EPSON 2100 Printing with black photo inks produces purple ..

Hi,

I find that when using black ink only there is a purple type sheen, can this
be avoided as I imagine that only the black cartridge is being used. Would
it be better to use the matt black ink? The paper used is the semigloss.

Any advice appreciated. Colour printing is fine, no problems.

Ray

--

This E-Mail has been checked by eTrust EZ Antivirus
13 answers Last reply

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:21:29 -0000, "Ray"
    <rej@rpj-bexhill.demon.co.uk.removespam> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I find that when using black ink only there is a purple type sheen, can this
    >be avoided as I imagine that only the black cartridge is being used. Would
    >it be better to use the matt black ink? The paper used is the semigloss.
    >
    >Any advice appreciated. Colour printing is fine, no problems.

    1. It's unlikely that only black ink is being used.
    2. How are you producing the images, from B&W or are you altering
    colour images?
    3. What colour management are you using if any (this is usually a case
    of double colour management)?
    4. Are you pr tinting on glossy?

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    "Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:21:29 -0000, "Ray"
    > <rej@rpj-bexhill.demon.co.uk.removespam> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I find that when using black ink only there is a purple type sheen, can
    this
    > >be avoided as I imagine that only the black cartridge is being used.
    Would
    > >it be better to use the matt black ink? The paper used is the semigloss.
    > >
    > >Any advice appreciated. Colour printing is fine, no problems.

    > 1. It's unlikely that only black ink is being used.

    > 2. How are you producing the images, from B&W or are you altering
    > colour images?

    It is a combination of both Black and white and colour photos. Layered then
    merged.

    > 3. What colour management are you using if any (this is usually a case
    > of double colour management)?

    Standard Epson but have also tried resetting through the greyscale process.

    > 4. Are you pr tinting on glossy?

    No using semi gloss, glossy no longer seems available.

    Thanks

    Ray

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:39:29 -0000, "R.E. Jeffery"
    <rej@rpj-bexhill.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >> 1. It's unlikely that only black ink is being used.
    >
    >> 2. How are you producing the images, from B&W or are you altering
    >> colour images?
    >
    >It is a combination of both Black and white and colour photos. Layered then
    >merged.

    That's part of the problem.

    >> 3. What colour management are you using if any (this is usually a case
    >> of double colour management)?
    >
    >Standard Epson but have also tried resetting through the greyscale process.

    The Epson will use colour on B&W.

    What is your image editor and does it use colour management?

    Note that converting to grayscale is the worst way to turn colour into
    B&W.
    >> 4. Are you pr tinting on glossy?
    >
    >No using semi gloss, glossy no longer seems available.

    Are you using Epson inks or some other brand?

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    Hecate wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:39:29 -0000, "R.E. Jeffery"
    > <rej@rpj-bexhill.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>>1. It's unlikely that only black ink is being used.
    >>
    >>>2. How are you producing the images, from B&W or are you altering
    >>>colour images?
    >>
    >>It is a combination of both Black and white and colour photos. Layered then
    >>merged.
    >

    > That's part of the problem.
    >

    >>>3. What colour management are you using if any (this is usually a case
    >>>of double colour management)?
    >>
    >>Standard Epson but have also tried resetting through the greyscale process.
    >

    > The Epson will use colour on B&W.
    >
    > What is your image editor and does it use colour management?
    >
    > Note that converting to grayscale is the worst way to turn colour into
    > B&W.
    >
    >>>4. Are you pr tinting on glossy?
    >>
    >>No using semi gloss, glossy no longer seems available.
    >>

    > Are you using Epson inks or some other brand?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Hecate - The Real One
    > Hecate@newsguy.com
    > veni, vidi, reliqui
    What model does that equate to in the States. It appears that
    manufacturers offer the same merchandise under different designations in
    different countries.

    > What model does that equate to in the States. It appears that
    > manufacturers offer the same merchandise under different designations in
    > different countries.

    2200

    The 2100 equates to the 2200, I believe in Europe it was sold with the
    Greyscale Calibration added.

    --

    > "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > What model does that equate to in the States. It appears that
    > > manufacturers offer the same merchandise under different designations in
    > > different countries.
    >
    > 2200

    As a second question has anyone any recommendations as to the best settings
    for the various types of paper?

    Ray

    --

    "Ray" <rej@rpj-bexhill.demon.co.uk.removespam> wrote in message
    > The 2100 equates to the 2200, I believe in Europe it was sold with the
    > Greyscale Calibration added.

    ...and CD printer and paper cutter.

    > As a second question has anyone any recommendations as to the best
    settings
    > for the various types of paper?

    Is this a really bad colour tint? The default settings work for me but
    perhaps I'm not critical enough?

    I've been using TDK glossy paper in my 2100 because it works reasonably well
    in both my printers.

    If you like... email me a jpeg that shows the problem I'll print it for you
    on both a 2100 and an HP895. I can compare and comment on what it looks like
    to me.

    email: colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be (remove BOX to get real address)

    I have broadband.

    Colin

    No the 2100 prints B&W with the full complement of inks. You should
    calibrate using your gray balancer--this will get rid of any color cast.

    Toby

    > Hi,
    >
    > I find that when using black ink only there is a purple type sheen, can
    > this
    > be avoided as I imagine that only the black cartridge is being used.
    > Would
    > it be better to use the matt black ink? The paper used is the semigloss.
    >
    > Any advice appreciated. Colour printing is fine, no problems.
    >
    > Ray
    >
    > --
    >
    > This E-Mail has been checked by eTrust EZ Antivirus

    Only use Epson inks, afraid of messing up printer if I use other inks.

    Ray
    > On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:39:29 -0000, "R.E. Jeffery"
    > <rej@rpj-bexhill.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > >> 1. It's unlikely that only black ink is being used.
    > >
    > >> 2. How are you producing the images, from B&W or are you altering
    > >> colour images?
    > >
    > >It is a combination of both Black and white and colour photos. Layered
    then
    > >merged.
    >
    > That's part of the problem.
    >
    > >> 3. What colour management are you using if any (this is usually a case
    > >> of double colour management)?
    > >
    > >Standard Epson but have also tried resetting through the greyscale
    process.

    > The Epson will use colour on B&W.
    >
    > What is your image editor and does it use colour management?
    >
    > Note that converting to grayscale is the worst way to turn colour into
    > B&W.
    > >> 4. Are you pr tinting on glossy?
    > >
    > >No using semi gloss, glossy no longer seems available.
    > >
    > Are you using Epson inks or some other brand?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Hecate - The Real One
    > Hecate@newsguy.com
    > veni, vidi, reliqui

    Many thanks for all the advice and offers to help, have made some
    adjustments and now getting good quality B/W prints.

    Ray

    "Toby" <kymarto123@ybb.ne.jpp> wrote in message
    > No the 2100 prints B&W with the full complement of inks. You should
    > calibrate using your gray balancer--this will get rid of any color cast.
    >
    > Toby
    >
    > "Ray" <rej@rpj-bexhill.demon.co.uk.removespam> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I find that when using black ink only there is a purple type sheen, can
    > > this
    > > be avoided as I imagine that only the black cartridge is being used.
    > > Would
    > > it be better to use the matt black ink? The paper used is the
    semigloss.

    > > Any advice appreciated. Colour printing is fine, no problems.
    > >
    > > Ray
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > This E-Mail has been checked by eTrust EZ Antivirus

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:05:22 -0000, "R.E. Jeffery"
    <rej@rpj-bexhill.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >Many thanks for all the advice and offers to help, have made some
    >adjustments and now getting good quality B/W prints.

    Good :)

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com