Overclocking?

Hi Melissa,

What little I know about overclocking (at least what I've been told) is
temperature. I used to have an AMD Athalon and because I didn't have the
right kind of case with cooling fans, I had to underclock it. My settings
(dos) had in one of its sections, a readout of the CPU temperature. Maybe
you have such a thing, too. You might try checking the temp and then try
overclocking a little bit, watch the temp a bit and see what it does. More
than likely the paperwork for your processor will tell you what the critical
temps are. Check that first and then try your hand at it. Nothing bad
should happen as long as the temp doesn't rise too high. I'm not sure if
video cards are the same, but you would think so since they are both
processors. Be sure to write your original settings down just in case.

Hope this helps and hope someone verifies this so you can be a little more
assured of the outcome.

How's the wx in WA today.

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

In article <oxzfe.14545$tQ.1641@fed1read06>, surveyorsteve@cox.net
says...
> Hi Melissa,
>
> What little I know about overclocking (at least what I've been told) is
> temperature. I used to have an AMD Athalon and because I didn't have the
> right kind of case with cooling fans, I had to underclock it. My settings
> (dos) had in one of its sections, a readout of the CPU temperature. Maybe
> you have such a thing, too. You might try checking the temp and then try
> overclocking a little bit, watch the temp a bit and see what it does. More
> than likely the paperwork for your processor will tell you what the critical
> temps are. Check that first and then try your hand at it. Nothing bad
> should happen as long as the temp doesn't rise too high. I'm not sure if
> video cards are the same, but you would think so since they are both
> processors. Be sure to write your original settings down just in case.
>
> Hope this helps and hope someone verifies this so you can be a little more
> assured of the outcome.
>
> How's the wx in WA today.
>
> "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Overclocking of the CPU and/or video card is something I've been
> > interested in, but also a bit afraid of, as I might be unhappy if my
> > computer blew up.

In order to overclock more than an insignificant amount, one needs to
increase the CPU , video card, and memory chip voltages. This makes
them run hotter, or even a lot hotter. (It also immediately voids any
warantee one might have.) Adequate cooling (extra fans) is a must. Your
BIOS must support overclocking - some do, some don't. Your CPU must
support overclocking - later Intels don't. Most serious overclockers
run AMD cpus. There are a lot of websites dedicated to overclocking --
reading is a must.

Lastly, you may want to question up front if the real risks of having a
system which sometimes crashes for no apparent reason, and of burning
out a CPU, is worth it. What you may get if you're lucky is a 15% speed
gain; more than that is unlikely to be stable. I run an overclocked
video card, but stock CPU (AMD) and memory.

/Chris

No Intel CPU will allow an overclocking. If you had an AMD on your ASUS
board, no problem. ASUS boards have a safety on them. When the
overclock goes wrong it automatically shuts down and goes back to
default. Then you can choose how you want it handled. Unless you're
running a strong system the amount you'll gain isn't worth it. It's
nice to play with. That's about it. Go to a larger CPU. Much less of a
headache.

Melissa,

There you go. Obviously I am Intel stupid. But then when I messed with it,
it was AMD.

Mr. Steve

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

All Intel P4's can be overclocked. (It's the Intel motherboards that
don't allow one to overclock.) Overclocking a P4 is generally just a matter
of increasing the frontside bus speed and, for the more adventurous, perhaps
a bit of a boost in the voltage(s). I'm running this P4 system with the
stock Intel heatsink and fan and, as I type this, the CPU temperature is
28C. It will run up to 38-40C under load (such as running FS2004) but with a
reasonable ambient temperature it's never been above 42C. The success of the
overclock depends almost entirely on the luck of the draw with the CPU. Some
chips of any given model will overclock well while others of that very same
model some won't. Fast memory is a must also as, even with a good CPU, slow
memory will be a critical limiting factor. It's also critical to have a
motherboard that allows one to lock the PCI and AGP bus speeds (most all
Asus and Abit boards do this - I don't have any experience with other
brands.). Does the 500Mhz OC I have on this machine make a difference with
FS2004? Yes, but it's not a big difference. I can see a difference when
running multiple cloud layers and heavy AI but it's only a about a 10%
framerate increase. And as far as OC'ing the video card, I wouldn't bother
for FS2004. The OC on my 9800 Pro, though significant in terms of speed,
makes absolutely no difference in framerates - but that's to be expected as
the sim depends so heavily on the CPU. I'd also recommend that anyone just
starting with overclocking a CPU to first be sure they know how to reset the
CMOS on the motherboard to the factory default values (see the motherboard
manual for the instructions) as it's almost certain that, at some point,
you'll hit the critical point where the system refuses to boot. So, what's
the bottomline here? If you have a fast CPU in the range of 2.8-3.4Ghz there
is, indeed, some gain to be had with FS2004 by OC'ing, but not a big one -
maybe a 8-10% framerate increase on average. It it worth it? Probably not
for most folks. The framerate in my default situation (all sliders maxxed)
averages 62 FPS and with the OC the average only increases to 68 FPS - as I
said, not significant. And I sure can't "see" the difference in the way
things look. I OC the machine simply because I can, not that it really helps
all that much. To me it's kind of like going fishing, half the fun is
setting up the tackle box the night before.

Trip

P4 3.0C (Northwood) SL6WK @ 3.510 (1.600 VCore - 234 FSB)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (BIOS 1019)
2x512MB Corsair TWINX CXM3700 (3-4-4-8)
4x120GB WD 7200 IDE
Hercules 9800 Pro (128MB @ 410/360)
A-Open 1648 AAP Ripper
Plextor 708A Writer
Enermax 431W PSU
Inwin Case
Stock Intel HSF

<writerz01@gmail.com> wrote in message
> No Intel CPU will allow an overclocking. If you had an AMD on your ASUS
> board, no problem. ASUS boards have a safety on them. When the
> overclock goes wrong it automatically shuts down and goes back to
> default. Then you can choose how you want it handled. Unless you're
> running a strong system the amount you'll gain isn't worth it. It's
> nice to play with. That's about it. Go to a larger CPU. Much less of a
> headache.

dallas

"Lawn Dart"
> Overclocking of the CPU and/or video card is something I've been
> interested in, but also a bit afraid of, as I might be unhappy if my
> computer blew up.

I've overclocked my last three computers... but I buy them to be
overclocked. I buy motherboards that are overclock friendly and processors
that have a high success rate of being overclocked. The whole process
starts with a little research before you buy the computer.

Overclocking is a huge and complicated world and you have to spend a
considerable amount of time learning how to do it. The first step is
finding out if your motherboard can overclock your processor. Chip makers
are getting better at locking processor speeds to stop you from doing this,
some motherboards have features that are designed specifically to get around
these locks. It's likely your PC2700 RAM is too slow, this is something you
need to research that could end this conversation quickly.

This is not something that you can undertake easily, but if you can pull it
off it's like getting an expensive high end processor for the price of a
midrange model.

Dallas

petebert

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003

www.overclockers.com

I have an Athlon 2100 I run as a 2700, it wasnt necessary but a better
heatsink/fan helps, I picked up a good combo for about $30, been running
strong for over a year now, a cpu temp monitor you can access from windows
helps a lot, my asus board came with one, you never want your cpu over 60°
but the lower the better you should shoot for 50°

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have tried this on my 2.8Ghz P4 machine.You should be able to go from 2.8
to 3.0 GHz without having to change anything in the bios (i.e.
voltages).There will be about a 4-5 degree Celsius increase in CPU temp at
100% load which should be OK if your fan and heatsink were mounted
correctly.I would expect the CPU to run between 60 and 70 degrees.I would
start to worry if it went over 70 but it will just shutdown at 80.Mine used
to run at 74 @ 100% load but it turns out that it was out of date bios and
once I updated it,the temp showed 10 degrees less. I bought a new Zalman fan
and heatsink but its only a few degrees better than the standard Intel one.
There are programs available which show the temp on the desktop. I used a
thing called Motherboard Monitor

I suggest doing a heap of research before going much over 3Ghz,as you have
to start adjusting voltages to stuff and its easy to fry something
vital.Have a look at http://www.overclockers.com/ for everything.

The main thing to remember these days,is that it would be cheaper to just
buy a faster cpu than spend money on extra cooling etc.
The difference between 2.8 and 3Ghz was about the same as going from 512 to
1Gb of RAM.Small but noticeable
I have never overclocked a vid card but I believe it is very similar to the
CPU.

Bryan

"Mr. Steve" <surveyorsteve@cox.net> wrote in message
> Hi Melissa,
>
> What little I know about overclocking (at least what I've been told) is
> temperature. I used to have an AMD Athalon and because I didn't have the
> right kind of case with cooling fans, I had to underclock it. My settings
> (dos) had in one of its sections, a readout of the CPU temperature. Maybe
> you have such a thing, too. You might try checking the temp and then try
> overclocking a little bit, watch the temp a bit and see what it does.
> More than likely the paperwork for your processor will tell you what the
> critical temps are. Check that first and then try your hand at it.
> Nothing bad should happen as long as the temp doesn't rise too high. I'm
> not sure if video cards are the same, but you would think so since they
> are both processors. Be sure to write your original settings down just in
> case.
>
> Hope this helps and hope someone verifies this so you can be a little more
> assured of the outcome.
>
> How's the wx in WA today.
>
> "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I think what you mean is that the multiplier is locked int he Intel
chips.You overclock them by increasing the front side bus speed.
<writerz01@gmail.com> wrote in message
> No Intel CPU will allow an overclocking. If you had an AMD on your ASUS
> board, no problem. ASUS boards have a safety on them. When the
> overclock goes wrong it automatically shuts down and goes back to
> default. Then you can choose how you want it handled. Unless you're
> running a strong system the amount you'll gain isn't worth it. It's
> nice to play with. That's about it. Go to a larger CPU. Much less of a
> headache.

Hi Melissa,

In terms of value for money, overclocking's not all that.
It's generally done for its own sake.
If you're already considering a hardware upgrade, then it is worth it.
AMD is prolly the best value : -
Get an overclocker's motherboard : - Big choice available, but an NForce4
(939-pin CPU) system will be pricey - best value's prolly NF3 (754-pin CPU)
And a good quality PSU : - Best are PCPower & Cooling, OCZ and Enermax.
And some overclockable memory : - PC3200 or better
And an all copper heatsink - Thermalright are the market leaders (the type
of fan isn't too critical).
A good video card will also help - and if you decide to really splash out
and go NF4, then dual PCIexpress cards will really take care of it !
Then you'll be set.
Voltage won't decrease your chips' life-times, but excessive heat will.

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 8 May 2005 17:49:41 -0700, I wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>
> I don't have the time at this moment to respond to each and every one
> of these helpful replies I've received so far, so I just wanted to
> thank all of you for your comments!
>
> The reason why the idea of overclocking popped back into my head
> recently is because of some very demanding scenery I recently
> installed (MegaScenery PNW). While I've had some pretty satisfactory
> flights over this scenery, there's room for improvement as well in
> terms of how fast some scenery tiles will load, and how I can improve
> scenery generation for longer distances (seeing mountains clearly in
> the distance can still be a bit of a problem). I'm still tweaking
> and testing to see if I can coax some better performance (frame rates
> are not really a problem; it's scenery generation I'm more concerned
> with here).
>
> And so, I'll keep reading about this overclocking issue, but it looks
> like it will be display settings tweaking where I'll be concentrating
> most of my efforts. I may well have to use one configuration for
> flying over the MegaScenery, and another for flying over the rest of
> the world. We'll see.
>
> Thanks again, all of you, for all your helpful comments!
>
> - --
> Melissa

Hi Melissa

Given that your post was prompted by your MegaScenery install have you
acquired their pdf on performance tips?
Particularly the defrag tool from O & O software which will sort files by
folder and name. There is a 30 day trial downloadable from their website.
It will take quite a while to run and give your HD a bit of a bashing but it
is interesting to watch the program in action and note that files belonging
to the same folder are scattered all over the disk. I can see that it would
be useful for scenery files and when I ever get my machine sorted properly
I'll test it more objectively; in the meantime I'm reasonably sure there is
less disk activity when flying. Have a look at the pdf; it's downloadable
from MegaScenery if you haven't got it!

Chris

On Mon, 9 May 2005 07:30:31 -0400, Trip Lane wrote:
>To me it's kind of like going fishing, half the fun is
> setting up the tackle box the night before.

That's why it's called "fishing," instead of "catching..." ;)

Bill

Give a fish to a hungry man and he'll come back tomorrow for more. But
teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat all day and drink beer. Ernest
Hemingway was the only fisherman of the last century who really knew what
it's all about.

--------------------------------------

> "Lawn Dart"
> > Overclocking of the CPU and/or video card is something I've been
> > interested in, but also a bit afraid of, as I might be unhappy if my
> > computer blew up.
>
> I've overclocked my last three computers... but I buy them to be
> overclocked. I buy motherboards that are overclock friendly and
processors
> that have a high success rate of being overclocked. The whole process
> starts with a little research before you buy the computer.
>
> Overclocking is a huge and complicated world and you have to spend a
> considerable amount of time learning how to do it. The first step is
> finding out if your motherboard can overclock your processor. Chip
makers
> are getting better at locking processor speeds to stop you from doing
this,
> some motherboards have features that are designed specifically to get
around
> these locks. It's likely your PC2700 RAM is too slow, this is something
you
> need to research that could end this conversation quickly.
>
> This is not something that you can undertake easily, but if you can pull
it
> off it's like getting an expensive high end processor for the price of a
> midrange model.
>
> Dallas

Well, there is nothing in the BIOS menu to
change any of the multipliers. When I was in college,
there were some machines, where could could chage
the bus speed and/or multipliers to get more speed.

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> Overclocking of the CPU and/or video card is something I've been
> interested in, but also a bit afraid of, as I might be unhappy if my
> computer blew up.
>
> Now that I have a slightly more robust computer, I'm thinking about
> this again, and I wonder if anyone can recommend any guidelines based
> on my computer's specs. Or perhaps tell me that I shouldn't try this
> at all.

Some computers wont let you overclock. I found
the option on mine to change the clock speed, but
when I did, the system would not boot Windows,
but when I reset to the factory defaults, things
worked normallya again.

"Chris Thomas" <CThomas@mminternet.com> wrote in message
> In article <oxzfe.14545$tQ.1641@fed1read06>, surveyorsteve@cox.net
> says...
> > Hi Melissa,
> >
> > What little I know about overclocking (at least what I've been told) is
> > temperature. I used to have an AMD Athalon and because I didn't have
the
> > right kind of case with cooling fans, I had to underclock it. My
settings
> > (dos) had in one of its sections, a readout of the CPU temperature.
Maybe
> > you have such a thing, too. You might try checking the temp and then
try
> > overclocking a little bit, watch the temp a bit and see what it does.
More
> > than likely the paperwork for your processor will tell you what the
critical
> > temps are. Check that first and then try your hand at it. Nothing bad
> > should happen as long as the temp doesn't rise too high. I'm not sure
if
> > video cards are the same, but you would think so since they are both
> > processors. Be sure to write your original settings down just in case.
> >
> > Hope this helps and hope someone verifies this so you can be a little
more
> > assured of the outcome.
> >
> > How's the wx in WA today.
> >
> > "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Overclocking of the CPU and/or video card is something I've been
> > > interested in, but also a bit afraid of, as I might be unhappy if my
> > > computer blew up.
>
> In order to overclock more than an insignificant amount, one needs to
> increase the CPU , video card, and memory chip voltages. This makes
> them run hotter, or even a lot hotter. (It also immediately voids any
> warantee one might have.) Adequate cooling (extra fans) is a must. Your
> BIOS must support overclocking - some do, some don't. Your CPU must
> support overclocking - later Intels don't. Most serious overclockers
> run AMD cpus. There are a lot of websites dedicated to overclocking --
> reading is a must.
>
> Lastly, you may want to question up front if the real risks of having a
> system which sometimes crashes for no apparent reason, and of burning
> out a CPU, is worth it. What you may get if you're lucky is a 15% speed
> gain; more than that is unlikely to be stable. I run an overclocked
> video card, but stock CPU (AMD) and memory.

How do you overclock the video card? I have
an NVidia G-Force video card.

In article <osKdnbGldZybchLfRVn-uw@comcast.com>, charlesnewman1
@comcast.spammers.go.away.net says...
> How do you overclock the video card? I have
> an NVidia G-Force video card.

Probably the easiest way is to use a utility called Power Strip.

/Chris T

"Charles Newman" <charlesnewman1@comcast.spammers.go.away.net> wrote:

>> some motherboards have features that are designed specifically to get
>around these locks.

He, he - get an older Athlon where just some #2 pencil marks can do
the trick :))

Me, I always liked Abit motherboards for their overclocking abilities.
Lots of settings to play with ... and no jumpers to mess with.

-=tom=-

I forget to mention my results with overclocking
I have a socket 939 Winchester core Athlon 64 3000+ stock 1800MHz on a
MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum motherboard running 2 sticks of 512MB G.skill
PC4400 275Mhz DDR550 memory (memory timings are 1T command rate 2.5, 3,
3, 10) vdimm 2.7 (memory voltage)
vcore 1.5 (cpu voltage)
I set my htt at 278
set the ht setting at 3
I'm using the 200 divider (running the memory and the cpu at the same
htt)
so 278x9=2502MHz.

now how much would an Athlon 64 2.5GHz cpu cost? A lot more than I
spent! :)
Does it make a difference in Flight sim? 2.5Ghz vs 1.8Ghz? Yes.
That's a 700Mhz overclock. I've actually been able to push my cpu and
memory up to 2.7GHz but that was not stable enough to play flight sim
and I would have had to bump up the vcore to around 1.65 or 1.7 to get
it stable. Since I just got this chip a few months ago, I'll hold off
on that for a while. 700Mhz is enough for now.