PartyChief

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Specs:
MoBo: ASUS A8N SLI Premium
CPU: 4000+ San Diego
Ram: 2x1g Corsair Twinx PC3200 Cas2
PSU: ANTEC 550W Truepower II

Power on my computer its fine runs for 10min then shuts off. Then im able to hit the power button immediatly and it powers back up, runs for 2-3min shuts down. Wont power back up untill i pull the power cable and flip the Switch on the power supply, reseat the power cable and it boots up and stays on.

This senario has happened 5-6 times i have tryed to use my system.

I was shipped a bad Power cable with my PSU, replaced the cable and everything ran fine, it is now a month later and the system is acting wierd.

So i did a memtest. Says the ram is running at 201MHZ (DDR402) I have the memory timings changed in the bios to 2.5 -3-3-6 @ 2.75V 1T. I have not changed the MHZ to or from anything. I have not changed the CPu Clock from anything either. Could this small discrepencey in MHZ be the culpret in my system shut off anomaly?

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
First thing I would do is change the memory timings back to the default and see if you still have the problem.

If you still have the problem, then it would be worthwhile checking the memory with memtest86 (runs from a floppy). You can get it here: http://www.memtest86.com/

Another possibility if it's automatically shutting down without errors is the CPU overheating. Have you monitored the CPU temp (in BIOS and/or Windows).

Hope this helps

PartyChief

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
yeah i have ran memtest x86 and my temps are normal.
memtest ran for about an 1hr and 15min then Computer shut off. did this 2x. Memtest also did not find any errors, it completed 1 complete series of tests.

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
yeah i have ran memtest x86 and my temps are normal.
memtest ran for about an 1hr and 15min then Computer shut off. did this 2x. Memtest also did not find any errors, it completed 1 complete series of tests.

If the pc shutdown during memtest, then I can only think that there is a problem with the power supply or a bad/faulty connection somewhere. The only other explanation I can think of is temps, but you say they are all ok.

Recheck all connections to the motherboard from power supply. Also check that all the system panel connections are correct (specifically the atx power and reset connections).

Just thought: another possible problem may be a dodgy switch/connection on your case. Check these also.

If all of these are ok, then you will need to check the power supply itself (either with a tester kit, or by replacing it with another in the pc to see if it eliminates the problem).

Hope this helps

PartyChief

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Just thought: another possible problem may be a dodgy switch/connection on your case. Check these also.
Hummm, i will check this.... is there a way to turn on and off the mobo if i dont have a switch from the case hooked up?

malphadour

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Yes you can turn the mobo on and off without connecting a switch, you just make a short circuit acroos the two pins that you would normally connect the power switch cable to, a screw driver should do the trick.

I think the ram is a red herring, if it was the source of the problem it would be very unlikely to manifest itself in this way. As a few have suggested, your PSU is the number one culprit. Another quick and easy thing to do is take the heatsink off, remove the processor then reseat the processor and refit the heatsink. Its worth the minute it takes to remove the possibility of a bad fitting of either of these components.

charlieyv

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
well looks like we have the same system...
but
my is running fine since the very first power up... my timings are 2-3-3-6 at 2.7V. I dont noe what could it be, maybe you are using the AI booster software to make the changes AIBooster is crap in fact, delete it. umm where are u dimms installed..? use A1 and B1 slots. As for the power supply maybe u got a defective one, try using the ez-plug connector on ur mobo... it gives some power stability

PartyChief

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I have 1 video card in there, and you say plug in the Ez Plug? I havnt had as many problems since i made the ram timings go back to auto.