How do I control what loads at startup?

August 28, 2004 3:14:07 PM

In XP home w/ SP-2 how do I stop programs from
automatically loading at startup, i.e. quicktime? I
tried the system configuration utility and that didn't do
it. I'm talking about the icons that show up in the
system tray in the lower right corner of the screen on
the task bar.
Thanks
JJ

More about : control loads startup

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 7:53:01 PM

start>run>type services.msc here you can highlight a program and it will tell
you if you need it or not and you can decide if you want to stop it from
running or not. It's a lot safer than msconfig. I got this from the
blackviper.com site

"JJ" wrote:

> In XP home w/ SP-2 how do I stop programs from
> automatically loading at startup, i.e. quicktime? I
> tried the system configuration utility and that didn't do
> it. I'm talking about the icons that show up in the
> system tray in the lower right corner of the screen on
> the task bar.
> Thanks
> JJ

August 28, 2004 8:49:05 PM

Well got to Start>Run>and type MSCONFIG, click on the
startup tab and uncheck what you don want, then apply,
exit and log off, log back on then check the box to not
to remind you again. thats it so simple
August 28, 2004 11:27:26 PM

Using the system configuration should have stopped quick time loading. All
you needed to have done was uncheck the QuickTime option on the Start-up tab
in the system configuration utility (i.e. qttask) Click the Apply button
followed by Ok to exit.
You can, of course, hide the QuickTime icon in the system tray if that is
all you want to do. Just right click on the taskbar and, from the drop down
menu, select properties. On the taskbar tab click the Customize button on
the right of the 'hide active icons' option Look down the current items list
until you locate QuickTime. On the right of this you will see 'hide when
inactive' click on this to highlight it and then click the green down arrow.
From the list that appears select the Always Hide option. Click Ok. At the
next screen click Apply and then OK to exit.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
"JJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In XP home w/ SP-2 how do I stop programs from
> automatically loading at startup, i.e. quicktime? I
> tried the system configuration utility and that didn't do
> it. I'm talking about the icons that show up in the
> system tray in the lower right corner of the screen on
> the task bar.
> Thanks
> JJ
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 12:15:59 AM

Greetings --

In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
"display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."

Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
system registry, primarily in the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"JJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In XP home w/ SP-2 how do I stop programs from
> automatically loading at startup, i.e. quicktime? I
> tried the system configuration utility and that didn't do
> it. I'm talking about the icons that show up in the
> system tray in the lower right corner of the screen on
> the task bar.
> Thanks
> JJ
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 12:59:06 AM

if quicken is really bugging you I guess you could remove it in add/remove.
If a program needs it for it to run it usually always asks you if you want to
d/l it anyway. Just a thought and MVP you're right about it not showing in
services but other programs do show.

"JJ" wrote:

> In XP home w/ SP-2 how do I stop programs from
> automatically loading at startup, i.e. quicktime? I
> tried the system configuration utility and that didn't do
> it. I'm talking about the icons that show up in the
> system tray in the lower right corner of the screen on
> the task bar.
> Thanks
> JJ

August 29, 2004 1:48:51 AM

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:14:07 -0700, "JJ"

>In XP home w/ SP-2 how do I stop programs from
>automatically loading at startup, i.e. quicktime? I
>tried the system configuration utility and that didn't do
>it. I'm talking about the icons that show up in the
>system tray in the lower right corner of the screen on
>the task bar.

Download Start Up Inspector and run it.

http://www.windowsstartup.com/

Download from

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 4:44:19 AM

QuickTime is not registered and cannot be disabled using services msc.

--

!