Mike

Splendid

I can't open a lnk file in outlook express. I click on
the attachment and click open the file but nothing
happens. Any suggestions?

Hi,

An lnk file is just a shortcut, it sounds like the person on the other end
sent you the wrong thing.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't open a lnk file in outlook express. I click on
> the attachment and click open the file but nothing
> happens. Any suggestions?

"mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I can't open a lnk file in outlook express. I click on
> the attachment and click open the file but nothing
> happens. Any suggestions?

From http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm

Open Windows Explorer.
Go to Tools | Folder Options | File Types.
Scroll down to URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol and select it.
Click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version.
Select 'open'.
Click Edit.

"Application used to perform this action" should read:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome
(Check the path to iexplore.exe to make sure that is correct and use the
double quotes.)

DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should have:

#1:
"%1",,-1,0,,,,
IExplore
#3 (blank)

WWW_OpenURL

URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be the same.

Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE.

If that doesn't fix it, go to Start | Run and type

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com