Do Opteron's require special ram?

wal

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2004
I wanted to get an Opteron 165 as its the same price as an Athlon 64x2 3800 but I was told bye the supplier that I will need different ram to that used by std Athlon's. So far in my reading through the forum I haven't come accross anyone suggesting this. Going with an Opteron its been suggested it will cost me $800-$1000AUD more. 8O

Can I go with confidence and choose the Opteron 165 and get value ram? Maybe it has something to do with ram needing to be registered type.

G

Your supplier may have been assuming that you were going to use a server motheboard. If you used an Opteron with a server motherboard you would hae been, in all likelihood, requierd to use EEC, or buffered or registered RAM, which is considerably more expensive than unregistered RAM. The type of RAM required is a function of the motherboard not the processor itself directly.

Andrew

scoobertscoobydoo

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Your supplier may have been assuming that you were going to use a server motheboard. If you used an Opteron with a server motherboard you would hae been, in all likelihood, requierd to use EEC, or buffered or registered RAM, which is considerably more expensive than unregistered RAM. The type of RAM required is a function of the motherboard not the processor itself directly.

Andrew

registered ram is about the same price for the same quality.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147+1052307858+1052407862&Subcategory=147&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
Their all wrong, it requires VERY special ram which only I have at my house right now. Im takeing orders

You can get a 512MB chip from me for a mere 1500$ USD !!!! What a steal

just messing... it can use any DDR RAM DIMM that any other socket 939 mobo could use