Windows 7

chris74

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I have windows 7 on my laptop that I ordered. I decided to install the same disk on my PC not knowing that I could not do this. It worked perfect for a couple of months and then said I needed to purchase a valid key. I had windows XP installed on it previously. My PC says that I am running a counterfeit version of windows 7. I am a student and was looking at purchasing the windows 7 upgrade, but I am unsure that it will work on my PC. Would all I have to do is enter in the new upgrade product key, or would I have to do a clean install again? Or purchase a full version because I also do not have my previous XP product key because my ex stole my disk from me. But there should be a way that I can get it off the computer, yes, no?
Thanks

Solution
If you installed OEM 7 Pro, you need to get the same license to activate your setup. A motherboard change would at least require you to call MS to get a re-activation, but they generally do that with no hassle.

Don't worry about 32 vs 64 bit, that is really only relevant if you will use more than 4 gig of RAM.
In your case, you need to get either an OEM Win 7 disk or a regular Win 7 disk.

Unless you have the XP setup on the computer, or the media for it, you won't be able to use the Upgrade version.

If you contact MS they can probably help you sort this out, they may be able to sell you a key that will work on your setup now so you don't have to reinstall anything, just enter the new code.

Well, every time I buy milk, I pay the same per gallon, even though I get way more milk than new operating systems. Not every purchase has to have a discount if you use lots of it. Gas does not cost less the more you buy either.

Besides, they do offer student licenses, as well as enterprise and bulk OEM keys that are cheaper than regular prices. So your "should" is actually "they do".

chris74

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I had XP installed on it, but I bought a new laptop with windows 7 and i loved it. So I wanted it on my desktop as well. I would just save myself the money and install XP back on my desktop, but again I do not have the disk anymore. Will the system have XP product key in it somewhere?

So there is still no way to purchase the upgrade and then just enter the key on my computer? I just can't pay $200+ right now for a new operating system.

In the system menu I have an option to enter in a new product key. I much rather do that then have to reinstall everything all over again. Or should I just settle for an OEM. The only difference with OEM and full version is that OEM does not offer tech support...is that correct?

Why is there is no way I can just buy a product key legitimately?

If you already have Win 7 on the PC, it won't have the product key on the drive for XP, it may be on the case if the system came with XP though, the OEM key.

If you want to install a valid key and not re-install Windows 7, you will need to purchase a matching key for whatever version you have installed.

OEM has really 2 restrictions, the no support one which pretty much no-one uses anyway, and it's licensed for only that one PC. Even if you scrap the old PC, you can't re-use the same key per MS license terms. It won't re-activate under different hardware.

chris74

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Thanks for the reply. So If I have windows 7 pro installed and I purchase an OEM version I should be all set to just enter the new key? And if I trash this computer the operating system has to stay with the computer no matter what? Even if the mother board fails on it or something to that affect?

chris74

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
The system is also a 64 bit, but it is set up to be a 32 bit for some reason. I would need to do a clean install if I wanted to purchase the 64 bit version, is that right? Is there really a great need for the 64 bit version, if all I use the computer for is basic use, storage, web surfing, burning.

If you installed OEM 7 Pro, you need to get the same license to activate your setup. A motherboard change would at least require you to call MS to get a re-activation, but they generally do that with no hassle.

Don't worry about 32 vs 64 bit, that is really only relevant if you will use more than 4 gig of RAM.

Solution