ashiplikethat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
what would be the easiest to over clock for a newbi?
mb (a8n32-sli deluxe)
ram (corsair xms3200 pro 2x512)
cpu (amd athlon 64 3700+ with stock heatsink)
gpc (gigabyte 7800gt)

can you just overclock ram alone or do you need to overclock them all?

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
the best/safest thing for you to do if you want more preformance is to tighen up your ram timeings. I have a 3500+ with the same ram in a msi mobo and i have my timeings set to 2-2-2-5 (stock 3-3-3-6) and that alone helped my fps on FEAR go from an average of 42fps to an average of 48 to 50 fps (I have a ati x700pro vid card). the ram can handle that timeing fine. as for your video card I use a utility called ati tool but its only for ati cards obviously so i suggest coolbits utility (im not 100% sure if that is the right name but i am fairly certian thats the name but its the best for nvida). also another utility i use just to keep an eye on the temps of the gpu is riva tuner, it can be used to oc nvida but coolbits is better from what i have read. And with your cpu just bump up the fsb a little, and when i say a little I mean verry little, like one mhz at a time.

WORDS OF WARNING!!! READ THIS!!!
With all oc ing do it in small steps and only 1 thing at a time (cpu, gpu, ect.)

TEST TEST TEST once you make one little change run your system to check for sability by loading the system (I run the FEAR performance test), an unstable system is useless in my book

DO NOT oc seriously untill you know what your doing I will admit to not knowing a lot about oc stuff my fsb is only 5mhz oc to 205 simply bc I dont know enuff to mess with the voltages to gain back stability

DO NOT mess with voltages at all unless you really know your stuff because you can fry everything by turning up voltages too much

MOST IMPORTANT Dont do anything if you dont know exactly what you are going to affect by changing a setting ex. if you dont know what the difference between over clocking your vid cards GPU and over clocking your vid cards memory DONT MESS WITH IT or you could end up paying for another vid card.

and just fyi overclocking voids the warrenty on parts so just keep that in mind

i hope i helped you and not scared the sh!7 out of you