Overclocking AMD 64 X2

atticman

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Do the AMD 64 X2 have a multiplier lock? If so, can it be overridden like the older AMD Athlons with super glues, conductive pen and tape to short the L1 (or was it L2, maybe L3) bridges on the top of the CPU?

I Like the Toledo core and I want to buy that, but I want the ability to overclock the FSB and multiplier if possible.

If there is no multiplier lock or if there is but it can be unlocked, would it be a good idea to buy the X2 Toledo (the slowest one) and clock it up to at least 4800+ ???

Please Help!

Thanks,
-AM

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
The Multis are upwards locked so yea you cant just do that, unless you go with an FX series chip which has no multiplier lock.

The better thing to do is buy the slowest X2 toledo you can get and raise the FSB up to your needs.

IE stock is 200x10 raise it to 250x10 and boom 2.0ghz to 2.5ghz

endyen

Splendid
The only current Amd chips that has the upwards multiplier unlocked are the FX series. All chips are unlocked downwards, but that doesn't matter that much for Amd OCing.
While slower chips do have potentially more head room, memory speed becomes a factor. Do you really want to be setting your base memory rate to 266 to get that 35% overclock?
IMNSHO, the lowest multi you want to get is the 11*, but your milage may vary.