Cisco UBR900

I have a four office VPN that is managed by Charter Communications. 3 of
the 4 offices work great with no problems. They are controlled from a NOC
that is very far away from those offices. A closer office (in a bigger
town) is controlled from a NOC in that city. The one office is where the
problem lies. That router continually drops out of the network, forcing
either a power cycle of the Cisco box or calling charter and having them
reboot. They have looked at too much signal, not enought signal, etc., and
are still unable to figure it out. Is there anyone out there that throw a
few ideas my way in order to try and correct the problem. It is a cable
connection.
Thanks in advance.

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 14:57:42 +0000, N. Adkins wrote:

> I have a four office VPN that is managed by Charter Communications. 3 of
> the 4 offices work great with no problems. They are controlled from a NOC
> that is very far away from those offices. A closer office (in a bigger
> town) is controlled from a NOC in that city. The one office is where the
> problem lies. That router continually drops out of the network, forcing
> either a power cycle of the Cisco box or calling charter and having them
> reboot. They have looked at too much signal, not enought signal, etc., and
> are still unable to figure it out. Is there anyone out there that throw a
> few ideas my way in order to try and correct the problem. It is a cable
> connection.
> Thanks in advance.

Turning on logging at the router, if you haven't already, might you to
discover why the router is "dropping out". Does Charter specifically
support the uBR? If not, you might try substituting a cheap cable modem
and a two-Ethernet router to see if the problem goes away. If it does, I
would suspect your uBR cable hardware.

N. Adkins wrote:
> I have a four office VPN that is managed by Charter Communications. 3 of
> the 4 offices work great with no problems. They are controlled from a NOC
> that is very far away from those offices. A closer office (in a bigger
> town) is controlled from a NOC in that city. The one office is where the
> problem lies. That router continually drops out of the network, forcing
> either a power cycle of the Cisco box or calling charter and having them
> reboot. They have looked at too much signal, not enought signal, etc., and
> are still unable to figure it out. Is there anyone out there that throw a
> few ideas my way in order to try and correct the problem. It is a cable
> connection.
> Thanks in advance.

If you are loosing the internet connection, how is that related to VPN?

If the internet connection stays up the entire time but the VPN router
simply freezes then fix the router or replace it.

If you have power problems, get a UPS.

--
WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

Thanks, I will give it a try. The UBR900 is provided by Charter and they
have complained about it being "touchy." Thanks for your suggestion. I
appreciate it.

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 03:48:34 +0000, N. Adkins wrote:

> Thanks, I will give it a try. The UBR900 is provided by Charter and
> they have complained about it being "touchy." Thanks for your
> suggestion. I appreciate it.

Also, after a drop, if you can issue (or have someone at the remote site
issue) the following commands:

router#show controllers cable-modem 0 mac errors

and

router#show controllers cable-modem 0 mac log

This might provide some information that either you (if it is DHCP error)
or Charter if it is a frequency lock-on or other error) might be able to
use.

I guess I misdirected you. The UBR900 has a modem/router function. I can
hit the modem but nothing on the router/vpn side. The router has been
replaced by Charter numerous times. I have also replaced all switches on my
side of the network to cut down on possible collision problems. The unit is
plugged into a CyberPower AVR1500 UPS. They have now pointed the finger to
my side of the network and was just looking for possible suggestions on
where to look. I believe it is bad configuration file, but alas, Charter
will not let me have access to it. Thanks for your suggestions.

http://www.ardice.com/Regional/North_America/United_States/Texas/Localities/A/Adkins/