Hi simmers,

Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping on some
good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess I'll go for the
19", but others tell me that's "overkill". Furthermore somebody in this
newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a link with tutorials on how to test and
configure the monitor for its best performance. Does anybody remeber this
link? Thanks,

Loek

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

L. Mulder wrote:
> Hi simmers,
>

> Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping on some
> good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess I'll go for the
> 19", but others tell me that's "overkill". Furthermore somebody in this
> newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a link with tutorials on how to test and
> configure the monitor for its best performance. Does anybody remeber this
> link? Thanks,
>

> Loek

I think this is the monitor page you wanted.

http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/articles/monitor.asp

--

boB,
Master_Caution_70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Thanks Bob,

That looked very familiar so I guess that's the one indeed,

Loek

"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> schreef in bericht
> L. Mulder wrote:
>> Hi simmers,
>>

>> Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping on
>> some good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess I'll go
>> for the 19", but others tell me that's "overkill". Furthermore somebody
>> in this newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a link with tutorials on how
>> to test and configure the monitor for its best performance. Does anybody
>> remeber this link? Thanks,
>>

>> Loek
>
> I think this is the monitor page you wanted.
>
> http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/articles/monitor.asp
>
> --
>
> boB,
> Master_Caution_70
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Huw

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

L. Mulder wrote:
> Hi simmers,
>

> Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping on some
> good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess I'll go for the
> 19", but others tell me that's "overkill". Furthermore somebody in this
> newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a link with tutorials on how to test and
> configure the monitor for its best performance. Does anybody remeber this
> link? Thanks,
>

> Loek

The only decent flat screen monitor I've used has been the SyncMaster
152T by Samsung. Being a budget model it's "only" 15 inches and has a
native resolution of 1024x768, but after years of CRT use it's more than
enough for me. I just can't believe how much easier these things are on
my eyes. :)

Huw

ches

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005

Huw wrote:
> L. Mulder wrote:
>> Hi simmers,
>>

>> Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping
>> on some good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess
>> I'll go for the 19", but others tell me that's "overkill".
>> Furthermore somebody in this newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a
>> link with tutorials on how to test and configure the monitor for its
>> best performance. Does anybody remeber this link? Thanks,
>>

>> Loek
>>

> The only decent flat screen monitor I've used has been the SyncMaster
> 152T by Samsung. Being a budget model it's "only" 15 inches and has a
> native resolution of 1024x768, but after years of CRT use it's more
> than enough for me. I just can't believe how much easier these
> things are on my eyes. :)
>
> Huw

FWIW I have been running a Philips 170 S4 17 inch flat screen monitor for
just over a year, no problems, excellent graphics and works extremely well
with fs9.

Ches

L. Mulder wrote:
> Hi simmers,
>

> Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping on some
> good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess I'll go for the
> 19", but others tell me that's "overkill". Furthermore somebody in this
> newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a link with tutorials on how to test and
> configure the monitor for its best performance. Does anybody remeber this
> link? Thanks,

Having owned one almost since they came out (the larger ones, anyway), I
don't find that they need much maintenance. I recalibrate mine once in
a while but honestly don't notice a difference when I do.

I'm curious what others meant by 19" being "overkill." I have a 21" and
if I could have afforded bigger when I got it, I would have. It help
the FS experience a lot.

John

--
To reply, remove "die.spammers" from address

"The Lindbergh Baby" <johngrabowski1@die.spammersearthlink.net> schreef in
bericht news:427FDD34.1040704@die.spammersearthlink.net...

> I'm curious what others meant by 19" being "overkill." I have a 21" and
> if I could have afforded bigger when I got it, I would have. It help the
> FS experience a lot.
>
> John

Hi John,

They just meant that a large screen like that was not worth the money (in
their opinion) But they ain't simers, you dig....

So I agree with you: let's go mfor that round shaped screen filling the room
with a huge beamer... or not?

Loek

There is also a configurator for text display on a TFT which makes the
screen more 'readable'.
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx
Geoff

"L. Mulder" <lbn.mulder@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Thanks Bob,
>
> That looked very familiar so I guess that's the one indeed,
>
> Loek
>

> "boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> schreef in bericht
>> L. Mulder wrote:
>>> Hi simmers,
>>>

>>> Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping on
>>> some good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess I'll
>>> go for the 19", but others tell me that's "overkill". Furthermore
>>> somebody in this newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a link with
>>> tutorials on how to test and configure the monitor for its best
>>> performance. Does anybody remeber this link? Thanks,
>>>

>>> Loek
>>
>> I think this is the monitor page you wanted.
>>
>> http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/articles/monitor.asp
>>
>> --
>>
>> boB,
>> Master_Caution_70
>>
>> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
>> Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)

I've just recently gone for a 20.1"`Dell 2005FPW (widescreen). This is my
first LCD and am very impressed.

> Hi simmers,
>

> Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping on
> some good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess I'll go
> for the 19", but others tell me that's "overkill". Furthermore somebody in
> this newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a link with tutorials on how to
> test and configure the monitor for its best performance. Does anybody
> remeber this link? Thanks,
>

> Loek

Thanks all,

I guess it's the usual fight again between my wishes, budgetary
possibilities and the very different wishes of my dearest wife!!

Oh, anybody any experience and thus comments on the Samsung SyncMaster 913N?

Loek