  • File System
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 28, 2004 2:51:25 PM

I have run chkdsk 15 times times in the past two days and
each time Windows finds problems with the file system, and
states "Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct
these". Does anyone have any information as to
whether it is normal to have to run chkdsk so many times,
and will it harm my computer if I continually restart in
order to run the utility? Thank you, Robert

More about : chkdsk

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 6:12:37 PM

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:51:25 -0700, Robert wrote:

> I have run chkdsk 15 times times in the past two days and
> each time Windows finds problems with the file system, and
> states "Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct
> these". Does anyone have any information as to
> whether it is normal to have to run chkdsk so many times,
> and will it harm my computer if I continually restart in
> order to run the utility? Thank you, Robert

How are you running the utility? If you run it in a command prompt window
or from the run line with no switches or in report mode only, it can
incorrectly report errors. The reason is that some files are in use and
cannot be checked correctly. Instead of telling you that, XP misreports
this as an error and chkdsk /f is recommended.

Instead, use Properties of a drive to run check disk (check at least the
first box) or from a command prompt using the /f or /r switch. In both
cases, you'll be prompted to restart for the check to take place.

Have been running XP since Public Preview days in this manner. Had a
problem one time only with a corrupted user profile (a couple of start menu
links) on a beta version but otherwise all I ever see is security
descriptors being updated. Have never received a system prompt regarding
file system problems (using NTFS) so run chkdsk once every few months.
Quite a difference - and a pleasant one at that - from the weekly scans I
routinely did with Scandisk and FAT32 under Win9x.

Persistent file system errors can be indicative of a hardware problem:
loose cables, failing drive, bad ram, incorrect shutdown (okay, that's a
user problem not hardware).

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

I have been going to Start, Run, type cmd, at the command
prompt type C:, press Enter, type CD\, press Enter, type
chkdsk /F, press Enter, reschedule the chkdsk operation,
restart Windows.

I have also been going to My Computer, select C: drive,
right-click the drive, select Properties on the Tools tab
under Error-checking, click Check Now, check Automatically
fix file system errors, click Start, reschedule the disk
check, restart Windows.

In both cases, I do not get a report that is on the screen
long enough to read. So, I go to Start, Run, type cmd, at
the command prompt type CD C:, press Enter, type chkdsk
C:> report.txt, press Enter, after the PC stops clicking
and a new command line is shown, I close the screen.

To view the contents of the report, I go to Start, Run,
type report.txt, and the report immediately appears on the
screen in Notepad. In each report, the various numbers of
KBs change, except the KBs for total disk space, the 0 KBs
in bad sectors, and the KBs occupied by the log file. In
each report Windows finds problems (which are not
identified) with the file system and states, "Run CHKDSK
with the /F (fix) option to correct these".

I am at a loss to understand why I have to keep running
CHKDSK with the /F option. Any help I can get will be
greatly appreciated. Robert

August 28, 2004 9:33:31 PM

try Running the chkdsk command from recovery console........as always I would
suggest backing up all important DATA on the drive before proceeding.........

boot to recovery console from XP CD.........("press R" at menu screen, if
using Raid or SCSI be sure to load drivers "F6" when prompted during
boot)........

logon to your windows installation.......(usually "1", enter)

at "x:\windows>" type ..."chkdsk /p"...............may report errors like:
1. Found 1 or more errors on the disk = run a "chkdsk /r" at "x:\windows>"
(be sure you have backed up your data)

2. Found 1 or more UNRECOVERABLE errors = Prepare to delete\recreate
Partition, format\re-install (may be indication of failing\BAD HDD).....so if
the problems happen again it is most likely a BAD drive.

the CHKDSK /R command may take a very long time,and also report errors:

1. Found and fixed 1 or more errors on the disk = hopefully the problem is
solved...

2. Found 1 or more UNRECOVERABLE errors = Prepare to delete\recreate
Partition, format\re-install (may be indication of failing\BAD HDD).....so if
the problems happen again it is most likely a BAD drive.

there may be other errors that may not be good (DON"T USE chkdsk on
partitions created or modified by non-MS software {ie. Partition magic,
MAXBLAST, and other drive overlay software})

The following infois found in XP "Help & Support" query=chkdsk:

The chkdsk command with the parameters listed below is only available when
you are using the Recovery Console. The chkdsk command with different
parameters is available from the command prompt.

chkdsk [drive:] [/p] [/r]

Parameters

none

Used without parameters, chkdsk displays the status of the disk in the
current drive.

drive:

Specifies the drive that you want chkdsk to check.

/p

Performs an exhaustive check even if the drive is not marked for chkdsk to
run. This parameter does not make any changes to the drive.

/r

Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. Implies /p.
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 1:17:11 AM

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:30:21 -0700, Robert wrote:

> In both cases, I do not get a report that is on the screen
> long enough to read. So, I go to Start, Run, type cmd, at
> the command prompt type CD C:, press Enter, type chkdsk
> C:> report.txt, press Enter, after the PC stops clicking
> and a new command line is shown, I close the screen.

Running report is not telling you the results of the last run of chkdsk.
After running check disk, use Start> Run and type in eventvwr.msc
Under Applications, you'll find a report from chkdsk about what occured
during the check. Source for the event is "Winlogon."

Quote below from MS knowledge base article:
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314835&Product=winxp)

> In read-only mode, CHKDSK quits before it completes all three phases if
> it encounters errors in earlier phases, and CHKDSK is prone to falsely
> reporting errors. For example, CHKDSK may report disk corruption if NTFS
> happens to modify areas of a disk while CHKDSK is examining the disk.
> For correct verification, a volume must be static, and the only way to
> guarantee a static state is to lock the volume. CHKDSK locks the volume
> only if you specify the /F switch (or the /R switch, which implies /F).
> You may need to run CHKDSK more than once to get CHKDSK to complete all
> its passes in read-only mode.

My recommendation is to avoid read only mode unless you need it for a
specific reason.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Sharon F -- I appreciate your information and thank you
for your response. Hopwever, now I need further help. I
believe you are saying that the report I arrange for after
running one or the other of the two procedures I outlined,
is not a report covering the results of the procedure, but
the results of a read-only procedure that I unknowingly
triggered as a part of my effort to get a report. And the
only way to get the type of report I want is to use the
Winlogon procedure. Am I correct in my understanding? If
this is correct, does the Winlogon procedure tell me
whether any problems were found with the file system if
the /F option is used, or give me any info concerning bad
sectors if the /R option is used, or tell me whether I
should continue to run chkdsk? Again thank you, Robert

Anonymous
August 30, 2004 12:00:28 AM

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:39:49 -0700, Robert wrote:

> Sharon F -- I appreciate your information and thank you
> for your response. Hopwever, now I need further help. I
> believe you are saying that the report I arrange for after
> running one or the other of the two procedures I outlined,
> is not a report covering the results of the procedure, but
> the results of a read-only procedure that I unknowingly
> triggered as a part of my effort to get a report. And the
> only way to get the type of report I want is to use the
> Winlogon procedure. Am I correct in my understanding? If
> this is correct, does the Winlogon procedure tell me
> whether any problems were found with the file system if
> the /F option is used, or give me any info concerning bad
> sectors if the /R option is used, or tell me whether I
> should continue to run chkdsk? Again thank you, Robert

Yes, you're understanding what I think is happening: your report.txt is not
telling you the results of the last scan. Instead it is giving you results
from a quick readonly scan.

If you have not changed any settings for services that relate to the Event
Viewer, you already have reports waiting for you there that are for past
runs of chkdsk (the ones that required a restart). And of course, new ones
will be created when you run the tool in the future.

When you open Event Viewer (one of the administrative tools), it presents a
two paned view similar to explorer. Click on Applications in the left
column. Scan the right column for events attributed to Winlogon. When you
find one, double click on it. Another window will open giving you the
chkdsk report.

The text that you'll see is the same that the chkdsk tool shows when it's
done running. Except, due to the restart to get Windows going, that screen
disappears very quickly and usually before one can read it. I think that
this is the information you're seeking: the reassurance that everything is
okay or details telling if problems were fixed.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

sharon F - You have been a great help and I appreciate it
very much. You have now answered all of my questions.
Thank you, Robert

Anonymous
August 30, 2004 8:44:34 PM

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 07:59:37 -0700, Robert wrote:

> sharon F - You have been a great help and I appreciate it
> very much. You have now answered all of my questions.

You're most welcome, Robert.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User