Flat screen monitors

Hi simmers,

Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping on some
good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess I'll go for the
19", but others tell me that's "overkill". Furthermore somebody in this
newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a link with tutorials on how to test and
configure the monitor for its best performance. Does anybody remeber this
link? Thanks,

Loek
10 answers Last reply
More about flat screen monitors

    L. Mulder wrote:
    > Hi simmers,
    >

    > Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping on some
    > good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess I'll go for the
    > 19", but others tell me that's "overkill". Furthermore somebody in this
    > newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a link with tutorials on how to test and
    > configure the monitor for its best performance. Does anybody remeber this
    > link? Thanks,
    >

    > Loek

    I think this is the monitor page you wanted.

    http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/articles/monitor.asp

    --

    boB,
    Master_Caution_70

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    Thanks Bob,

    That looked very familiar so I guess that's the one indeed,

    Loek

    L. Mulder wrote:
    > Hi simmers,
    >

    > Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping on some
    > good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess I'll go for the
    > 19", but others tell me that's "overkill". Furthermore somebody in this
    > newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a link with tutorials on how to test and
    > configure the monitor for its best performance. Does anybody remeber this
    > link? Thanks,
    >

    > Loek

    The only decent flat screen monitor I've used has been the SyncMaster
    152T by Samsung. Being a budget model it's "only" 15 inches and has a
    native resolution of 1024x768, but after years of CRT use it's more than
    enough for me. I just can't believe how much easier these things are on
    my eyes. :)

    Huw

    Huw wrote:
    > L. Mulder wrote:
    >> Hi simmers,
    >>

    >> Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping
    >> on some good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess
    >> I'll go for the 19", but others tell me that's "overkill".
    >> Furthermore somebody in this newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a
    >> link with tutorials on how to test and configure the monitor for its
    >> best performance. Does anybody remeber this link? Thanks,
    >>

    >> Loek
    >>

    > The only decent flat screen monitor I've used has been the SyncMaster
    > 152T by Samsung. Being a budget model it's "only" 15 inches and has a
    > native resolution of 1024x768, but after years of CRT use it's more
    > than enough for me. I just can't believe how much easier these
    > things are on my eyes. :)
    >
    > Huw

    FWIW I have been running a Philips 170 S4 17 inch flat screen monitor for
    just over a year, no problems, excellent graphics and works extremely well
    with fs9.

    Ches

    L. Mulder wrote:
    > Hi simmers,
    >

    > Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping on some
    > good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess I'll go for the
    > 19", but others tell me that's "overkill". Furthermore somebody in this
    > newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a link with tutorials on how to test and
    > configure the monitor for its best performance. Does anybody remeber this
    > link? Thanks,

    Having owned one almost since they came out (the larger ones, anyway), I
    don't find that they need much maintenance. I recalibrate mine once in
    a while but honestly don't notice a difference when I do.

    I'm curious what others meant by 19" being "overkill." I have a 21" and
    if I could have afforded bigger when I got it, I would have. It help
    the FS experience a lot.

    John

    --
    To reply, remove "die.spammers" from address

    "The Lindbergh Baby" <johngrabowski1@die.spammersearthlink.net> schreef in
    bericht news:427FDD34.1040704@die.spammersearthlink.net...

    > I'm curious what others meant by 19" being "overkill." I have a 21" and
    > if I could have afforded bigger when I got it, I would have. It help the
    > FS experience a lot.
    >
    > John

    Hi John,

    They just meant that a large screen like that was not worth the money (in
    their opinion) But they ain't simers, you dig....

    So I agree with you: let's go mfor that round shaped screen filling the room
    with a huge beamer... or not?

    Loek

    There is also a configurator for text display on a TFT which makes the
    screen more 'readable'.
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx
    Geoff

    "L. Mulder" <lbn.mulder@t-online.de> wrote in message
    > Thanks Bob,
    >
    > That looked very familiar so I guess that's the one indeed,
    >
    > Loek
    >

    > "boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> schreef in bericht
    >> L. Mulder wrote:
    >>> Hi simmers,
    >>>

    >>> Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping on
    >>> some good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess I'll
    >>> go for the 19", but others tell me that's "overkill". Furthermore
    >>> somebody in this newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a link with
    >>> tutorials on how to test and configure the monitor for its best
    >>> performance. Does anybody remeber this link? Thanks,
    >>>

    >>> Loek
    >>
    >> I think this is the monitor page you wanted.
    >>
    >> http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/articles/monitor.asp
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> boB,
    >> Master_Caution_70
    >>
    >> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
    >> Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)

    I've just recently gone for a 20.1"`Dell 2005FPW (widescreen). This is my
    first LCD and am very impressed.

    > Hi simmers,
    >

    > Possibly OT, but as I am to buy a flat screen monitor, I was hoping on
    > some good advise on what type or brand I should look for. I guess I'll go
    > for the 19", but others tell me that's "overkill". Furthermore somebody in
    > this newsgroup pointed out a while ago, a link with tutorials on how to
    > test and configure the monitor for its best performance. Does anybody
    > remeber this link? Thanks,
    >

    > Loek

    Thanks all,

    I guess it's the usual fight again between my wishes, budgetary
    possibilities and the very different wishes of my dearest wife!!

    Oh, anybody any experience and thus comments on the Samsung SyncMaster 913N?

    Loek

Flat Screen Monitors Video Games