D-Link router to router VPN

Dmo

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

I setup a IPSec/IKE tunnel between a DLink router model # DI-804HV and
DI-808HV. These two routers are virtually identical except for the amount
of ports on the switch portion. All settings are identical on either end.
Both have dynamic IP's with DDNS services running in the routers. When
checking the status of the VPN the remote Networks are visible and show the
distant correct IP address in both directions. I can remotely manage either
router via a web browser. I cannot ping computers on the remote network
from either end nor do they show up in the "My Network Places"/"View
Workgroup Computers".

I am an admitted amateur at VPN's and am setting this up between my home and
an apartment where my wife is working across the country. Is there any
additional software that needs to be setup to make this connection? Any and
all help is appreciated.

DMO wrote:
> I setup a IPSec/IKE tunnel between a DLink router model # DI-804HV and
> DI-808HV. These two routers are virtually identical except for the amount
> of ports on the switch portion. All settings are identical on either end.
> Both have dynamic IP's with DDNS services running in the routers. When
> checking the status of the VPN the remote Networks are visible and show the
> distant correct IP address in both directions. I can remotely manage either
> router via a web browser. I cannot ping computers on the remote network
> from either end nor do they show up in the "My Network Places"/"View
> Workgroup Computers".
>
> I am an admitted amateur at VPN's and am setting this up between my home and
> an apartment where my wife is working across the country. Is there any
> additional software that needs to be setup to make this connection? Any and
> all help is appreciated.

If the settings are exactly the same on both routers then that is your
problem.

You have to reverse the local and remote settings as appropriate for the
remote router. (What is local here is remote there)

Also without a domain controller running WINS and all client name
resolution properly being referenced to that server you will not see
remote systems in your my network places list. VPN connections do not
transfer the broadcast packets that allow the my network places features
to work on a local LAN without a domain controller server setup. Domain
browsing actually has nothing to do with VPN specifically. You would
have the same problem in a multi subnet routed network or a routed WAN
connection.

You should be able to ping by IP address and use services on the remote
network via IP address if the VPN link is working. Name resolution
issues belong in a different group.

--
WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

Also, the subnet addresses of the LANs at your two locations need to be
different.

Mike Schumann