Sign in with
Your question

Trinity case - which way to mount the fans?

Last response: in Components
February 25, 2006 10:26:13 PM

I bought a Trinity case a year (or two) ago, and like it very much. Quite silent with the covers on... Which brings me to this question. I just got an Asus a8n32 sli MB, and suddenly my CPU is running 5 to 10c warmer. OK, its a better MB than the a8n deluxe that I replaced it with, so now I just have to cool my cpu down a bit... Anyway, I got to looking at airflow (I get to look a lot as I can't run with the side cover on anymore) and noticed that the front fans blow directly over the two HD's I have mounted. So would it be better to reverse all 4 fans so that the back fans suck air into the cse and the front fans exhaust the air?

I'm getting an arctic cooler heatsink, and plan on four of the thermaltake smart fan 2's to replace the current f case fans. Any knowledge or comments on these case fans? Ok, so it is two questions...

Croc
February 25, 2006 11:19:54 PM

You can try that, but keep in mind that cooling your hard drives should be just as important as cooling ur processor. Hard drives are affected by heat just as much as CPU's (probably even more so). Additionally, I don't think blowing air in the from the rear is going to reduce ur temps all that much. All it will probably do is increase the internal case temperature which could exacerbate things.

I would say that if your CPU temp is within acceptable levels (I'm assuming u have an Athlon 64/FX/Opteron of some sort, which would be anything under say 56C IDLE) I would leave the airflow alone.

Thermaltake makes very good fans- so that's a solid decision. I don't know much about the arctic cooler heatsink however.

-mpjesse
February 26, 2006 1:00:37 AM

Don't forget the increse of dust intake. Well in mine it would.
Related resources
February 26, 2006 3:49:57 AM

Thanks for the reply.

On after thought, you're probably right. Add to that the fact that my Antec pwr supply sucks from the bottom (directly above the rear fans) which without some deflecting would mostly just suck up the fans' output and spit it out.

I'm using an AMD 64fx 55 cpu at present, used to run at 35 idle to 55 under load. Now runs at 46 idle, and sometimes over 60 under load. I've seen no posts anywhere on this anomoly, so could be a bodgy heat sensor but feel that I just have to trust the numbers I see and deal accordingly.

My trusty old Fluke hasn't got a thermal probe lead small enough to get any accurate numbers.

As to the Arctic Cooler heatsink, they have some pretty impressive reviews. The Freezer 64 pro model especially seems to rate quite high. I liked it because of its low noise signature and its high thermal dissipation rate.

Croc
February 26, 2006 4:11:55 AM

I use HEPA 3 rated dust filter material, which can easily be cut and taped over whatever intake I use, so dust isn't much of a problem. HEPA 5 would be better, but might reduce airflows quite a bit and would also clog up more frequently. I get mine from a medical supply outfit here in Australia, but am sure that it can be sourced just as easily in the US or in the EU for that matter.

I use two layers, and replace the outer layer about once a month and the inner layer about once every six months. Its actually quite cheap... Just a woven fibre thin mesh, and comes in a 10 meter roll 30 CM wide. Cost me 100AUD, and I figure that's a lifetime supply. Well, would be if all my bludging buddies would buy their own... ;-)
February 26, 2006 5:07:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

On after thought, you're probably right. Add to that the fact that my Antec pwr supply sucks from the bottom (directly above the rear fans) which without some deflecting would mostly just suck up the fans' output and spit it out.

I'm using an AMD 64fx 55 cpu at present, used to run at 35 idle to 55 under load. Now runs at 46 idle, and sometimes over 60 under load. I've seen no posts anywhere on this anomoly, so could be a bodgy heat sensor but feel that I just have to trust the numbers I see and deal accordingly.

My trusty old Fluke hasn't got a thermal probe lead small enough to get any accurate numbers.

As to the Arctic Cooler heatsink, they have some pretty impressive reviews. The Freezer 64 pro model especially seems to rate quite high. I liked it because of its low noise signature and its high thermal dissipation rate.

Croc

Yea I've kind of noticed this with the Asus A8N32 Deluxe board too. I use to have a DFI LP UT NF4 DR SLI Expert mobo and my cpu (Opteron 165 @ stock speeds w/ Zalman CNPS9500) was idle at 32C and about 38 load (I say about cause I never really got to fully test it). Now with this A8N32 board (a MUCH MUCH better board btw) I get 40C idle and 45C Load at stock speed of 1.8Ghz. These seem great now I just wonder how much it'll go up once I start to OC.

I think the main thing with mine is that on the DFI the CPU was at the front of the case with the ram behind it. Now on the Asus board (as most boards) the ram is first and CPU 2nd which puts it's further away from the direct airflow into the case. I "think" that explains mine
!