Bongo (and others): Help for the Smiter?

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Bongo (and hopefully others will put their 1/50th of a dollar in), I
have been trying to come up with some ideas of how to help in
UberTristram.

I have been thinking about that Static Field sorc I had in the last HC
ladder. Her SF was not maxed but damn she could bring things down to
50% real fast in hell and not even be near them.

I know the SF isn't gonna do much aginst the 5-ple immune minions but I
sure as hell was thinking how nice it would be to be able to get the
big jamokes down to 50% life in the blink of an eye without ahving to
get close. Level 20 SF plus bonus looks like you can SF something
almost a full screen away. With an uber down to 1/2 life can this mean
that the Smiter can now finish the goober off in no time? Tell me what
you think.

The thing that would be imperative of course would be keeping the gal
alive whilst in the tristram scenery. After staticing she could heead
back out the portal and hang in Harrogath until the next jamoke is
found. If the uber meph is somehow held off till the last it might be
easy for her to Static him from off screen and stay out of range of
death by Ballz.

Depending on how many characters you want in there with you, if I have
another char sitting in the city on the other PC, once I get the sorc
back to town I can run to the other PC and slip the other char in to
help out and get the current uber-jamoke out of the way.

Naturally the minions need to be kept busy and off the Smiting Dude.
How many minions are summoned. Can a uber summon more than one group?
Or is it one and done, screw em and you're through with em?

A sorc like this would need ultralife to survive. P-Rubes stuffed
wherever possible, life charms with her maxed resists, and items that
lift life as much as possible. Might sound hard to believe but with
good vitality and charms and pluses and BO and maybe even OS, I think I
could get a sorc to have about 2.5K life. A Smoke armor would give her
50% resists and a wizspike could give another 75% resists. Mana would
not be a big problem, at least it sems that way.

Let me know.

Orion

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

~misfit~ wrote:
> Orion Ryder wrote:
> > Bongo (and hopefully others will put their 1/50th of a dollar in), I
> > have been trying to come up with some ideas of how to help in
> > UberTristram.

<snip>

> > How many minions are summoned.
>
> Ummm, in my considered opinion, lots.
>
> > Can a uber summon more than one group?
>
> Ya.
>
> > Or is it one and done, screw em and you're through with em?
>
> LOL, you wish! During the first foray into UT I managed to get away from all
> of the trio for a while and found a group of Quins. I thought I'd clear the
> area a bit and started to beat 'em down. I was making headway but they were
> just popping out of the ground in that one spot and also vampires and
> skellys were converging on me from elsewhere. In the end I gave up on that
> idea. Now, the interesting thing is, the Quins are UD's minions yet he was
> nowhere to be seen. In fact, I'm 85% sure that he was dead at that stage but
> the minions still kept appearing for several minutes after his demise.
>
> Similarly U-meph spams skellys of all types (warriors, archers and mages)
> constantly. Faster than you can kill them it seems. IMO it's a mistake to
> try to kill the minions first, the numbers seem to actually increase. Baal
> spews out vampires pretty damn quickly too. You gotta take out the 'source'.

Do the minions leave bodies when they die? Perhaps a powerful Grim Ward
could keep them off of your backs while you take out the bosses?

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

I was actually present for the start of the first UT-run the group did,
and staticed both D and Baal... but I was never able to put a dent in
Meph with it.... has anyone had any luck with SF and Ubermeph?

Liam

Liam Spencer wrote:
> I was actually present for the start of the first UT-run the group did,
> and staticed both D and Baal... but I was never able to put a dent in
> Meph with it.... has anyone had any luck with SF and Ubermeph?

I think I have read that UMeph is LI, which means that Static won't
help.

Jason, I still think that a Singer barb would be better than Grim Ward.
The Singer just stuns all minions while the smiter gets on with the
Uber, and with a couple of wizzies, viper, skill, anya could have some
pretty decent resists. And a pretty high life bulb considering the low
str/dex investment.

Anyone know what the melee damage like from the Uber3?

Liam Spencer wrote:
> I was actually present for the start of the first UT-run the group did,
> and staticed both D and Baal... but I was never able to put a dent in
> Meph with it.... has anyone had any luck with SF and Ubermeph?
>
> Liam

Great job!

After reading Misfit's post I think I'd have to agree with him that
Static in a Crescent Moon would probably be safer in hardcore than a
sorc tryign to survive.

However I'd like to know if your sorc had to do anything sneaky to stay
alive in there while jumping in range to static them.

I can't picture a Pally conviction getting uber-meph down eoungh so
that it cuts through hi LI. This is good to know, the LI on Ubermeph.
After a sorc statics the other two and they are taken out of the
picture perhaps the player can exit the game and being in another
character to take on ubermpef.

Orion

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

My Fireball Sorc did ok, as long as Ash's Pally took all the heat from
the bosses. I mainly just FB/FO'd the skeletons to keep them off of
him while he did all the work.

I still think an all-Vit Shockwave Bear or all-Vit Warcry Barb would
work the best to keep the minions at bay, because of the high life
totals they can get.

You'd just have to make sure and have some other toughies there to take
all of the abuse :)

short

shorts wrote:
> My Fireball Sorc did ok, as long as Ash's Pally took all the heat from
> the bosses. I mainly just FB/FO'd the skeletons to keep them off of
> him while he did all the work.
>
> I still think an all-Vit Shockwave Bear or all-Vit Warcry Barb would
> work the best to keep the minions at bay, because of the high life
> totals they can get.
>
> You'd just have to make sure and have some other toughies there to take
> all of the abuse :)
>

> short

Ohh, I have seen Bongo play an ultralife Shockwave Bear alongside a War
Cry Barb. The only thing that ever killed that bear was lag.

I think we are coming up with some good ideas.

Orion

Orion Ryder wrote:
> shorts wrote:
> > My Fireball Sorc did ok, as long as Ash's Pally took all the heat from
> > the bosses. I mainly just FB/FO'd the skeletons to keep them off of
> > him while he did all the work.
> >
> > I still think an all-Vit Shockwave Bear or all-Vit Warcry Barb would
> > work the best to keep the minions at bay, because of the high life
> > totals they can get.
> >
> > You'd just have to make sure and have some other toughies there to take
> > all of the abuse :)
> >

> > short
>
> Ohh, I have seen Bongo play an ultralife Shockwave Bear alongside a War
> Cry Barb. The only thing that ever killed that bear was lag.
>
> I think we are coming up with some good ideas.

Not sure but aren't there also some ranged skels that get summonned by
the U3? The Warcry barb would Taunt them over in between Warcries.
That's what I like about the Warcry Barb. He would also have some
points in Leap for the knockback effect. In fact, a max leaper would be
great. It would certainly keep most things away from the Main Player
(being the smiter).

~misfit~ wrote:
> chaliban wrote:
> > Orion Ryder wrote:

> >> Ohh, I have seen Bongo play an ultralife Shockwave Bear alongside a
> >> War Cry Barb. The only thing that ever killed that bear was lag.
> >>
> >> I think we are coming up with some good ideas.
> >
> > Not sure but aren't there also some ranged skels that get summonned by
> > the U3?
>
> Yep. Meph summons both skellimages and skelliarchers as well as warriors.

Well, they would be perfect targets for much taunting. Taunting and
Stunning. Time for me to work on that Singer.