AMD'S RESPONSE TO INTEL'S WOODCREST

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
You'll just have to love K8L. :lol:
Read here:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29890
Woodcrest is going to be an Int monster, but slightly weaker on the FP side. This chip, be it K8L or a new code name, should blow Woody out of the FP waters
This is more proof that there's no reason to worry about Intel's upcoming offerings. As bulshitter stated before, All this Intel propaganda is Exuberant Optimism

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Read here:
Woodcrest is going to be an Int monster, but slightly weaker on the FP side. This chip, be it K8L or a new code name, should blow Woody out of the FP waters
This is more proof that there's no reason to worry about Intel's upcoming offerings. As bulshitter stated before, All this Intel propaganda is Exuberant Optimism
the first half of 2007
great...right on time with 65nm. Wish they would do it on time though, and hopefully it will be in supply...

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Dude, that article says nothing about nothing. I don't know why you post articles from the enquirer at all. You must be in the same mindset as they are which doesn't say much.

The enquirer is so AMD biased, a first grader could see that.

Now, for the rest of you that are reading this hopeless wonder of a thread, so far, my opty is clocked at 2.2Ghz and it is running very smooth. My goal for now is to get it to 2.7 on air. Just ran prime95 for 8 hours and the temp only reached 38C. Very nice! Highly recommend this processor!

http://photobucket.com/albums/f16/Luminaris/?action=view&current=OpteronLoadTemps.jpg

Now see 9-inch, there's something more useful. Try that once in a while instead of reading biased ass sites man. Come on ...

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Pfft, I could have written the same article! Here goes:

Intel will be releasing some new chips in 2007. AMD will release some new chips in 2007 too. They will both be shiny, improve some performances and will be server, desktop, and mobile chips.

Miss Lippy's car is green!

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I bet you if they were talking about Conroe blowing AM2's ass (won't happen) then all of you would believe it. :roll:

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
What I find interesting is the fact that although Intel and AMD appear to be coming closer together in terms of architecture efficiency and power consumption they are now moving apart in processing specialty. Intel being being better in Int and AMD in FPU.

The thing is K8L is at least 6 months behind Merom and family so we'll have to see what Intel will have available at that time. With Turion64 getting its own unique architecture and K8L only announced for Opteron so far, I wonder what architecture regular consumer Athlons will use?

I couldn't help but note that believing Intel means I'm exuberently optimistic, but you are just as willing to believe AMD's claims 1 year before launch. I guess we are both practicing exuberent optimism.

endyen

Splendid
Not to be a pain, but how do you feel about luminaris's take on the enquirer?
Since you have quoted some ripe Intel gossip from them, do you think they are Amd fanboys?
Before the K7s came out, Intel staked thier reputation on FPU perf. If this little bit of gossip is true, Intel may never be able to claim they do (true) FPU right.

julius

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
funny part is youre probably basing your view on the inquirer from that article. theyve had articles saying that conroe will kick amd's ass, and for all the hate that the inquirer gets, it gets alot of stuff right...

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Well, I for one have never seen any such article from the enquirer nor do I care to as, they have writers there fresh out of high school. That's the real reason why I object to articles from them. Yes, the articles I have actually read from them do make them seem very much AMD biased but, the least they could do is write with some sort of professionlism.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Read here:

Well, when they do put in more FP registers, it will be across the board. It is too expensive to have multiple architectures. I'm sure they aren't making that many Athlon XPs anymore. They might as well add a few INT registers. 65nm will allow it with a smaller die than now. They are even adding in L3 and it may go into the FX series and the Opteron. AMD has no worries, especially with increasing HyperTransport speed.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
In terms of The Inquirer, I do think they are biased ... toward themself. They concentrate on getting the news out, it really doesn't matter what side it's from as long as they said it first. I think that sensationalist attitude comes out in the wording of their articles which is why some seem Intel biased while others seem AMD biased. It's all just marketing the news in general as well as targeting audience groups for reactions. Despite that, I still think that the core of their articles are pretty reliable though. When they are wrong about their announcements, often it's probably not their fault since the information was right at the time, but the companies just changed their roadmaps or intentions. I found their mobile, desktop, and server outlook articles quite good though and agreed with most of their points on both sides. That's from my point of view of course. They are getting a bit dated now being from two months ago.

I'm sure you've read them:
Mobile
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28624
Desktop
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28602
Server
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28639

As for Intel trailing behind in FPU, that's what I was thinking too. The Pentium II provided a huge FPU increase causing AMD to introduce 3DNow to make up the difference. The Pentium 4 does quite well in FPU calculations as well with SSE and SSE2 though. I'm interested to know if K8L's improvement in FP performance is actually from the FPUs themselves so that everything benefits or is it just from the FPU instruction set they plan on adding which then may require program support. If it's just an instruction set, it won't nearly be as impressive as redesigned FPUs as Conroe will include an SSE4 type set also.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
My guess is AMD implemented 2x128 bit SSE, rather than the current 2x64bit. Should be relatively easy to do and makes a lot of sense, especially for HPC and workstations markets.. maybe even for an FX.