Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ultra X-connect 500w power supply for $19 at Microcenter??

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 26, 2006 2:44:14 AM

Ok so I m in the process of putting together a new system and I needed a new power supply. I was in Microcenter just looking and I found this great deal. Its an Ultra 500w X-connect supply which regulary goes for $90, they gave me $20off at the register and a $50mail-in-rebate. How can you beat that price. Im just wondering if anyone else has one of these power supplys?? Do they have alot of problems or something why such a good deal???

http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=...
February 26, 2006 3:02:56 AM

My father bought one of those for his PC, and while I don't know how much he paid for it, he definitively hasn't had any problems since he's installed it; 2-3 months ago.
February 26, 2006 3:09:11 AM

For one, do not trust ANY rebate that has to do with an Ultra product; you are paying $70. I had rebates for my case/psu I got from tigerdirect.com that never came. This calls for ONE HELL OF A NASTY CALL....
Secondly, the x-connect 500w I had wasn't that great. The voltages were always a little unstable, It had no 24 pin connecter, no PCI-E support. Worked though. It made me queasy. I got an OCZ just to make sure my OC'ed to hell system wouldn't die.
What motherboard and other coponents are you getting?

By the way, I will seriously sell you my X-Connect 500w for $20 if you want it and don't plan on doing any oc'ing or serious computer projects. Perfect condition etc, but I am too lazy to ebay it.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
February 26, 2006 3:17:19 AM

I have one in the machine thats running while I'm typing this. It's in the neighborhood of 2-3 years old, closer to 2 I think, and even though it always smells a little "electical burny", it's run like a champ, and haven't had any problems. Also had it in an sli machine for 2 weeks til my new one arrived. Voltages are always slightly above where they are suppose to be......ie 12v....12. "point" something....3v....3. something.......good power supply.....really good price
February 26, 2006 3:18:58 AM

Quote:
I have one in the machine thats running while I'm typing this. It's in the neighborhood of 2-3 years old, closer to 2 I think, and even though it always smells a little "electical burny", it's run like a champ, and haven't had any problems. Also had it in an sli machine for 2 weeks til my new one arrived. Voltages are always slightly above where they are suppose to be......ie 12v....12. "point" something....3v....3. something.......good power supply


You put a 20pin 500w ultra psu in an sli build?
Go see a psychiatrist, Right now.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
February 26, 2006 3:32:18 AM

Yea, I put a 20 pin on an sli board. They all don't have to be 24 pin. I know somebody who used a 20 to 24 pin adapter.....things work....I also know somebody who used a 20 -24 pin adapter and fried his motherboard.
I also used a 20 pin 400 watt no name brand psu on one. whats the big deal
February 26, 2006 3:33:36 AM

I have one and it works great it is even the version with the Blue Coldcathode fan. :D  I have had it for a while and really havent had any problems other that the cathode going out and i got it exchanged for free so im happy, but i still havent gotten my rebate so thats another thing, watch out they might try to screw you..???
February 26, 2006 3:36:26 AM

There is no big deal. If the RAIL's are stable (+12v and +5v are used in vid cards), you have enough power (500w for SLI is good) and enough amps on the +12v (Dual 18A or Single 35A is good) than don't worry, you're fine. Not everybody is as forgiving with themselves as some.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
February 26, 2006 3:39:05 AM

Do yall even know what the extra four pens are for, probably not. They are acctually there to provide power to an extra 4-pin molex socket built into the motherboard and since companies started making the 24 for the ones with the extra molex socket, mobo manufacturers started to build more mobos with the 24 pin set up even if they didne have the molex socket. There ive told you every thing i know about the topic, now rejoice in your stupidity.
February 26, 2006 3:46:57 AM

garsh slinger, you just know everything, don't you? You're so smart, able to figure out such staggering deductions from the hardest of topics? Man, you really are the real deal, aint ya? Dang dude, thanks for curing my stupidity, you're so cool! :lol: .

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
February 26, 2006 3:49:53 AM

Quote:
Yea, I put a 20 pin on an sli board. They all don't have to be 24 pin. I know somebody who used a 20 to 24 pin adapter.....things work....I also know somebody who used a 20 -24 pin adapter and fried his motherboard.
I also used a 20 pin 400 watt no name brand psu on one. whats the big deal


I did that while I had mine.

For overclocking and putting 1000 dollars on a PSU, if it fries and seriously overvolts I am screwed.
February 26, 2006 3:53:11 AM

Quote:
Do yall even know what the extra four pens are for, probably not. They are acctually there to provide power to an extra 4-pin molex socket built into the motherboard and since companies started making the 24 for the ones with the extra molex socket, mobo manufacturers started to build more mobos with the 24 pin set up even if they didne have the molex socket. There ive told you every thing i know about the topic, now rejoice in your stupidity.


That is nothing. My DFI has that, a 4 pin molex and an FDD power cable all needed to run without problems.
February 26, 2006 4:21:07 AM

Glad there are members like him that really help me out.
February 26, 2006 4:24:29 AM

Um so is $19 for this PS a good deal or what?? Im not OC'in or gaming. Just a basic AMD3800/2gig ram/Radeon 9250/single hard drive setup.
February 26, 2006 4:25:29 AM

Should be fine. Again though, Do not count on those rebates.
February 26, 2006 4:30:38 AM

Hmm...I wouldn't not count on rebates, even though yes, it is possible some huge methodical (I hope that isn't too big a word) event happens and your rebate gets "snuffed out", but it also can takes months to get them back, hence the 2 months for my friends 2 Raptors and the 3 weeks it took for $450 rebates on my brothers laptop, hmmm...

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
February 26, 2006 4:33:00 AM

What company is providing the rebate? If it is the company/site that sells the PSU itself, then it is far more accountable than if they have an independent retailer do it for them.
February 28, 2006 7:29:21 PM

If it fries you're only out 19 bucks assuming it doesn't toast the mb, proc, ram, video....might as well get yourself a powmax, ok that was harsh :) , spend 50 bucks and get an antec, silverstone, enermax, something you can trust.
February 28, 2006 7:37:51 PM

Yeah, PSU is NOT something you want to be cheap on...you will learn that the hard way
February 28, 2006 7:39:27 PM

I call it "PowMax Syndrom" :) 

Too many first time builders in particular are lured into this disease...
February 28, 2006 7:47:00 PM

tigerdirect is godawful for rebates. i know that much. i dunno about the company Ultra themselves.
February 28, 2006 7:59:36 PM

ultra = tigerdirect.
same company.
February 28, 2006 8:02:55 PM

Quote:
tigerdirect is godawful for rebates
should read
Quote:
TigerDirect is godawful for everything
February 28, 2006 8:08:00 PM

Quote:
tigerdirect is godawful for rebates
should read
Quote:
TigerDirect is godawful for everything

People have submitted many complaints to the Better Business Burea about that shit company and retailer.
February 28, 2006 9:39:33 PM

I own that PSU, and I've not had any problems with it. I live not too far from the tigerdirect store in markham, so I have a good source for spare cables.
!