Ultra X-connect 500w power supply for $19 at Microcenter??

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Ok so I m in the process of putting together a new system and I needed a new power supply. I was in Microcenter just looking and I found this great deal. Its an Ultra 500w X-connect supply which regulary goes for $90, they gave me $20off at the register and a $50mail-in-rebate. How can you beat that price. Im just wondering if anyone else has one of these power supplys?? Do they have alot of problems or something why such a good deal???

http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=37&pPath=157&productID=157

Razumen

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
My father bought one of those for his PC, and while I don't know how much he paid for it, he definitively hasn't had any problems since he's installed it; 2-3 months ago.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
For one, do not trust ANY rebate that has to do with an Ultra product; you are paying $70. I had rebates for my case/psu I got from tigerdirect.com that never came. This calls for ONE HELL OF A NASTY CALL....
Secondly, the x-connect 500w I had wasn't that great. The voltages were always a little unstable, It had no 24 pin connecter, no PCI-E support. Worked though. It made me queasy. I got an OCZ just to make sure my OC'ed to hell system wouldn't die.
What motherboard and other coponents are you getting?

By the way, I will seriously sell you my X-Connect 500w for $20 if you want it and don't plan on doing any oc'ing or serious computer projects. Perfect condition etc, but I am too lazy to ebay it.

I have one in the machine thats running while I'm typing this. It's in the neighborhood of 2-3 years old, closer to 2 I think, and even though it always smells a little "electical burny", it's run like a champ, and haven't had any problems. Also had it in an sli machine for 2 weeks til my new one arrived. Voltages are always slightly above where they are suppose to be......ie 12v....12. "point" something....3v....3. something.......good power supply.....really good price

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I have one in the machine thats running while I'm typing this. It's in the neighborhood of 2-3 years old, closer to 2 I think, and even though it always smells a little "electical burny", it's run like a champ, and haven't had any problems. Also had it in an sli machine for 2 weeks til my new one arrived. Voltages are always slightly above where they are suppose to be......ie 12v....12. "point" something....3v....3. something.......good power supply

You put a 20pin 500w ultra psu in an sli build?
Go see a psychiatrist, Right now.

Yea, I put a 20 pin on an sli board. They all don't have to be 24 pin. I know somebody who used a 20 to 24 pin adapter.....things work....I also know somebody who used a 20 -24 pin adapter and fried his motherboard.
I also used a 20 pin 400 watt no name brand psu on one. whats the big deal

p8ntslinger676

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I have one and it works great it is even the version with the Blue Coldcathode fan. :D I have had it for a while and really havent had any problems other that the cathode going out and i got it exchanged for free so im happy, but i still havent gotten my rebate so thats another thing, watch out they might try to screw you..???

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
There is no big deal. If the RAIL's are stable (+12v and +5v are used in vid cards), you have enough power (500w for SLI is good) and enough amps on the +12v (Dual 18A or Single 35A is good) than don't worry, you're fine. Not everybody is as forgiving with themselves as some.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

p8ntslinger676

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Do yall even know what the extra four pens are for, probably not. They are acctually there to provide power to an extra 4-pin molex socket built into the motherboard and since companies started making the 24 for the ones with the extra molex socket, mobo manufacturers started to build more mobos with the 24 pin set up even if they didne have the molex socket. There ive told you every thing i know about the topic, now rejoice in your stupidity.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
garsh slinger, you just know everything, don't you? You're so smart, able to figure out such staggering deductions from the hardest of topics? Man, you really are the real deal, aint ya? Dang dude, thanks for curing my stupidity, you're so cool! :lol:.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Yea, I put a 20 pin on an sli board. They all don't have to be 24 pin. I know somebody who used a 20 to 24 pin adapter.....things work....I also know somebody who used a 20 -24 pin adapter and fried his motherboard.
I also used a 20 pin 400 watt no name brand psu on one. whats the big deal

I did that while I had mine.

For overclocking and putting 1000 dollars on a PSU, if it fries and seriously overvolts I am screwed.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Do yall even know what the extra four pens are for, probably not. They are acctually there to provide power to an extra 4-pin molex socket built into the motherboard and since companies started making the 24 for the ones with the extra molex socket, mobo manufacturers started to build more mobos with the 24 pin set up even if they didne have the molex socket. There ive told you every thing i know about the topic, now rejoice in your stupidity.

That is nothing. My DFI has that, a 4 pin molex and an FDD power cable all needed to run without problems.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Hmm...I wouldn't not count on rebates, even though yes, it is possible some huge methodical (I hope that isn't too big a word) event happens and your rebate gets "snuffed out", but it also can takes months to get them back, hence the 2 months for my friends 2 Raptors and the 3 weeks it took for $450 rebates on my brothers laptop, hmmm...

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
What company is providing the rebate? If it is the company/site that sells the PSU itself, then it is far more accountable than if they have an independent retailer do it for them.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
If it fries you're only out 19 bucks assuming it doesn't toast the mb, proc, ram, video....might as well get yourself a powmax, ok that was harsh :), spend 50 bucks and get an antec, silverstone, enermax, something you can trust.

purelithium

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
I own that PSU, and I've not had any problems with it. I live not too far from the tigerdirect store in markham, so I have a good source for spare cables.