Sign in with
Your question

dell 2350 motherboard in a different case....fron usb probs.

Last response: in Motherboards
February 25, 2006 5:40:02 PM

I have a dell 2350. I bought a new harddrive for the added space but couldn't mount it in the dell case. I bought a different case and have overcome all of the obsticals dell has thrown at me up to this point. I would like to hook up the front usb ports on this case but dell has made that a little difficult. I guess I need the pinout info from dells 20 pin plug that went to the usb ports on the front of the dell case. I am pretty good with the soldering part of this but hooking wires together without knowing for sure which wire does what scares me. I have done alot of surfing to find this information and all I keep finding is that dell hasn't published the pinout info because they don't want anyone to know it I guess. I find it hard to believe that someone hasn't figured out the information by now. Can anyone help me find which wire goes where?

I would also like to point out that buying a new mobo is out of the question. I am broke after buying the HD and case seeing as how I have a child on the way.
February 26, 2006 5:07:31 AM

Well Guys..... I figured it out.

I got out my multimeter and turned it on to the little beeping noise thing that shows continuity (sp?). I found a diagram online that showed what usb wire was what and after a few hours of poking and such I found what wire went where and I have everything going except the mic output on the front of the tower. I have decided that hooking that up on this motherboard would be next to impossible since dell didn't intend for it to be included in there mobo plug. I have tested things and found that the speaker output and one of the two usb ports works so I am pleased. I only use the front ports for my ipod so as long as one works I am happy. If anyone needs a diagram looking thing to see how to do this in the future let me know. I had to draw it out in paint with wire colors and such to keep from killing my brain so I have a picture of sorts if needed to let you know which wires go where. Anyways thanks for well......not much really but instead of leaving the post empty with no answers for the next person like me I thought I would let you know how it turned out.
February 5, 2009 11:05:48 AM

jerod2099 said:

I got out my multimeter and turned it on to the little beeping noise thing that shows continuity (sp?). I found a diagram online that showed what usb wire was what and after a few hours of poking and such I found what wire went where and I have everything going except the mic output on the front of the tower. I have decided that hooking that up on this motherboard would be next to impossible since dell didn't intend for it to be included in there mobo plug. I have tested things and found that the speaker output and one of the two usb ports works so I am pleased. I only use the front ports for my ipod so as long as one works I am happy. If anyone needs a diagram looking thing to see how to do this in the future let me know. I had to draw it out in paint with wire colors and such to keep from killing my brain so I have a picture of sorts if needed to let you know which wires go where. Anyways thanks for well......not much really but instead of leaving the post empty with no answers for the next person like me I thought I would let you know how it turned out.

Dear Sir:

I am facing with the same issue. I would be very obliged if you can send me the diagram for connection usb and the power cords.

Regards

MOhammed.
June 23, 2012 2:43:11 PM

jerod2099 said:

Hi jerod2099,

I know this post is a bit old and I hope you still have the pinout of Dimension 2350 front panel. I have the same problem too, can you please email me if you still have the diagram. Many Thanks!!!

My contact is cire.hui@gmail.com

Eric
!