Adobe Acrobat Reader for Windows Mobile 2003

September 25, 2004 7:07:06 PM

I have an Ipaq rx3715 and wish to view PDF files on it.

I trawled through the Adobe website but could only find Acrobat Reader for
2002, not Windows Mobile 2003 as installed on my PPC.

I downloaded it anyhow in the hope that it might work but couldn't even open
the file without receiving the "Windows has encountered an error, do you
wish to report it?" message.

Has anybody has success in installing a PDF reader on one of the new Ipaq's?
If so, what, where and how?

Thanks in advance for your help.....
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 7:07:07 PM

Have you checked the companion CD that came with your PocketPC for a version of Adobe Reader that
you can install?

Beyond that, how are you trying to install the version you downloaded from Adobe?

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Charles Darwin" <charlie_darwin@hotmail.com> wrote in news:4155191c_1
@news.iprimus.com.au:

> I have an Ipaq rx3715 and wish to view PDF files on it.
>
> I trawled through the Adobe website but could only find Acrobat Reader
for
> 2002, not Windows Mobile 2003 as installed on my PPC.
>
> I downloaded it anyhow in the hope that it might work but couldn't even
open
> the file without receiving the "Windows has encountered an error, do
you
> wish to report it?" message.
>
> Has anybody has success in installing a PDF reader on one of the new
Ipaq's?
> If so, what, where and how?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.....

the one I have here is downloaded from acrobat, it is version 1.0, build
20011130. Don't know if that is the last and latest, but it works here,
on my 2210, under CE 2003.

I simply downloaded the file and started the install-program on my
desktop, with the 2210 connected to it, and activesync active, just like
I install almost any and every other piece of PPC-software. It installed
itself on my 2210 in a jiffy and works without any problems....

--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 7:07:08 PM

SoftSpot wrote:
>> "Charles Darwin" <charlie_darwin@hotmail.com> wrote in
>> news:4155191c_1 @news.iprimus.com.au:
>>
>>> I have an Ipaq rx3715 and wish to view PDF files on it.
>>>
>>> I trawled through the Adobe website but could only find Acrobat
>>> Reader for 2002, not Windows Mobile 2003 as installed on my PPC.
>>>
>>> I downloaded it anyhow in the hope that it might work but couldn't
>>> even open the file without receiving the "Windows has encountered
>>> an error, do you wish to report it?" message.
>>>
>>> Has anybody has success in installing a PDF reader on one of the
>>> new Ipaq's? If so, what, where and how?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for your help.....
>>>

>> the one I have here is downloaded from acrobat, it is version 1.0,
>> build 20011130. Don't know if that is the last and latest, but it
>> works here, on my 2210, under CE 2003.
>>
>> I simply downloaded the file and started the install-program on my
>> desktop, with the 2210 connected to it, and activesync active, just
>> like I install almost any and every other piece of PPC-software. It
>> installed itself on my 2210 in a jiffy and works without any
>> problems....

Ditto on 5550.
--
Twas a woman who drove me to drink.
I never had the courtesy to thank her.

I have that version, the only one ever released :(  , on my Axim X-30. That's
significant because it is running WM2003SE like the new Ipaq.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Scrote" <scrote@nospam.dontwork.sodoff.net> wrote in message
> SoftSpot wrote:
> >> "Charles Darwin" <charlie_darwin@hotmail.com> wrote in
> >> news:4155191c_1 @news.iprimus.com.au:

> >> the one I have here is downloaded from acrobat, it is version 1.0,
> >> build 20011130. Don't know if that is the last and latest, but it
> >> works here, on my 2210, under CE 2003.
> >>
> >> I simply downloaded the file and started the install-program on my
> >> desktop, with the 2210 connected to it, and activesync active, just
> >> like I install almost any and every other piece of PPC-software. It
> >> installed itself on my 2210 in a jiffy and works without any
> >> problems....
> >>

> Ditto on 5550.
> --
> Twas a woman who drove me to drink.
> I never had the courtesy to thank her.
> W.C.Fields

September 26, 2004 6:28:05 AM

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 14:21:50 -0600, "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices"
<sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have that version, the only one ever released :(  , on my Axim X-30. That's
>significant because it is running WM2003SE like the new Ipaq.

Hi Sven,
I'm looking to buy my very first PDA -- are you saying that the only
reader release by Adobe is 3 years old? :-( Wow, that's a low blow...
They have added a lot of PDF specs since, and many files (presumably)
are not readable by such an old reader. Hm... makes me think twice,
because for me PDFs are essential -- maybe I should look into buying a
Palm Tungsten T3 or Tungsten C (PDF is really well supported there).

That's a damn shame though. Why would that be? is Microsoft pushing
their LIT format? is Adobe retaliating because of that? Damn!
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 6:28:06 AM

No, I'm saying it's about two years old. It took Adobe almost two years to
get around to releasing it :(  It actually does work fairly well and
supports the reflow tags that were introduced in Acrobat 5 (I believe). You
also have the option of using ClearVue PDF viewer, or doing what I like to
do if I have the time. I run my PDFs through Repligo (you just print them to
a Repligo file.) They usually turn out about half as big.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"@" <-@-.-> wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 14:21:50 -0600, "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices"
> <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I have that version, the only one ever released :(  , on my Axim X-30.
That's
> >significant because it is running WM2003SE like the new Ipaq.
>
> Hi Sven,
> I'm looking to buy my very first PDA -- are you saying that the only
> reader release by Adobe is 3 years old? :-( Wow, that's a low blow...
> They have added a lot of PDF specs since, and many files (presumably)
> are not readable by such an old reader. Hm... makes me think twice,
> because for me PDFs are essential -- maybe I should look into buying a
> Palm Tungsten T3 or Tungsten C (PDF is really well supported there).
>
> That's a damn shame though. Why would that be? is Microsoft pushing
> their LIT format? is Adobe retaliating because of that? Damn!

Anonymous
September 26, 2004 10:55:03 AM

"@" <-@-.-> wrote in news:43acl0t1s5k6f9ppt0jd0bdcgtv6oei6vh@4ax.com:

> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 14:21:50 -0600, "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices"
> <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have that version, the only one ever released :(  , on my Axim X-30.
That's
>>significant because it is running WM2003SE like the new Ipaq.
>
> Hi Sven,
> I'm looking to buy my very first PDA -- are you saying that the only
> reader release by Adobe is 3 years old? :-( Wow, that's a low blow...
> They have added a lot of PDF specs since, and many files (presumably)
> are not readable by such an old reader. Hm... makes me think twice,
> because for me PDFs are essential -- maybe I should look into buying a
> Palm Tungsten T3 or Tungsten C (PDF is really well supported there).
>
> That's a damn shame though. Why would that be? is Microsoft pushing
> their LIT format? is Adobe retaliating because of that? Damn!

I have not found any other release of Acrobats reader for PPC yet. Not at
their own site too, so if there is anyone responsible for that, I guess
it is Acrobat themselves.
But to put your mind at ease just a bit: I have not found any PDF-doc yet
that my PPC-reader couldn't handle, and I have opened several PDF's with
it already. As far as I can make it out all functions that are present in
the latest desktop-readers are somehow supported in the PPC version too,
so I don't think you would run into many problems concerning
comptability.

--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
"Tomorrow it may get better, but it will never be allright."
(Cornelis Vreeswijk)

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 6:00:39 PM

Thanks to all. Found out what I was doing wrong - Turned off the PPC when
starting the exe file on my desktop PC and it all went on OK.

Older PDF files don't display as expected but with the help of this
newsgroup I guess I'll master that...

"Charles Darwin" <charlie_darwin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have an Ipaq rx3715 and wish to view PDF files on it.
>
> I trawled through the Adobe website but could only find Acrobat Reader for
> 2002, not Windows Mobile 2003 as installed on my PPC.
>
> I downloaded it anyhow in the hope that it might work but couldn't even
open
> the file without receiving the "Windows has encountered an error, do you
> wish to report it?" message.
>
> Has anybody has success in installing a PDF reader on one of the new
Ipaq's?
> If so, what, where and how?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.....

September 27, 2004 11:39:22 AM

I create PDA's using Adobe Acrobat 6 all of the time and read them on my
iPAQ using Adobe Reader without a problem. Sooooo ... I guess this means
that all the new features are taken care of.

I can't believe the functionality of Adobe Acrobat would make one consider
the Palm device ... but I guess I'm just pleased with the MS family of
products.

!