Sign in with
Your question

Just put together a new system, need some advice

Last response: in Systems
February 25, 2006 11:27:08 PM

Ok so I just did a major upgrade of my system, the only things left are the case and hard drive. I got most of it on sale for pretty cheap. The system is as follows
MSI k8n neo2 ultra socket939
AMD AThlon64 3800
2x512meg Kingston Hyper X DDR400
ATI Radeon 9250 128meg
20gig ata33 hard drive

Ok so the system is up and running and is working fine. But its not as fast as I thought it should be, my brothers P4 3.0 512meg Gateway is faster by a decent margin, shouldnt my AMD3800/1gig system outperform his system?? Im thinking the old hard drive is holding the whole system back?? Its a very old 20gig ata33 4200rpm drive, is this my problem??? Will upgrading to a modern 7200rpm Sata150 drive make a big differance??

My other question is, I have a pair od 512meg Kingston HyperX memory sticks installed right now. But I have another pair of cheapy 512meg sticks that I could also use in the system. Will mixing the slower ram with the Kingston Hyper X be a bad idea?? Im affraid it may actually hurt the performace rather than help since I would have to relax the timings quite a bit. The Kingston can run 2-3-2-6-1 while the cheapy ram can only run around 3-3-3-8 so what do you guys reccomend?? The 1gig of fast HyperX or 2gigs mixed??
Thanks alot

More about : put system advice

February 25, 2006 11:31:12 PM

Ditch that "cheapy" RAM and put it in some home server or use it as a knife for cutting your caffeine pills at a lan party to share with friends. Your system is bogged down by that horrid 4200RPM HDD. Get yourself a 80GB 7200RPM Western Diggy. Your RAM, although I despise Kingston, is good. Don't bother w/ 2GB as from your 9250 vid card, you won't be doing anything "intense" (unless you multitask w/ multiple IE browsers and windows pinball, yikes!).

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
Related resources
February 25, 2006 11:42:52 PM

Meh, must be because I been watching too much "House". I dled the first season and it's freakin' hillarious, maybe his charm is rubbing off on me. O well, we do have another thing in common, we know what we're doing :) .

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
February 25, 2006 11:46:39 PM

You might also want to upgrade to a 6600GT or higher like a 6800GS.

:D 
February 26, 2006 12:34:21 AM

Dang Mike, wake up on the wrong side of the bed man? lol

Using a SATA drive will certainly improve your performance on that machine. Don't mix RAM sticks. The one GIG is sufficient for your use. Just upgrade the drive as Mike and Mr. Linux suggested and you'll notice a huge difference.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 26, 2006 12:55:16 AM

DO NOT put a 250gig hard drive on that board. Neo2 is an older platform and it may not recognize the newer type, high capacity hard drive. 1 or 2 80 gig serial ata 133, would be your better bet.....7200 rpm

Don't mix higher performance memory with cheaper stuff. Will slow down the faster mem, and may hamper machine in other ways. 1 gig is plenty.
February 26, 2006 1:22:38 AM

I have that board and it sees large drives just fine.

48bit LBA has been around for a while.

XP will NOT see past 137GB without SP1 that's XP for ya ;-)

Certain other Operating Systems do not have XP's problem :D 
February 26, 2006 2:20:50 AM

Ok thanks for the advice guys. I figured that hard drive was slowing things down considerably. Buy as for the memory advice, I tried the 2gigs, 1gig Kingston HyperX and 1gig cheapy ram running 2.5-3-3-8 and the system does seem to be running faster than just 1gig HyperX at 2-3-2-6. I donno if maybe the hard drive has something to do with it?? Im thinkng since with 2gigs the system doesnt have to write to the slow drive as often and is making the system seem faster. Maybe with a new HD the single gig of HyperX would be faster?? Im prettty much a newbie with this stuff. But im not going to upgrade my Radeon 9250, because I dont play any games and I dont think I need a $200 video card to surf the web? I just want5 the system to run as fast as possible with basic tasks.
thanks again
frank
February 26, 2006 4:02:39 PM

4 sticks run slower than 2 sticks however the extra RAM is causing windoze to swap less so it's faster.

Windoze is a major memory hog.
February 26, 2006 4:04:20 PM

Thanks. SO do you think when I get a new faster HD it will actually run faster with the 1gig at tighter timings?? Or you think I should just stick with the 2gigs. It definitly is faster with 2gigs right now.
Thanks
February 26, 2006 4:58:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks. SO do you think when I get a new faster HD it will actually run faster with the 1gig at tighter timings?? Or you think I should just stick with the 2gigs. It definitly is faster with 2gigs right now.
Thanks

Negative, keep the 2GB and get a new HDD.

Going from 1GB to 2GB RAM makes a big difference.

Going from 2GB to 4GB doesn't make that much of a difference (when using windoze).

Using better OSes increasing your memory should always help.

This DOES NOT apply to 2xx or 8xx Opterons because each time you add CPUs you increase your memory bandwidth :D  :D 
!