Question: Parallel/USB to network(wired or wireless) print..

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Has anyone tried/tested/using a print server adapter? What are the
plus and minus of using one? Will the printer still be able to do all
the same functions as if it were wired directly to the computer?

One that goes from the parallel or USB of the printer, and could
connect to the router/switch of the network?

I just want to share a printer on the home/office router. I could get
a new router with print server built in, or I could get one of these
adapters to connect a printer to the network.

Was wondering if anyone could share their experience with the
individual parallel-USB to Network adapters, like the ones seen here:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=206

samurai

samurai wrote:

> Has anyone tried/tested/using a print server adapter? What are the
> plus and minus of using one? Will the printer still be able to do all
> the same functions as if it were wired directly to the computer?
>
> One that goes from the parallel or USB of the printer, and could
> connect to the router/switch of the network?
>
> I just want to share a printer on the home/office router. I could get
> a new router with print server built in, or I could get one of these
> adapters to connect a printer to the network.
>
> Was wondering if anyone could share their experience with the
> individual parallel-USB to Network adapters, like the ones seen here:
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=206
>
> samurai

I use an HP jetdirect 500ex print server (ethernet) with laser printers.

I get all the functinality that comes with the printer drivers.

You have to learn how to set them up, and HP provides some nice software
FREE to help you do this.

Win XP supports TCP/IP addressing of networked printers and the older
WinME and Win98 used other network protocols.

Running a mzied network of WinXP and Win98 will require you to probably
learn a tad more about networking and protocols, but it won't kill you.

I have no real experience with networked inkjets.

Jim

Keepsake gift for young girls.
Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
Builds strong minds 12 ways.
Guaranteed satisfaction
- courteous money back
- keep bonus gifts

http://www.alicebook.com

"samurai" <sammer003@yahoo.ca.SPAM> wrote in message
> Has anyone tried/tested/using a print server adapter?

Check with the server maker that your printer is fully supported. Not all
servers support the return path which may or may not be important for you
(eg paper out or ink level monitoring may not work).