Installing WinXP Home on 250GB Seagate 7200.8 Problem

sonnyisthinkn

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Okay I have a new 250GB Seagate and want it as the primary boot drive. Right now I have a 160GB Maxtor as the boot drive. After I write 0's to the Seagate, I put in my restore CD that includes some drivers and WinXP Home. After installation, copying files, etc., it restarts. I see the Windows XP logo with the progress bar sliding to the right, THEN BAM! Screen goes blank and I see nothing and nothing happens afterwards. I checked the jumpers, tried different IDE cables. Also I tried writing 0's to the Seagate, then loading it as a slave drive to my Maxtor drive, then copying all files, etc. to it. Then I try to load the Seagate again as the primary master drive and adjusted the jumpers, disconnected the Maxtor, and the same thing happens. I called Seagate 3 times but nothing has worked so far. One of them suggested I get the retail WinXP but I really don't want to have to. My PC manufacturer is long gone so no support from them. I don't know what to do now but look elsewhere for help.

Is there a way to make a Windows XP installation disc from my restore CD or off my Maxtor drive? Any other possible solutions? Anyone else who's had this problem before? Thanks, and I really appreciate everyone's help.'

edit: I don't think it's a problem with recognizing storage over 137GB, it shows in BIOS as 250GB. I also believe my motherboard is proprietary. Rest of the system includes a P4 2.8GHz w/o HT, 9800 pro, sound blaster live, dvd-rom, dvd+rw, and floppy drive. The system is a little over 3 years old. Thanks again.

pcrig

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Okay I have a new 250GB Seagate and want it as the primary boot drive. Right now I have a 160GB Maxtor as the boot drive. After I write 0's to the Seagate, I put in my restore CD that includes some drivers and WinXP Home. After installation, copying files, etc., it restarts. I see the Windows XP logo with the progress bar sliding to the right, THEN BAM! Screen goes blank and I see nothing and nothing happens afterwards. I checked the jumpers, tried different IDE cables. Also I tried writing 0's to the Seagate, then loading it as a slave drive to my Maxtor drive, then copying all files, etc. to it. Then I try to load the Seagate again as the primary master drive and adjusted the jumpers, disconnected the Maxtor, and the same thing happens. I called Seagate 3 times but nothing has worked so far. One of them suggested I get the retail WinXP but I really don't want to have to. My PC manufacturer is long gone so no support from them. I don't know what to do now but look elsewhere for help.

Is there a way to make a Windows XP installation disc from my restore CD or off my Maxtor drive? Any other possible solutions? Anyone else who's had this problem before? Thanks, and I really appreciate everyone's help.'

edit: I don't think it's a problem with recognizing storage over 137GB, it shows in BIOS as 250GB. I also believe my motherboard is proprietary. Rest of the system includes a P4 2.8GHz w/o HT, 9800 pro, sound blaster live, dvd-rom, dvd+rw, and floppy drive. The system is a little over 3 years old. Thanks again.

Is this PATA ATA 133 drive ?

Win XP with NO Service pack 2?

Do you have 80 wire cables?

There is several possibilities, it is NOT drive but crappy windows.
It is likely that WINDOWS XP IS FIGHTING with BIOS does not recognize yet larger than 137 GB HD drives. You must format it first as a slave as a primery partition. DO NOT USE SEAGATE cd!

If the drive is NOT properly grounded it might also happen only under windows 2000/XP. Run a ground wire to the drive enclosure. Use 80 wire IDE cables ONLY

Can you check if there is a newer BIOS for that pc?
What brand it is?

I presume you can not yet boot after installation prior to initialization in a "safe mode"?

I might be possible that your PC have hard time to initialize the network and is freezing on first boot attempting to initialize usualy network components.

Remove your PCI Modem and network card when installing windows.

It happen that on first boot windows XP while initializing will "get lost".

Connect it as a slave and using windows XP partition and format, than remove MAXTOR and with sole disk drive load OS on a primery partition.

sonnyisthinkn

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

-----yes, not sure about the 133 part though

----correct, no sp2, not even sure it has sp1 (3 yrs old)

----i have the one that came with the seagate drive and rounded ide cables. i tried using both to load xp on the seagate

It is likely that WINDOWS XP IS FIGHTING with BIOS does not recognize yet larger than 137 GB HD drives. You must format it first as a slave as a primery partition. DO NOT USE SEAGATE cd!

If the drive is NOT properly grounded it might also happen only under windows 2000/XP. Run a ground wire to the drive enclosure. Use 80 wire IDE cables ONLY

----will try and update what happens

What brand it is?

----It's an Intel motherboard. D845PEBT2 -> will try to update the bios and update what happens after

I presume you can not yet boot after installation prior to initialization in a "safe mode"?

----correct

I might be possible that your PC have hard time to initialize the network and is freezing on first boot attempting to initialize usualy network components.

Connect it as a slave and using windows XP partition and format, than remove MAXTOR and with sole disk drive load OS on a primery partition.[/quote]

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Why don't you clone the old drive to the new with an imaging app?

Assuming the old drive is still working okay, jumper the old as Master; jumper the new as Slave; both on the Primary IDE connection.

Install an app like Acronis True Image (my favorite; easy to use; user-friendly), and follow the directions to clone a drive.

Check your BIOS version on your next cold boot. Should be a P number, like P08, P10, etc.

Then go to Intel's site and see if they created a later version for your mobo. The D845 mobos are good all-around office boards. Never had a problem with the 90-100 I installed.

pcrig

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006

-----yes, not sure about the 133 part though

----correct, no sp2, not even sure it has sp1 (3 yrs old)

----i have the one that came with the seagate drive and rounded ide cables. i tried using both to load xp on the seagate

It is likely that WINDOWS XP IS FIGHTING with BIOS does not recognize yet larger than 137 GB HD drives.

You must format it first as a slave as a primery partition. DO NOT USE SEAGATE cd!

----will try and update what happens

What brand it is?

----It's an Intel motherboard. D845PEBT2 -> will try to update the bios and update what happens after

----correct

Connect it as a slave and using windows XP partition and format, than remove MAXTOR and with sole disk drive load OS on a primery partition.

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bt2/

BIOS:

Title Ver.# P10 Date 8/21/2003

1. Intel Iflash BIOS update [BT84520A.86A.0024.P10.IB.EXE] (730KB) P10 8/21/2003 Download

BT84520A.86A.0024.P10: Intel® Iflash BIOS update: Use the DOS based Iflash utility to update your BIOS on all operating systems.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=899&OSFullName=OS+Independent&lang=eng&strOSs=38&submit=Go%21

sonnyisthinkn

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I updated the Bios and tried loading the seagate again with the new bios but the same thing happens.

Can you elaborate more on this?

edit: After I used disk management to make a primary partition, and an extended partition for storage, I install winxp with the restore cd (cat5 disconnected and no 56k modem). After it installed and my comp. restarted, I got the error "Error loading OS"'

... :(

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Read my first post, and try that method. You should change the drive letter for the Rom drive to "M" (or above) at this point.

After you finish the clone, shut down, disconnect the drives and reverse the data cable and the jumper on the Seagate, now becoming the Master. Leave the data cable off the Maxtor, and see if you boot to your desktop with the Seagate.

If that's successful, shut down, disconnect the drives and temporarily reconnect the Max ALONE as Master. With a 98 boot floppy, delete all the partitions on the Max using fdisk. Esc out and reboot to effect changes. DO NOT FORMAT AT THIS TIME. Remove floppy, shut down, and reconnect the drives with Seagate as Master and the Maxtor as Slave, and boot back up.

In Disk Management, I would set up the Maxtor for your storage needs. Creating partitions, and formatting each.