Overclocking?

20 answers Last reply
More about overclocking

    Hi Melissa,

    What little I know about overclocking (at least what I've been told) is
    temperature. I used to have an AMD Athalon and because I didn't have the
    right kind of case with cooling fans, I had to underclock it. My settings
    (dos) had in one of its sections, a readout of the CPU temperature. Maybe
    you have such a thing, too. You might try checking the temp and then try
    overclocking a little bit, watch the temp a bit and see what it does. More
    than likely the paperwork for your processor will tell you what the critical
    temps are. Check that first and then try your hand at it. Nothing bad
    should happen as long as the temp doesn't rise too high. I'm not sure if
    video cards are the same, but you would think so since they are both
    processors. Be sure to write your original settings down just in case.

    Hope this helps and hope someone verifies this so you can be a little more
    assured of the outcome.

    How's the wx in WA today.

    "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

    In article <oxzfe.14545$tQ.1641@fed1read06>, surveyorsteve@cox.net
    says...
    > Hi Melissa,
    >
    > What little I know about overclocking (at least what I've been told) is
    > temperature. I used to have an AMD Athalon and because I didn't have the
    > right kind of case with cooling fans, I had to underclock it. My settings
    > (dos) had in one of its sections, a readout of the CPU temperature. Maybe
    > you have such a thing, too. You might try checking the temp and then try
    > overclocking a little bit, watch the temp a bit and see what it does. More
    > than likely the paperwork for your processor will tell you what the critical
    > temps are. Check that first and then try your hand at it. Nothing bad
    > should happen as long as the temp doesn't rise too high. I'm not sure if
    > video cards are the same, but you would think so since they are both
    > processors. Be sure to write your original settings down just in case.
    >
    > Hope this helps and hope someone verifies this so you can be a little more
    > assured of the outcome.
    >
    > How's the wx in WA today.
    >
    > "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Overclocking of the CPU and/or video card is something I've been
    > > interested in, but also a bit afraid of, as I might be unhappy if my
    > > computer blew up.

    In order to overclock more than an insignificant amount, one needs to
    increase the CPU , video card, and memory chip voltages. This makes
    them run hotter, or even a lot hotter. (It also immediately voids any
    warantee one might have.) Adequate cooling (extra fans) is a must. Your
    BIOS must support overclocking - some do, some don't. Your CPU must
    support overclocking - later Intels don't. Most serious overclockers
    run AMD cpus. There are a lot of websites dedicated to overclocking --
    reading is a must.

    Lastly, you may want to question up front if the real risks of having a
    system which sometimes crashes for no apparent reason, and of burning
    out a CPU, is worth it. What you may get if you're lucky is a 15% speed
    gain; more than that is unlikely to be stable. I run an overclocked
    video card, but stock CPU (AMD) and memory.

    /Chris

    No Intel CPU will allow an overclocking. If you had an AMD on your ASUS
    board, no problem. ASUS boards have a safety on them. When the
    overclock goes wrong it automatically shuts down and goes back to
    default. Then you can choose how you want it handled. Unless you're
    running a strong system the amount you'll gain isn't worth it. It's
    nice to play with. That's about it. Go to a larger CPU. Much less of a
    headache.

    Melissa,

    There you go. Obviously I am Intel stupid. But then when I messed with it,
    it was AMD.

    Mr. Steve

    "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

    All Intel P4's can be overclocked. (It's the Intel motherboards that
    don't allow one to overclock.) Overclocking a P4 is generally just a matter
    of increasing the frontside bus speed and, for the more adventurous, perhaps
    a bit of a boost in the voltage(s). I'm running this P4 system with the
    stock Intel heatsink and fan and, as I type this, the CPU temperature is
    28C. It will run up to 38-40C under load (such as running FS2004) but with a
    reasonable ambient temperature it's never been above 42C. The success of the
    overclock depends almost entirely on the luck of the draw with the CPU. Some
    chips of any given model will overclock well while others of that very same
    model some won't. Fast memory is a must also as, even with a good CPU, slow
    memory will be a critical limiting factor. It's also critical to have a
    motherboard that allows one to lock the PCI and AGP bus speeds (most all
    Asus and Abit boards do this - I don't have any experience with other
    brands.). Does the 500Mhz OC I have on this machine make a difference with
    FS2004? Yes, but it's not a big difference. I can see a difference when
    running multiple cloud layers and heavy AI but it's only a about a 10%
    framerate increase. And as far as OC'ing the video card, I wouldn't bother
    for FS2004. The OC on my 9800 Pro, though significant in terms of speed,
    makes absolutely no difference in framerates - but that's to be expected as
    the sim depends so heavily on the CPU. I'd also recommend that anyone just
    starting with overclocking a CPU to first be sure they know how to reset the
    CMOS on the motherboard to the factory default values (see the motherboard
    manual for the instructions) as it's almost certain that, at some point,
    you'll hit the critical point where the system refuses to boot. So, what's
    the bottomline here? If you have a fast CPU in the range of 2.8-3.4Ghz there
    is, indeed, some gain to be had with FS2004 by OC'ing, but not a big one -
    maybe a 8-10% framerate increase on average. It it worth it? Probably not
    for most folks. The framerate in my default situation (all sliders maxxed)
    averages 62 FPS and with the OC the average only increases to 68 FPS - as I
    said, not significant. And I sure can't "see" the difference in the way
    things look. I OC the machine simply because I can, not that it really helps
    all that much. To me it's kind of like going fishing, half the fun is
    setting up the tackle box the night before.

    Trip

    P4 3.0C (Northwood) SL6WK @ 3.510 (1.600 VCore - 234 FSB)
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (BIOS 1019)
    2x512MB Corsair TWINX CXM3700 (3-4-4-8)
    4x120GB WD 7200 IDE
    Hercules 9800 Pro (128MB @ 410/360)
    A-Open 1648 AAP Ripper
    Plextor 708A Writer
    Enermax 431W PSU
    Inwin Case
    Stock Intel HSF

    <writerz01@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > No Intel CPU will allow an overclocking. If you had an AMD on your ASUS
    > board, no problem. ASUS boards have a safety on them. When the
    > overclock goes wrong it automatically shuts down and goes back to
    > default. Then you can choose how you want it handled. Unless you're
    > running a strong system the amount you'll gain isn't worth it. It's
    > nice to play with. That's about it. Go to a larger CPU. Much less of a
    > headache.

    "Lawn Dart"
    > Overclocking of the CPU and/or video card is something I've been
    > interested in, but also a bit afraid of, as I might be unhappy if my
    > computer blew up.

    I've overclocked my last three computers... but I buy them to be
    overclocked. I buy motherboards that are overclock friendly and processors
    that have a high success rate of being overclocked. The whole process
    starts with a little research before you buy the computer.

    Overclocking is a huge and complicated world and you have to spend a
    considerable amount of time learning how to do it. The first step is
    finding out if your motherboard can overclock your processor. Chip makers
    are getting better at locking processor speeds to stop you from doing this,
    some motherboards have features that are designed specifically to get around
    these locks. It's likely your PC2700 RAM is too slow, this is something you
    need to research that could end this conversation quickly.

    This is not something that you can undertake easily, but if you can pull it
    off it's like getting an expensive high end processor for the price of a
    midrange model.

    Dallas

    www.overclockers.com

    I have an Athlon 2100 I run as a 2700, it wasnt necessary but a better
    heatsink/fan helps, I picked up a good combo for about $30, been running
    strong for over a year now, a cpu temp monitor you can access from windows
    helps a lot, my asus board came with one, you never want your cpu over 60°
    but the lower the better you should shoot for 50°

    "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

    I have tried this on my 2.8Ghz P4 machine.You should be able to go from 2.8
    to 3.0 GHz without having to change anything in the bios (i.e.
    voltages).There will be about a 4-5 degree Celsius increase in CPU temp at
    100% load which should be OK if your fan and heatsink were mounted
    correctly.I would expect the CPU to run between 60 and 70 degrees.I would
    start to worry if it went over 70 but it will just shutdown at 80.Mine used
    to run at 74 @ 100% load but it turns out that it was out of date bios and
    once I updated it,the temp showed 10 degrees less. I bought a new Zalman fan
    and heatsink but its only a few degrees better than the standard Intel one.
    There are programs available which show the temp on the desktop. I used a
    thing called Motherboard Monitor

    I suggest doing a heap of research before going much over 3Ghz,as you have
    to start adjusting voltages to stuff and its easy to fry something
    vital.Have a look at http://www.overclockers.com/ for everything.

    The main thing to remember these days,is that it would be cheaper to just
    buy a faster cpu than spend money on extra cooling etc.
    The difference between 2.8 and 3Ghz was about the same as going from 512 to
    1Gb of RAM.Small but noticeable
    I have never overclocked a vid card but I believe it is very similar to the
    CPU.

    Bryan

    "Mr. Steve" <surveyorsteve@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Hi Melissa,
    >
    > What little I know about overclocking (at least what I've been told) is
    > temperature. I used to have an AMD Athalon and because I didn't have the
    > right kind of case with cooling fans, I had to underclock it. My settings
    > (dos) had in one of its sections, a readout of the CPU temperature. Maybe
    > you have such a thing, too. You might try checking the temp and then try
    > overclocking a little bit, watch the temp a bit and see what it does.
    > More than likely the paperwork for your processor will tell you what the
    > critical temps are. Check that first and then try your hand at it.
    > Nothing bad should happen as long as the temp doesn't rise too high. I'm
    > not sure if video cards are the same, but you would think so since they
    > are both processors. Be sure to write your original settings down just in
    > case.
    >
    > Hope this helps and hope someone verifies this so you can be a little more
    > assured of the outcome.
    >
    > How's the wx in WA today.
    >
    > "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

    I think what you mean is that the multiplier is locked int he Intel
    chips.You overclock them by increasing the front side bus speed.
    <writerz01@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > No Intel CPU will allow an overclocking. If you had an AMD on your ASUS
    > board, no problem. ASUS boards have a safety on them. When the
    > overclock goes wrong it automatically shuts down and goes back to
    > default. Then you can choose how you want it handled. Unless you're
    > running a strong system the amount you'll gain isn't worth it. It's
    > nice to play with. That's about it. Go to a larger CPU. Much less of a
    > headache.

    Hi Melissa,

    In terms of value for money, overclocking's not all that.
    It's generally done for its own sake.
    If you're already considering a hardware upgrade, then it is worth it.
    AMD is prolly the best value : -
    Get an overclocker's motherboard : - Big choice available, but an NForce4
    (939-pin CPU) system will be pricey - best value's prolly NF3 (754-pin CPU)
    And a good quality PSU : - Best are PCPower & Cooling, OCZ and Enermax.
    And some overclockable memory : - PC3200 or better
    And an all copper heatsink - Thermalright are the market leaders (the type
    of fan isn't too critical).
    A good video card will also help - and if you decide to really splash out
    and go NF4, then dual PCIexpress cards will really take care of it !
    Then you'll be set.
    Voltage won't decrease your chips' life-times, but excessive heat will.

    > Hi,
    >
    > On Sun, 8 May 2005 17:49:41 -0700, I wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >
    > I don't have the time at this moment to respond to each and every one
    > of these helpful replies I've received so far, so I just wanted to
    > thank all of you for your comments!
    >
    > The reason why the idea of overclocking popped back into my head
    > recently is because of some very demanding scenery I recently
    > installed (MegaScenery PNW). While I've had some pretty satisfactory
    > flights over this scenery, there's room for improvement as well in
    > terms of how fast some scenery tiles will load, and how I can improve
    > scenery generation for longer distances (seeing mountains clearly in
    > the distance can still be a bit of a problem). I'm still tweaking
    > and testing to see if I can coax some better performance (frame rates
    > are not really a problem; it's scenery generation I'm more concerned
    > with here).
    >
    > And so, I'll keep reading about this overclocking issue, but it looks
    > like it will be display settings tweaking where I'll be concentrating
    > most of my efforts. I may well have to use one configuration for
    > flying over the MegaScenery, and another for flying over the rest of
    > the world. We'll see.
    >
    > Thanks again, all of you, for all your helpful comments!
    >
    > - --
    > Melissa

    Hi Melissa

    Given that your post was prompted by your MegaScenery install have you
    acquired their pdf on performance tips?
    Particularly the defrag tool from O & O software which will sort files by
    folder and name. There is a 30 day trial downloadable from their website.
    It will take quite a while to run and give your HD a bit of a bashing but it
    is interesting to watch the program in action and note that files belonging
    to the same folder are scattered all over the disk. I can see that it would
    be useful for scenery files and when I ever get my machine sorted properly
    I'll test it more objectively; in the meantime I'm reasonably sure there is
    less disk activity when flying. Have a look at the pdf; it's downloadable
    from MegaScenery if you haven't got it!

    Chris

    On Mon, 9 May 2005 07:30:31 -0400, Trip Lane wrote:
    >To me it's kind of like going fishing, half the fun is
    > setting up the tackle box the night before.

    That's why it's called "fishing," instead of "catching..." ;)

    Bill

    Give a fish to a hungry man and he'll come back tomorrow for more. But
    teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat all day and drink beer. Ernest
    Hemingway was the only fisherman of the last century who really knew what
    it's all about.

    --------------------------------------

    > "Lawn Dart"
    > > Overclocking of the CPU and/or video card is something I've been
    > > interested in, but also a bit afraid of, as I might be unhappy if my
    > > computer blew up.
    >
    > I've overclocked my last three computers... but I buy them to be
    > overclocked. I buy motherboards that are overclock friendly and
    processors
    > that have a high success rate of being overclocked. The whole process
    > starts with a little research before you buy the computer.
    >
    > Overclocking is a huge and complicated world and you have to spend a
    > considerable amount of time learning how to do it. The first step is
    > finding out if your motherboard can overclock your processor. Chip
    makers
    > are getting better at locking processor speeds to stop you from doing
    this,
    > some motherboards have features that are designed specifically to get
    around
    > these locks. It's likely your PC2700 RAM is too slow, this is something
    you
    > need to research that could end this conversation quickly.
    >
    > This is not something that you can undertake easily, but if you can pull
    it
    > off it's like getting an expensive high end processor for the price of a
    > midrange model.
    >
    > Dallas

    Well, there is nothing in the BIOS menu to
    change any of the multipliers. When I was in college,
    there were some machines, where could could chage
    the bus speed and/or multipliers to get more speed.

    "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > Overclocking of the CPU and/or video card is something I've been
    > interested in, but also a bit afraid of, as I might be unhappy if my
    > computer blew up.
    >
    > Now that I have a slightly more robust computer, I'm thinking about
    > this again, and I wonder if anyone can recommend any guidelines based
    > on my computer's specs. Or perhaps tell me that I shouldn't try this
    > at all.

    Some computers wont let you overclock. I found
    the option on mine to change the clock speed, but
    when I did, the system would not boot Windows,
    but when I reset to the factory defaults, things
    worked normallya again.

    "Chris Thomas" <CThomas@mminternet.com> wrote in message
    > In article <oxzfe.14545$tQ.1641@fed1read06>, surveyorsteve@cox.net
    > says...
    > > Hi Melissa,
    > >
    > > What little I know about overclocking (at least what I've been told) is
    > > temperature. I used to have an AMD Athalon and because I didn't have
    the
    > > right kind of case with cooling fans, I had to underclock it. My
    settings
    > > (dos) had in one of its sections, a readout of the CPU temperature.
    Maybe
    > > you have such a thing, too. You might try checking the temp and then
    try
    > > overclocking a little bit, watch the temp a bit and see what it does.
    More
    > > than likely the paperwork for your processor will tell you what the
    critical
    > > temps are. Check that first and then try your hand at it. Nothing bad
    > > should happen as long as the temp doesn't rise too high. I'm not sure
    if
    > > video cards are the same, but you would think so since they are both
    > > processors. Be sure to write your original settings down just in case.
    > >
    > > Hope this helps and hope someone verifies this so you can be a little
    more
    > > assured of the outcome.
    > >
    > > How's the wx in WA today.
    > >
    > > "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > Overclocking of the CPU and/or video card is something I've been
    > > > interested in, but also a bit afraid of, as I might be unhappy if my
    > > > computer blew up.
    >
    > In order to overclock more than an insignificant amount, one needs to
    > increase the CPU , video card, and memory chip voltages. This makes
    > them run hotter, or even a lot hotter. (It also immediately voids any
    > warantee one might have.) Adequate cooling (extra fans) is a must. Your
    > BIOS must support overclocking - some do, some don't. Your CPU must
    > support overclocking - later Intels don't. Most serious overclockers
    > run AMD cpus. There are a lot of websites dedicated to overclocking --
    > reading is a must.
    >
    > Lastly, you may want to question up front if the real risks of having a
    > system which sometimes crashes for no apparent reason, and of burning
    > out a CPU, is worth it. What you may get if you're lucky is a 15% speed
    > gain; more than that is unlikely to be stable. I run an overclocked
    > video card, but stock CPU (AMD) and memory.

    How do you overclock the video card? I have
    an NVidia G-Force video card.

    > /Chris
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    In article <osKdnbGldZybchLfRVn-uw@comcast.com>, charlesnewman1
    @comcast.spammers.go.away.net says...
    > How do you overclock the video card? I have
    > an NVidia G-Force video card.

    Probably the easiest way is to use a utility called Power Strip.

    /Chris T
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Charles Newman" <charlesnewman1@comcast.spammers.go.away.net> wrote:

    >> some motherboards have features that are designed specifically to get
    >around these locks.

    He, he - get an older Athlon where just some #2 pencil marks can do
    the trick :-))

    Me, I always liked Abit motherboards for their overclocking abilities.
    Lots of settings to play with ... and no jumpers to mess with.

    -=tom=-
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    I forget to mention my results with overclocking
    I have a socket 939 Winchester core Athlon 64 3000+ stock 1800MHz on a
    MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum motherboard running 2 sticks of 512MB G.skill
    PC4400 275Mhz DDR550 memory (memory timings are 1T command rate 2.5, 3,
    3, 10) vdimm 2.7 (memory voltage)
    vcore 1.5 (cpu voltage)
    I set my htt at 278
    set the ht setting at 3
    I'm using the 200 divider (running the memory and the cpu at the same
    htt)
    so 278x9=2502MHz.

    now how much would an Athlon 64 2.5GHz cpu cost? A lot more than I
    spent! :)
    Does it make a difference in Flight sim? 2.5Ghz vs 1.8Ghz? Yes.
    That's a 700Mhz overclock. I've actually been able to push my cpu and
    memory up to 2.7GHz but that was not stable enough to play flight sim
    and I would have had to bump up the vcore to around 1.65 or 1.7 to get
    it stable. Since I just got this chip a few months ago, I'll hold off
    on that for a while. 700Mhz is enough for now.

Overclocking Video Games