Computer died - Want to rebuild - Help!

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Western Digital
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 25, 2006 8:16:29 PM

My current computer has just died and I would like to try my hand at building a system. I would like to re-use any parts of my old system to keep costs down, but I'm not sure what is worth reusing. The system is used mainly for internet and Microsoft Office but I plan to use it to transfer old home movies to DVD. I would appriciate any recommendations.

Thanks, Eric

Old system:
AMD Athlon XP 1900+
2x512 Kingston ValueRAM KVR333X64C25/512
All in Wonder 9700 Pro 128MB AGP
Western Digital 160GB (WD 1600JB-00GVA0)
DVD ROM
DVD Burner Plextor DL 16x

More about : computer died rebuild

February 25, 2006 8:22:09 PM

I would keep the hard drive and the dvd players......I would start over with the rest...
February 25, 2006 8:45:29 PM

Get yourself a 64 bit Socket 754 Sempron, 3000+ or higher, reuse the RAM, hard disks and and DVD players. Your video card will suffice if you are only internet using a MS Officing, new CPU and motherboard should only run you about $300AUD (do yuor own converisons)

However, If you want to run vista on this, which you dont really need to do, you would want an X2 and a 6800GS at least - in other words, for what you are doing, dont bother.

I copy - excuse me, backup - movies on my brothers 32bit sempron 2400+ all the time, it takes about 40 minutes encoding and burning. I convert movies on my PIII and its about twice that. :sighs:
Related resources
February 25, 2006 9:32:33 PM

Go Intel. Sorry, i've noticed that most of my posts have been pro intel lately, making me look like a "fanboy", but in every damn post I come across, it's some guy wanting to get into audio/video encoding, which is so blatently Intel territory that I have to luagh at all the AMD recommendations. A tried and true socket 478 and a Celeron D will do you wonders. I you don't know/care about overclocking the cpu, then buy the Celeron D that's at tigerdirect for 3.06 ghz (or the 2.93 ghz one). If you want to do a little dirty work, you could pin mod the celeron D 310-315 to the 800 mhz fsb and get p4 class performance for as little as $50.

Quote:
However, If you want to run vista on this, which you dont really need to do, you would want an X2 and a 6800GS at least - in other words, for what you are doing, dont bother.

That's the most silly thing I've read yet today.
February 25, 2006 10:31:47 PM

If you can afford it, I'd recommend the X2 3800. Capturing analogue video as well as rendering and burning are resource intensive and a really slow process. When capturing analogue you have to be around so when you get the end of movie you can manually stop the capture. As far as I know, there is no program that will automatically stop the capture of analogue. The advantage of the dual core is you'll be able to do other things like surfing, listenig to music, or other things that are not resource intensive. You have to be careful when capturing, espcially analogue, your audio and video stay in sync and this can happen if your stressing the system.
!