Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Flat screen monitors

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 9, 2005 2:01:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi simmers,



Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping on some
good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess I'll go for the
19", but others tell me that's "overkill". Furthermore somebody in this
newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a link with tutorials on how to test and
configure the monitor for its best performance. Does anybody remeber this
link? Thanks,



Loek

More about : flat screen monitors

May 9, 2005 2:01:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

L. Mulder wrote:
> Hi simmers,
>
>
>
> Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping on some
> good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess I'll go for the
> 19", but others tell me that's "overkill". Furthermore somebody in this
> newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a link with tutorials on how to test and
> configure the monitor for its best performance. Does anybody remeber this
> link? Thanks,
>
>
>
> Loek
>
>

I think this is the monitor page you wanted.

http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/articles/monitor.asp

--

boB,
Master_Caution_70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 9, 2005 2:16:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Thanks Bob,

That looked very familiar so I guess that's the one indeed,

Loek


"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> schreef in bericht
news:7YEfe.45831$AE6.28535@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> L. Mulder wrote:
>> Hi simmers,
>>
>>
>>
>> Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping on
>> some good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess I'll go
>> for the 19", but others tell me that's "overkill". Furthermore somebody
>> in this newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a link with tutorials on how
>> to test and configure the monitor for its best performance. Does anybody
>> remeber this link? Thanks,
>>
>>
>>
>> Loek
>
> I think this is the monitor page you wanted.
>
> http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/articles/monitor.asp
>
> --
>
> boB,
> Master_Caution_70
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
> Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
Related resources
May 9, 2005 10:05:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

L. Mulder wrote:
> Hi simmers,
>
>
>
> Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping on some
> good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess I'll go for the
> 19", but others tell me that's "overkill". Furthermore somebody in this
> newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a link with tutorials on how to test and
> configure the monitor for its best performance. Does anybody remeber this
> link? Thanks,
>
>
>
> Loek
>
>

The only decent flat screen monitor I've used has been the SyncMaster
152T by Samsung. Being a budget model it's "only" 15 inches and has a
native resolution of 1024x768, but after years of CRT use it's more than
enough for me. I just can't believe how much easier these things are on
my eyes. :) 

Huw
May 10, 2005 12:10:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Huw wrote:
> L. Mulder wrote:
>> Hi simmers,
>>
>>
>>
>> Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping
>> on some good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess
>> I'll go for the 19", but others tell me that's "overkill".
>> Furthermore somebody in this newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a
>> link with tutorials on how to test and configure the monitor for its
>> best performance. Does anybody remeber this link? Thanks,
>>
>>
>>
>> Loek
>>
>>
>
> The only decent flat screen monitor I've used has been the SyncMaster
> 152T by Samsung. Being a budget model it's "only" 15 inches and has a
> native resolution of 1024x768, but after years of CRT use it's more
> than enough for me. I just can't believe how much easier these
> things are on my eyes. :) 
>
> Huw

FWIW I have been running a Philips 170 S4 17 inch flat screen monitor for
just over a year, no problems, excellent graphics and works extremely well
with fs9.

Ches
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 1:59:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

L. Mulder wrote:
> Hi simmers,
>
>
>
> Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping on some
> good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess I'll go for the
> 19", but others tell me that's "overkill". Furthermore somebody in this
> newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a link with tutorials on how to test and
> configure the monitor for its best performance. Does anybody remeber this
> link? Thanks,

Having owned one almost since they came out (the larger ones, anyway), I
don't find that they need much maintenance. I recalibrate mine once in
a while but honestly don't notice a difference when I do.

I'm curious what others meant by 19" being "overkill." I have a 21" and
if I could have afforded bigger when I got it, I would have. It help
the FS experience a lot.



John

--
To reply, remove "die.spammers" from address


Von Herzen, moge es wieder zu Herzen gehen. --Beethoven
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 5:10:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"The Lindbergh Baby" <johngrabowski1@die.spammersearthlink.net> schreef in
bericht news:427FDD34.1040704@die.spammersearthlink.net...
>
> I'm curious what others meant by 19" being "overkill." I have a 21" and
> if I could have afforded bigger when I got it, I would have. It help the
> FS experience a lot.
>
> John

Hi John,

They just meant that a large screen like that was not worth the money (in
their opinion) But they ain't simers, you dig....

So I agree with you: let's go mfor that round shaped screen filling the room
with a huge beamer... or not?

Loek
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 10:44:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

There is also a configurator for text display on a TFT which makes the
screen more 'readable'.
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Ste...
Geoff

"L. Mulder" <lbn.mulder@t-online.de> wrote in message
news:D 5n69j$rlq$05$1@news.t-online.com...
> Thanks Bob,
>
> That looked very familiar so I guess that's the one indeed,
>
> Loek
>
>
> "boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> schreef in bericht
> news:7YEfe.45831$AE6.28535@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>> L. Mulder wrote:
>>> Hi simmers,
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping on
>>> some good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess I'll
>>> go for the 19", but others tell me that's "overkill". Furthermore
>>> somebody in this newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a link with
>>> tutorials on how to test and configure the monitor for its best
>>> performance. Does anybody remeber this link? Thanks,
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Loek
>>
>> I think this is the monitor page you wanted.
>>
>> http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/articles/monitor.asp
>>
>> --
>>
>> boB,
>> Master_Caution_70
>>
>> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
>> Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
>
>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 10:44:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: RIPEMD160

Hi Geoff,

On Tue, 10 May 2005 06:44:03 GMT, you wrote:

> There is also a configurator for text display on a TFT which makes
> the screen more 'readable'.
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Ste...

Thanks for mentioning that! I'm using a CRT monitor, and it works for
these as well. I've been experimenting with different fonts lately,
and one that I kind of like, "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", can look
kind of thin and "washed out" in certain applications. I downloaded
the stand alone Control Panel version of this power toy (didn't use
the online tool), adjusted the text display a bit, and now it's
looking much better! Thanks again! :-)

- --
Melissa

PGP Public Keys: http://www.freewebs.com/kuviahunnihautik/

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQCVAwUBQoBqWzEYqNTZBqoEAQOgfAP+O8Ecg+I3hlQghqC8qjBlEOFX9GwyOLIs
3fMWAvwi6aD6rXaFf9+FwWoJeA09LasuOBtySP4XrTNyBMBIo3vphcIpx9LurL0j
3IKJg40tV23Ai2ksxbhgsOn3A7tfM6pmoGb0tlAsXoA95SKI+bTIF1zNtWN6rJND
MW7H3VRoobA=
=e1CL
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 10, 2005 10:53:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I've just recently gone for a 20.1"`Dell 2005FPW (widescreen). This is my
first LCD and am very impressed.



"L. Mulder" <lbn.mulder@t-online.de> wrote in message
news:D 5n5c8$ps1$05$1@news.t-online.com...
> Hi simmers,
>
>
>
> Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping on
> some good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess I'll go
> for the 19", but others tell me that's "overkill". Furthermore somebody in
> this newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a link with tutorials on how to
> test and configure the monitor for its best performance. Does anybody
> remeber this link? Thanks,
>
>
>
> Loek
>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 11, 2005 1:18:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Thanks all,



I guess it's the usual fight again between my wishes, budgetary
possibilities and the very different wishes of my dearest wife!!

Oh, anybody any experience and thus comments on the Samsung SyncMaster 913N?



Loek
!