Level 3 cache detected?

Hi. I was running a test and i found there was a level 3 cache. Normaly, like CPU-Z and other softwares detect only 2 cache. Whats wrong? Here a screenshot.

52 answers Last reply
More about level cache detected
  1. I've seen that too with the latency test that comes with CPU-z... Obviously it doesn't mean you have three levels of cache. All it's doing is seeing the L2 cache jump from 19 to 40 cycles latency once above 256k test size, so the program assumes it is another level of cache.

Now the question, is why would your L2 show an increasing latency? Donno the answer to that... maybe some other program interfered with the test and created an erroneous result.
  2. I done the test like 10 times.
  3. I know, and every time it detects a greater latency, the program assumes it is seeing another level of cache cause cache should perform the same till you get beyond the size of the cache. The question is why does the cache latency increase above 256k? Donno the answer to that...
  4. Quote:
    Now the question, is why would your L2 show an increasing latency? Donno the answer to that... maybe some other program interfered with the test and created an erroneous result.

I believe the question to that answer is pipelining. It's very easy to fit <512KB of data into the cache (which is 512KB) without having to refer to system RAM more than once. If you'll notice, his latency takes a huge jump when going from 512KB to 1024KB. The processor has to request the data from ram twice (however many cycles that is I dunno) to fit it in the L2 cache. Why the latency remains relatively equal with 32MB of data, I have no clue. According to my logic latency should increase exponentially with an exponential increase to data size. So maybe I'm wrong.

I think that's the answer. Does that make any sense?

-mpjesse
  5. i don't know anything about your problem, but i have to say i'm impressed that you started a serious thread, i was all ready to make jokes and there it was, a REAL question! 8O

maybe we have entered a new era in mayep_necro's life, keep it up.
  6. not to me :)
  7. Ugh i got 256 kb for L2 cache. L1 cache (8kb) + L2 cache = 262 kb.

Maybe if it go upper than 256 it count it as a lvl 3 cache?

Or might i am totaly wrong.
  8. OH. thought you were using the northwood version of the 2Ghz P4.

err.... did intel even make a 2Ghz northwood?

Anyways, nevermind my post then.
  9. Yeah. So my CPU is.... Edited?
  10. hell if I know. LOL. I would trust CPU-Z's cache reports more than that benchmarking program.

What does CPU-Z say?

-mpjesse
  11. Woodies and Willies were both available at 1.6/1.8/2.0GHz. Odd numbers in between were all Willies, and higher numbers were initially Woodies.
  12. woodies got down to 1.6ghz? wow. never knew that...
  13. Oh yes, and killer overclockers they were. Celeron D 2.13GHz's are the new overclock king, going to 3.2GHz at stock voltage!
  14. Here CPU-Z screenshot.

15. So I was right, you do have a northwood. Ur L2 cache is 512KB. CPU-Z does not report a Level 3 cache- I would put more faith in that.

-mpjesse
  16. What do you mean?
  17. You said this...
    Quote:
    Ugh i got 256 kb for L2 cache. L1 cache (8kb) + L2 cache = 262 kb.

Maybe if it go upper than 256 it count it as a lvl 3 cache?

Or might i am totaly wrong.

Then I said this...
    Quote:
    OH. thought you were using the northwood version of the 2Ghz P4.

err.... did intel even make a 2Ghz northwood?

Anyways, nevermind my post then.

Then you said this...
    Quote:
    Yeah. So my CPU is.... Edited?

You said you had a 256KB Level 2 cache... Intel never made a northwood Pentium 4 CPU with a 256kb level cache... the willamette's were 256KB.

You, in fact, have a northwood Pentium 4 w/ a 512KB level 2 cache. Additionally, Pentium 4's do not have a Level 3 cache- only extreme editions do (or did anyways).
  18. There's no such thing as an L-3 cache in a processor. L-3 cache can only be found on the mobos, but not all mobos do have L-3 cache.
  19. Umm... not true. Intel made Xeon's and Pentium 4 Extreme Editions w/ Level 3 caches. See here:

Quote:
    Integrated 2MB Level 3 Cache on Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor Extreme Edition 3.46 GHz
    The 2-MB L3 cache is available only with the Pentium 4 processor Extreme Edition. The additional third level of cache is located on the processor die and is designed specifically to meet the compute needs of high-end gamers and other power users. The Integrated L3 cache is available in 2 MB and when coupled with either the 1066 MHz or 800 MHz system bus provides a high bandwidth path to memory. The efficient design of the integrated L3 cache provides a faster path to large data sets stored in cache on the processor. This results in reduced average memory latency and increased throughput for larger workloads.

http://www.intel.com/design/Pentium4/prodbref/#cache2

Here's a couple for sale:
    http://www.stalliontek.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CPP4%2D101400
    http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=556

They were originally based on the northwood and prescott cores. The cores themselves had an added 2MB of cache added on (they were not part of the die specifically) But since L2 cache's have trippled in size in the past 2 years, Intel has done away w/ L3 cache in new Pentiums.

But they did exist... and can still be bought. ;-)

-mpjesse
  20. I agree I have a Laptop with the 3.4 extrem edtion with 2mb L3 cache.
  21. what's the battery life on that thing... 15 minutes?
  22. Anyway i buyed a new computer. I will recieve it tromorow. Here the specs:

Pentium D 920 2.8 Ghz
    Unknown motherboard
    GeForce 6200SE 256mb with Turbo Cache
    Windows XP Media edition
    With a remote controler.
    2x 1028 MB Ram
    250 GB 7200 RPM HDD

Is that a good choice? I hear the Intel was hots.
  23. intelz are hot

good choice still and it will do whatever you want it too.

unfortunately though. your performance if you game will be severely crippled by the video card

the 6200Turbo Charged card is a piece of shit that should never have seen the light of day.

it is only a 64mb video card with I believe 64mbit memory pathway. means SUPER slow. what makes it worse is that memory is so small because it uses your SYSTEM RAM as it's main memory source which is even slower.

if you need a simple video card for windows. fine. but any 3d gaming or editting and you're up shit creek
  24. it's OK... but the video card is complete garbage. I'm not sure how much it cost but a 6600 is minum for gaming now. Also, that intel dual core is low end i think, proably should have got an AMD system with 3800+ x2 since AMD has better, cheaper, cooler dual cores.

Also, you seem to always rely on just numbers to decide which component is better. That 6200 may be 256mb but it sucks ass, while a 6600gt with 128mb will own it completely. Same for the RAM and Hard drive, the ram may be 2gigs, but is it crappy kingston value RAM or Corsair xms, not specifically, but thats a range. The hd might be 250gig but could be really slow and hot, but don't worry about that so much. Try to find out which mobo you got, it will help.

It sounds like you went and got an MDG package, and they may be fairly cheap, but they are crappy, how much did you pay?
  25. Alright. I'm back. Im on the new computer and i found the motherboard.

AsusTek Model: EMERY

I did some search on it and no results. On ASUS site too.

My L2 cache is pretty hign. 2048 KB.
    My hard disk is a SamSung.
    On CPU-Z it say: L1 Cache: 16 KB
    8-way
    Line size: 64 kb
    Adaptive.

L1 trace: size: 12 kuops 8-way

CPU instruction: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 EM64T

Is that good? My computer is 32 or 64?

FSB: 200.1 MHz
    Bus Speed: 800.3 MHz
    2800.9 MHz
    CPU clocks:
  26. Quote:
    Oh yes, and killer overclockers they were. Celeron D 2.13GHz's are the new overclock king, going to 3.2GHz at stock voltage!

Lohl, that's nothing
    New Celeron Cedar Mill's hit 5.0ghz on stock intel cooling :O
  27. world record is 7,8 GHz
  28. yeah, but that's phucking LN2. This is air cooled..Intel cooled.
  29. Nothing eh? 2.13GHz to 3.2GHz is like 3.2GHz at 4.8GHz. And I did say STOCK VOLTAGE.
  30. Quote:
    Nothing eh? 2.13GHz to 3.2GHz is like 3.2GHz at 4.8GHz. And I did say STOCK VOLTAGE.

Lawl, thats basically the 3.33 to 5ghz :O
  31. But some1 please find my motherboard and tell me info about it.
  32. Quote:
    But some1 please find my motherboard and tell me info about it.

Why do you need to find that anyway?
  33. Some info about my motherboard.
  34. Quote:
    Here CPU-Z screenshot.

Random red-flag: unless I'm mistaken, you appear to have two sticks of RAM with different timings. This is generally a bad idea.
  35. stuff like this is why you build your own computer or specify every part of what goes in it.
  36. My computer is not home builded. I buyed it. Here the full computer name:

HP Media Center PC m7350n

And for my old computer, i had only 1 stick of RAM. 512 mb.
  37. Some1 can find some info on my motherboard?
  38. Quote:
    Some1 can find some info on my motherboard?

Why do you need information on your motherboard? I'd be glad to show you some things if you just tell me why...
  39. Ask CPU-Z, it should tell you.
  40. I wonder if it is related to hyper-threading?
  41. I found it myself and its a:ASUS P5LP-LE

Is this good?
  42. d00d, you got a cheap system, just be happy it works.
  43. I got the answer. Its because HP have a custom made motherboard. I found it all by myself. This forum is suposed to help right?
  44. Help how? Everyone knows that HP specifies their own boards, and that mid-range HP's generally use Asus boards that are modified from the standard version by removing features.
  45. Try HWiNFO32: HWiNFO(32)
  46. Quote:
    This forum is suposed to help right?

You have 2 pages of replies over a 2-day period.

I would suggest not insulting the people that are trying to help.

If you don't get an answer to your question, please rephrase it or be more specific. Your english is a little choppy and people might not understand the question.
  47. Quote:
    Help how? Everyone knows that HP specifies their own boards, and that mid-range HP's generally use Asus boards that are modified from the standard version by removing features.

I din't not know that. Why din't u tell me? And sorry for my english, im a french.
  48. Well first, your BIOS is out of date. Try updating that first.

While CPU-Z reports your BIOS as version 1002 of Motherboard P4S8X-X, the specifications for your HP box says it's something else - a P5LP-LE.

In either case, your BIOS version is out of date.

Lastly, the answer to your question lies in the "staging" of the L2 Cache. - Or you could say that the access granularity results in the "increased latency". Technically, the test is detecting the cache correctly, and incorrectly depending on how you look at it. Obviously in your CPU there is more than one stage of the level 2 cache, or there is an access granularity issue, where only a certain amount of L2 cache can be pulled from one access method.
  49. you changed your avatar, is it even an AK47 anymore, looks like, i think an m-90, but thats a guess.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cache