How to obtain printer serial number

Hi,

does anyone know if there is a way in UNIX/Linux to poll a printer for
its serial # remotely? If anyone could put me on the right track, I'd
appreciate it.

Thank you,
Mike Cooper

bidalah@yahoo.com <bidalah@yahoo.com> wrote:

> does anyone know if there is a way in UNIX/Linux to poll a printer for
> its serial # remotely? If anyone could put me on the right track, I'd
> appreciate it.

It would depend on the brand, model, and connection of the printer.
Possibly it could be done with SNMP on higher-end JetDirect network
printers.

For inkjets, it's probably vendor specific and proprietary.