Sign in with
Your question

Cedar Mill Chipsets

Last response: in CPUs
February 25, 2006 10:53:07 PM

What chipsets are needed to support the just-released Cedar Mill single core Intels? 955X? 975X? Even lower? Help would be appreciated.

More about : cedar mill chipsets

February 25, 2006 11:23:26 PM

Chipsets 915 and above as well as 3rd party chipsets (NF4) should support Cedar Mill. Cedar Mill is just a new core, not a new architecture. There isn't much change from Prescott, other than the obvious.

PS: If you're thinking of getting it, don't.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
February 26, 2006 2:46:56 AM

Quote:
Chipsets 915 and above as well as 3rd party chipsets (NF4) should support Cedar Mill. Cedar Mill is just a new core, not a new architecture. There isn't much change from Prescott, other than the obvious.

PS: If you're thinking of getting it, don't.

Don't need the newer Intel chipsets for the 65nm dual cores though?
And why not get it? These will overclock like a bat out of hell...
Related resources
February 26, 2006 3:28:16 AM

No, according to several sites (Xbit, Anand, Intel, etc.) you don't. And big woop, it overclocks, stop the press! As I said before, overclocking potential doesn't negate power potential. Just because you can have a 5GHz Cedar Mill doesn't mean it will beat a 3GHz A64. And if it does, you're still gonna heat up your house and burn the chip in the process. It's not worth it over an A64, and from your sig, you already at a 2.8 Venice, how much more freakin' power do you need? Don't be a damn fool and waste money.

February 26, 2006 3:48:43 AM

Quote:
No, according to several sites (Xbit, Anand, Intel, etc.) you don't. And big woop, it overclocks, stop the press! As I said before, overclocking potential doesn't negate power potential. Just because you can have a 5GHz Cedar Mill doesn't mean it will beat a 3GHz A64. And if it does, you're still gonna heat up your house and burn the chip in the process. It's not worth it over an A64, and from your sig, you already at a 2.8 Venice, how much more freakin' power do you need? Don't be a damn fool and waste money.

Judging from my sig you'll also see I could sell my current set up for the 450 or so needed to redo it parts of it on Intel. I'm sick of DFI bullcrap, and there aren't many other mobo's that support the massive memory voltage I need =(
Also, I'm rather open minded, and I am a fan of hyperthreading. I highly doubt a 5ghz Intel would lose to a 3ghz amd in any real benchmark. Heat will not be a problem, as I have a very powerful aftermarket cooler and am seriously considering building a phase changer. Also, please send me some info from review websites if you are intent upon changing my mind towards a 148 or just keeping the damn Ultra-D.
February 26, 2006 3:52:08 AM

I'm not intent upon anything nor do I give a damn what you do. I don't care what little Benchmark Ben tells you, Real World Ralph can take Benchmark Ben anyday. While you're "building a phase change", build yourself an igloo too, you're gonna need it to cool your CPU and your ego.

February 26, 2006 3:55:20 AM

Quote:
I'm not intent upon anything nor do I give a damn what you do. I don't care what little Benchmark Ben tells you, Real World Ralph can take Benchmark Ben anyday. While you're "building a phase change", build yourself an igloo too, you're gonna need it to cool your CPU and your ego.

You are a tool if you think you need an extremely powerful cooler to cool an Intel, that is absolute bullcrap.
February 26, 2006 4:00:20 AM

Quote:

You are a tool if you think you need an extremely powerful cooler to cool an Intel, that is absolute bullcrap.

You're the second person here to call me a tool, must be that I'm good because I keep being used to fix things that stupid people do, hmm. But I do believe that you said the statement of the year: "if you think you need an extremely powerful cooler to cool an Intel, that is absolute bullcrap". Wow sir, you are an ignorant little man, I envy you.

February 26, 2006 4:02:01 AM

You dont understand, he wants to try a dual core.
He should stay away from the opterons, they would be too much for him.
February 26, 2006 4:03:20 AM

Ya, I don't understand. I don't understand how Cedar Mill is a SINGLE CORE processor and he wants a Dual Core...Hmm... You're brilliant!

/me still wonders why ak47 hasn't concluded Igloos don't cool things down...hmm...

February 26, 2006 4:08:20 AM

Quote:

You're the second person here to call me a tool, must be that I'm good because I keep being used to fix things that stupid people do, hmm. But I do believe that you said the statement of the year: "if you think you need an extremely powerful cooler to cool an Intel, that is absolute bullcrap". Wow sir, you are an ignorant little man, I envy you.

Just because you aren't using the stock cooler doesn't mean you need something ultra powerful; even at that, you typically do not need to modify the cooler provided you aren't overclocking and have decent case flow. Also, Intel's have a higher heat tolerance than AMD's, and it's not like there isn't a single hot Intel chip that isn't totally stable or a hot AMD chip or a Pentium M that doesn't run cool. I am the second and certainly not the last to call you a tool because you are an ignorant fanboy whose posts are absolutely biased and foolish.
February 26, 2006 4:11:34 AM

Wow, Tool and Fool, such cool words to be used by such a cool person, dang you're awesome! It doesn't really matter if an Intel CPU can "tolerate more heat" (not that something not living can "tolerate" anything) because an AMD CPU (even at a nice 3GHz) will not get above 50c Full Load (even on stock cooling). And I keep tellin' you Intel dudes, I aint no AMD fanboy. Just because it smells like a duck, tastes like a duck, and looks like a duck, doesn't mean it can't be a T-Rex.

February 26, 2006 4:18:35 AM

Quote:
You dont understand, he wants to try a dual core.
He should stay away from the opterons, they would be too much for him.

No, when I said the "65nm dual cores" I was inferring that some chipsets could potentially care about the move from 90nm to 65nm dual cores, as they may care as much about the move from 90nm to 65nm single cores. BTW, how the hell are you going to tell me the Opterons are too much for me? I personally own a 165...
Which, ran quite hot. Sorry to break your moment...
February 26, 2006 4:19:47 AM

It'll overclock well, but still won't beat most AMDs overclocked like that. The only Intel 65nm I'd want is their 955EE. Now that chip can overclock, and it's dual core!
I wouldn't bother getting the Cedar Mill, but hey if you're really interested then that's your business.
February 26, 2006 4:20:46 AM

End-User Ignorance doesn't negate a bad chip, sorry ak47. My moment is still perfectly intact.

February 26, 2006 5:46:49 AM

Quote:
Ya, I don't understand. I don't understand how Cedar Mill is a SINGLE CORE processor and he wants a Dual Core...Hmm... You're brilliant!

Yea, thanks, I guess when I responded to his comment
Quote:
Don't need the newer Intel chipsets for the 65nm dual cores though?
I didn't take into account that all chipsets that officially support cedar mill also support Presler.
February 26, 2006 6:07:16 AM

That's all I wanted to know this entire post. Thank you endyen for one of the few actually helpful posts...
February 26, 2006 6:22:58 AM

Right, as all my posts that inform 10, 20, 30+ people of true information isn't helpful....hmm....interesting.

February 26, 2006 6:41:12 AM

Quote:
Right, as all my posts that inform 10, 20, 30+ people of true information isn't helpful....hmm....interesting.

Fanboy posts don't count.
February 26, 2006 6:52:36 AM

Quote:

Neither do posts by somebody who's a moron.

February 26, 2006 7:15:27 AM

Quote:

Neither do posts by somebody who's a moron.

Exactly why I didn't count yours.
February 26, 2006 4:02:37 PM

<yelling across the forumz> hey everyone come quick mike and ak are fightin!
February 26, 2006 4:02:58 PM

I don't understand why mike should be flamming ak47. It's ak's buisness he wants one, why bother arguing?
February 26, 2006 4:30:25 PM

I'm not flamin' anybody, stating facts and flaming are 2 different things.

February 26, 2006 4:47:09 PM

I think this chart will help explain everything you need to know man. Basically, everything above the 925X will handle the newer dual cores. There are a few chipsets below the 925X which will handle the new ones as well which puzzles me greatly.

http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/showchart.aspx?mmID...

It might take a second for the page to load
February 26, 2006 6:32:26 PM

Quote:
I'm not flamin' anybody, stating facts and flaming are 2 different things.

So, stating I am a "damn fool" for considering buying an Intel isn't flaming? whatever...
February 26, 2006 6:39:48 PM

Quote:
I think this chart will help explain everything you need to know man. Basically, everything above the 925X will handle the newer dual cores. There are a few chipsets below the 925X which will handle the new ones as well which puzzles me greatly.

http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/showchart.aspx?mmID...

It might take a second for the page to load

Will all of the boards that use those chipsets past the 925X need a BIOS update?
February 26, 2006 9:50:23 PM

No, it happens to be good advice. Wasting money on a CPU that can overclock high is foolish if it's an Intel P4, we've already established this fact.

February 26, 2006 10:07:37 PM

Quote:
No, it happens to be good advice. Wasting money on a CPU that can overclock high is foolish if it's an Intel P4, we've already established this fact.

No, it isn't. They hit 4.5 on stock cooling. 5+ghz will kick the living crap out of anything. period.
February 26, 2006 10:58:32 PM

Quote:

No, it isn't. They hit 4.5 on stock cooling. 5+ghz will kick the living crap out of anything. period.

I needed a good laugh, thanks.

February 26, 2006 11:19:11 PM

lol me too
February 26, 2006 11:44:37 PM

What, don't believe me? I can prove it unlike you.
February 27, 2006 12:30:20 AM

Okay, prove to me what you want to prove. That an Intel CPU is slower than an AMD CPU.

February 27, 2006 12:56:07 AM

Quote:
Okay, prove to me what you want to prove. That an Intel CPU is slower than an AMD CPU.

Clock per clock, Intel Netburst falls behind K8. However, Mobile's give AMD an asskicking at far lower frequencies. Funny you claim not to be a fanboy. I might just overclock a Dothan to totally prove your idiotic theory wrong.
February 27, 2006 1:05:23 AM

Uhm...what theory?

February 27, 2006 1:06:15 AM

Your fanboyist theory that anything Intel makes sucks.
February 27, 2006 1:09:06 AM

Quote:

That's a nice theory, too bad it's not mine. I said AMD CPU beats an Intel CPU, and that's a fact. No theory.

February 27, 2006 1:14:48 AM

Quote:

That's a nice theory, too bad it's not mine. I said AMD CPU beats an Intel CPU, and that's a fact. No theory.

Close enough as far as I'm concerned. I'd like see any AMD cpu beat the Pentium M chips. Also, you fail to recognize that Intel chips overclock higher than AMD's. That's a fact that turns the tables on Netburst rather quickly.
February 27, 2006 1:19:17 AM

It's called AMD Turion 64, and it does beat a Pentium M. I don't care how high you can get, as I said before, a 3GHz AMD will beat a 5GHz P4.

February 27, 2006 1:28:04 AM

Quote:
It's called AMD Turion 64, and it does beat a Pentium M. I don't care how high you can get, as I said before, a 3GHz AMD will beat a 5GHz P4.

I didn't say Turion, I said any AMD chip. No, an AMD at 3ghz will not win against an Intel at 5ghz, unless you try and pick and choose benchmarks. 90nm SOI has more leakage once you start to push it. Strained Solicon does not suffer from this as much. Also, 5ghz isn't necessarily even the limit with the Cedar Mill on air, whereas no AMD's will go above 3.1ghz on the same cooling.
February 27, 2006 1:32:26 AM

Quote:

I didn't say Turion, I said any AMD chip. No, an AMD at 3ghz will not win against an Intel at 5ghz, unless you try and pick and choose benchmarks. 90nm SOI has more leakage once you start to push it. Strained Solicon does not suffer from this as much. Also, 5ghz isn't necessarily even the limit with the Cedar Mill on air, whereas no AMD's will go above 3.1ghz on the same cooling.

After hearing you post that, I'm leaving this thread. You're a huge intel fanboy newbie moron, just like michaelahass. Buh Bye sweet cheeks.

February 27, 2006 1:34:57 AM

Quote:

After hearing you post that, I'm leaving this thread. You're a huge intel fanboy newbie moron, just like michaelahass. Buh Bye sweet cheeks.

Prove me wrong and find a single person who got their Opteron 144 stable above 3.1, or a 3ghz AMD beating a 5ghz Intel...Try.
March 1, 2006 3:06:47 PM

Quote:
anything Intel makes sucks.

I concur!
March 1, 2006 3:11:45 PM

Quote:
anything Intel makes sucks.

I concur! maxiius you got my pm good lets take down these intel fanboy's now :twisted:
March 1, 2006 3:45:33 PM

Arguing on the Internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win you're still retarded!
March 1, 2006 4:04:43 PM

Quote:
Arguing on the Internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win you're still retarded!
lol flyguy lol
March 1, 2006 7:03:08 PM

Hahhaha, good pic! :lol: 
!