am planing to buy me a AMD system. But what is confusing me is that AMD will be lanching a new plateform in JUN. So is it worth spending my money on a platefrom which will become sort of obsolete after 3 or 4 months.

i can wait till june only if any one can answer the following questions.

1- How much chances are there that the new plateform launch will be on time, that is Q2 of this year and it will not be further delayed?

2- What verity of Processors are expected to be launched? i mean only flagship processor will be introduced in the begining or a full rage of Processor will be launched?

3- Could i will be able to buy a processsor in 250$ after the launch or i will have to wait a long time for the availablity of processors of lower configuration to hit the market?

Please help me out.
Thanks You

Assalam o Alikum
Wasay Khan

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
1- AMD is waiting for DDR2 800, the platform is already working (see the THG article)

2- Full Range. Again, see the THG article.

3- Probably.

However, there will be little to no performance boost from this, and since the cost of memory will be much higher, you're probably better just buying something now, or waiting till around that time and jumping on the inevitable price drop. However, nothing will be made obsolite or be blown away performance wise, so you won't be kicking yourself for buying now, particularly at the price point you're talking about.

Personaly, I'm a big fan of the Dual Core CPUs. If you can spend a bit more, go for the 3800 X2. Single App performance may not be as good as other CPUs, but for multi-tasking or running lots of things in the background, it's fantastic. And you won't get those occasional system lags when the CPU maxes out, since you'll sill have the other core going as well. In my personal oppinion, it's well worth the extra $30-50 you'll end up shelling out.

"If you can wait, you should, since s939 prices will fall also, "

People are anticipating socket 939 pri9ce drops, but, IMO, unless AM2/DDR2 rigs perform at least as well as the PC3200 rigs, socket 939 mobos and processors could instead RISE in price....

whats good bout AMD at the moment is that the older chipsets work with the new AM2 (thanks to HTT) so the chipsets are already mature.

if you can wait, wait for conroe - if intel says its 20% quicker then AM2 (and if it is) then AMD will be forced to drop prices to compete and you will get an even better deal (or if you save more you could get a faster AMD again or even a conroe)