Prescott? Cedar Mill? Smithfield? what are these?

siuchin

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I'm a newbie. I just know they are about the CPUs.

Do they have any different?

How do I check which one of my CPU do I have?

can they all fit into the same motherboard?

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
They're all just Intel code names for their various processor cores. Check out the CPU section on Tom's Hardware Guide and you can read all about 'em.

To find out what you've got, download a little program called CPU-z and it'll tell you what's in your box.

And in terms of what motherboard they fit into, it depends on the CPU socket as well as the chipset on the motherboard. For example, the Intel dual core processors, of which Smithfield is one code name, are socket 775 format, but they won't run on all socket 775 boards... you need a chipset that supports the dual core as well if you want to run a Smithfield.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
True, you can fry eggs on your "Preshott", but they are VERY overclockable! (At least until they start thermal throttling! 8)

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
True, you can fry eggs on your "Preshott", but they are VERY overclockable! (At least until they start thermal throttling! 8)

this is not true, both you and prozac have it wrong. my Prescott runs cool, on stock cooling. Many other people have their Prescotts run cool. It is simply a matter of how well the HSF was installed and the thermal paste used... I know of a lot of Prescotts that run at 30C idle, 45C under load. And I've heard of an AMD FX-55 running at 50C idle, and 80C load.

I'm gonna overclock my Prescott bigtime... once I get faster RAM, and then a better mobo. 8)

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I don't know about the whole RAM thing man. I'm currently using Corsair Valueselect and you see how far I got it. I will admit, I can't go any further because of the RAM but, cheap RAM can go places. Can't wait to see how much further I can push it with good RAM.

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Interesting, I'm using Corsair ValueSelect too, but my problem is, when I oc my proc to 3.48, and that puts the RAM at DDR464, I then start getting memory errors... like, after 6 hours using the machine, programs will start shutting down randomly, things crash, and SuperPi will not run, even if I start it right away. There is always a "not round in number" or "SQR05.... something"

at least I have my pc stable at 3.27Ghz, memory at DDR436, SuperPi runs fine. 8)

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I'm a newbie. I just know they are about the CPUs.

Do they have any different?

How do I check which one of my CPU do I have?

can they all fit into the same motherboard?
different names for netburst the same ol intel crap

it's not crap, and it's not the same, Prescott is single core, Presler is 65nm dual core, Smithfield is dual core, I believe, Cedar Mill is the new 65nm single core. 8)