dallas

At what point does the FAA/Insurance Co. require you to fly with 2 pilots?

I think I just blew a fun opportunity. I had the chance to book a flight
leg on a little company that flies Cessna 402Cs.
http://www.floridacoastalairlines.com/fleet.htm

They claim they can carry 9 passengers on short field performance.

I think I realized that the 9th seat would be the copilot seat and I'm
bummed out about missing the chance to play RL copilot. Is it legal to
commercially fly 9 passengers with only one pilot?

Dallas

> At what point does the FAA/Insurance Co. require you to fly with 2 pilots?
>
> I think I just blew a fun opportunity. I had the chance to book a flight
> leg on a little company that flies Cessna 402Cs.
> http://www.floridacoastalairlines.com/fleet.htm
>
> They claim they can carry 9 passengers on short field performance.
>
> I think I realized that the 9th seat would be the copilot seat and I'm
> bummed out about missing the chance to play RL copilot. Is it legal to
> commercially fly 9 passengers with only one pilot?
>
> Dallas

Ask, and ye shall receive:

CFR 14 Part 25 Appendix D:
Criteria for determining minimum flight crew. The following are considered
by the Agency in determining the minimum flight crew under §25.1523:

(a) Basic workload functions. The following basic workload functions are
considered:

(1) Flight path control.

(2) Collision avoidance.

(3) Navigation.

(4) Communications.

(5) Operation and monitoring of aircraft engines and systems.

(6) Command decisions.

(b) Workload factors. The following workload factors are considered
significant when analyzing and demonstrating workload for minimum flight
crew determination:

(1) The accessibility, ease, and simplicity of operation of all necessary
flight, power, and equipment controls, including emergency fuel shutoff
valves, electrical controls, electronic controls, pressurization system
controls, and engine controls.

(2) The accessibility and conspicuity of all necessary instruments and
failure warning devices such as fire warning, electrical system malfunction,
and other failure or caution indicators. The extent to which such
instruments or devices direct the proper corrective action is also
considered.

(3) The number, urgency, and complexity of operating procedures with
particular consideration given to the specific fuel management schedule
imposed by center of gravity, structural or other considerations of an
airworthiness nature, and to the ability of each engine to operate at all
times from a single tank or source which is automatically replenished if
fuel is also stored in other tanks.

(4) The degree and duration of concentrated mental and physical effort
involved in normal operation and in diagnosing and coping with malfunctions
and emergencies.

(5) The extent of required monitoring of the fuel, hydraulic,
pressurization, electrical, electronic, deicing, and other systems while en
route.

(6) The actions requiring a crewmember to be unavailable at his assigned
duty station, including: observation of systems, emergency operation of any
control, and emergencies in any compartment.

(7) The degree of automation provided in the aircraft systems to afford
(after failures or malfunctions) automatic crossover or isolation of
difficulties to minimize the need for flight crew action to guard against
loss of hydraulic or electric power to flight controls or to other essential
systems.

(8) The communications and navigation workload.

(9) The possibility of increased workload associated with any emergency that
may lead to other emergencies.

(10) Incapacitation of a flight crewmember whenever the applicable operating
rule requires a minimum flight crew of at least two pilots.

(c) Kind of operation authorized. The determination of the kind of operation
authorized requires consideration of the operating rules under which the
airplane will be operated. Unless an applicant desires approval for a more
limited kind of operation. It is assumed that each airplane certificated
under this Part will operate under IFR conditions.

Arthur

So, what does the captain do? Sit there and look important??

Arthur

"Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote :

> So, what does the captain do? Sit there and look important??

talk to the radio if he's done with the newspaper
and after the last landing choose the flight attendant.

it's a hard life, isn't it.

dallas

"pr"
> Yes. Cape Air, of Hyannas, Massachusetts, and Florida flies as a
> scheduled carrier with Cessna 402s:

Crud. I guess that means I really did miss a chance to sit in the right
seat on the flight.

Dallas

Arthur

Yeah...that's too bad.
Look on the bright side.....the pilot could have had a heart attack or ate
some bad clams or something. Then, you would have been expected to land the
plane with all those souls depending on you.
Think you could have done it? If the answer is 'no', then I expect you to
withdraw the crud. If the answer is 'yes', then you can keep the crud.
How's that for a deal? : )

Arthur

> "pr"
>> Yes. Cape Air, of Hyannas, Massachusetts, and Florida flies as a
>> scheduled carrier with Cessna 402s:
>

> Crud. I guess that means I really did miss a chance to sit in the right
> seat on the flight.
>
> Dallas

Over here in Europe the Channel Islands (UK jurisdiction) have an airline
operating Britten-Norman Islanders and Trislanders which are single crew
operation. It is quite normal on a full flight for a passenger to be seated
in the right hand seat :0))

Iain

> At what point does the FAA/Insurance Co. require you to fly with 2 pilots?
>
> I think I just blew a fun opportunity. I had the chance to book a flight
> leg on a little company that flies Cessna 402Cs.
> http://www.floridacoastalairlines.com/fleet.htm
>
> They claim they can carry 9 passengers on short field performance.
>
> I think I realized that the 9th seat would be the copilot seat and I'm
> bummed out about missing the chance to play RL copilot. Is it legal to
> commercially fly 9 passengers with only one pilot?
>
> Dallas

dallas

"Arthur"
> Look on the bright side.....the pilot could have had a heart attack or ate
> some bad clams or something. Then, you would have been expected to land
the
> plane

Oh, that's how I was going to talk myself into that seat... "A student
pilot is better than Joe Blow passenger if the pilot eats some bad clams or
something".

I can't believe they can get 10 people and luggage on a Cessna 402C. I
guess I don't know anything about the 402. A friend of my flew a Cessna 414
commercially for a little while, he hated it. He said it was horribly
underpowered and trying to get it off the ground with a full load was a
bitch.

The Cessna 414 must be a smaller aircraft than the Cessna 402 because I
can't imagine how you could get more than 6 passengers on a 414.

Dallas

> "Arthur"
>> So, what does the captain do? Sit there and look important??
>
> He Quills.
>

> Dallas

Can't kill us off - Dallas and JR and me in the same thread.
We Ewing's don't just control the oil market!

J.B. Ewing

"John Ewing" <none@needed> wrote :

>> "Arthur"
>>> So, what does the captain do? Sit there and look important??
>> He Quills.
>> Dallas
>
> Can't kill us off - Dallas and JR and me in the same thread.
> We Ewing's don't just control the oil market!
>
> J.B. Ewing

you better control Pamela, Bob :)