Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

epson vs canon

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 11:46:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Well , I spent the last 4 weks watching all pepson vs osts to decid my self
on which printer i would buy. I thougth I was sure on ip5000 or ip8500.
Yestarday I bougth the french magazine" reponse photo" which I think is one
of the best photo magazine ever made regarding hardware. And what did I see?

Well they say that ip4000/5000 are not very good and only the ip8500 is near
close to the epson R800 or R300. they say too that hp 8450 is one of the
best.

Comments please

rol

More about : epson canon

Anonymous
December 16, 2004 1:52:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

rol wrote:
> Well , I spent the last 4 weks watching all pepson vs osts to decid
my self
> on which printer i would buy. I thougth I was sure on ip5000 or
ip8500.
> Yestarday I bougth the french magazine" reponse photo" which I think
is one
> of the best photo magazine ever made regarding hardware. And what did
I see?
>
> Well they say that ip4000/5000 are not very good and only the ip8500
is near
> close to the epson R800 or R300. they say too that hp 8450 is one of
the
> best.

Not surprising at all. The Epson R800 is at Epson's state-of-the-art
level of printer (one past the venerable 2200 except that the R800 is
narrow format while the 2200 is wide-format for larger prints).

The ip4000/5000 are relatively low-end four-ink printers (supposed to
be very good for having only 4-inks, but still, has only 4).

At least bullet-spec-wise, the ip8500 seems to be roughly like a
narrow-format version of the i9900/i9950 (which prints spectacularly
well), but I haven't seen one as of yet.

Mike
December 16, 2004 5:08:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

rol wrote:
> Well , I spent the last 4 weks watching all pepson vs osts to decid my self
> on which printer i would buy. I thougth I was sure on ip5000 or ip8500.
> Yestarday I bougth the french magazine" reponse photo" which I think is one
> of the best photo magazine ever made regarding hardware. And what did I see?
>
> Well they say that ip4000/5000 are not very good and only the ip8500 is near
> close to the epson R800 or R300. they say too that hp 8450 is one of the
> best.
>
> Comments please
>
> rol
>
>
Well, I don't know about Epson but, if you want to have problems, I suggest
you go for Canon. They've got all kind of nice tricks in stock for you. See:

<http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=10ruv43sfnfpj...;

GP
Related resources
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 5:11:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In other words, if you buy an inexpensive Canon inkjet, don't depend on
them to support
it for more than 15 years as the fellow in that thread demands.
Probably good
advice, although I don't think I'd assume support that long by any
company for such
a high tech product. There's a local big company ($1B) that I know of
that was thought to
have been an industry leader in terms of long term support -- and they
only would
commit to support (like spare parts) for 7 years past when the product
was dropped
from being sold new. And that's talking about industrial products
where long service
life is even more important.

Mike
December 16, 2004 8:33:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Anoni Moose wrote:
> In other words, if you buy an inexpensive Canon inkjet, don't depend on
> them to support
> it for more than 15 years as the fellow in that thread demands.

False. The fellow in that thread demands that when he asks "Where is the purge
unit", the company gives a straight answer instead of trying to rip him off of
a hundred dollars and deprive him of his printer for 2 weeks for a five minute
job.

He expects the company to be honest and not play tricks on him with a little
sponge here and a little unaccessible switch there, to gather 100$ each and
every time a planned failure occurs.

The fellow suggests you learn to read. But first, you need a head.

GP
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 8:35:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Having no experience of Canons or HPs I must say that the Epson R800 I have
is absolutely marvellous. Actually, even better than I expected.

Väinö Louekari

"rol" <ruiol@portugalmail.com> wrote in message
news:41c14b32$0$1790$a729d347@news.telepac.pt...
> Well , I spent the last 4 weks watching all pepson vs osts to decid my
> self
> on which printer i would buy. I thougth I was sure on ip5000 or ip8500.
> Yestarday I bougth the french magazine" reponse photo" which I think is
> one
> of the best photo magazine ever made regarding hardware. And what did I
> see?
>
> Well they say that ip4000/5000 are not very good and only the ip8500 is
> near
> close to the epson R800 or R300. they say too that hp 8450 is one of the
> best.
>
> Comments please
>
> rol
>
>
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 4:36:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

GP wrote:
> rol wrote:
>
>> Well , I spent the last 4 weks watching all pepson vs osts to decid my
>> self
>> on which printer i would buy. I thougth I was sure on ip5000 or ip8500.
>> Yestarday I bougth the french magazine" reponse photo" which I think
>> is one
>> of the best photo magazine ever made regarding hardware. And what did
>> I see?
>>
>> Well they say that ip4000/5000 are not very good and only the ip8500
>> is near
>> close to the epson R800 or R300. they say too that hp 8450 is one of the
>> best.
>>
>> Comments please
>>
>> rol
>>
>>
> Well, I don't know about Epson but, if you want to have problems, I
> suggest you go for Canon. They've got all kind of nice tricks in stock
> for you. See:
>
> <http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=10ruv43sfnfpj...;
>
>
> GP
>
Do not believe all of what you read. The IP4000 is great. The IP5000
may be better but I would be concerned that the small droplet size might
clog the printhead. Do not know for sure and have not read anything on
that either way.

The IP4000 competes nicely with the Epson 300. The Epson may have some
problem with printing CDs.

The IP4000 has 2 paper feeds and is full duplex. The extra pigmented
black allows good text printing and makes for a good dual use printer.
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 1:54:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

GP wrote:
> Anoni Moose wrote:
> > In other words, if you buy an inexpensive Canon inkjet, don't
depend on
> > them to support
> > it for more than 15 years as the fellow in that thread demands.
>
> False. The fellow in that thread demands that when he asks "Where is
the purge
> unit", the company gives a straight answer instead of trying to rip
him off of
> a hundred dollars and deprive him of his printer for 2 weeks for a
five minute
> job.

If they charge $100 (still Canadian, I assume) it probably costs them
that
to handle and process fixing of your printer no matter how long it
takes
them to do it.

On the other hand, if they tell you officially how to do it and it's
something that's possible for you to muck up, then
they're <explitives deleted> for the results and perhaps
subject to a lawsuit for making you destroy your unit.

> He expects the company to be honest and not play tricks on him with a
little
> sponge here and a little unaccessible switch there, to gather 100$
each and
> every time a planned failure occurs.

All designs of all equipment don't expect an infinite lifetime. They
all are "planned" to fail at some point. I suspect the sponge was
supposed to last long past the point where people are still using
that printer. :-)

In any case, nowdays, for $100 you buy a new printer, you don't have
the old one fixed other than replacing the printhead (which with Canon
you not only can do yourself, but you *have* to do it yourself when
it's new because the printhead comes un-installed in a bag).

> The fellow suggests you learn to read. But first, you need a head.

What a straight line for a nasty response. Sigh, I'll resist.
Mike



>
> GP
December 17, 2004 8:22:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Anoni Moose wrote:

> If they charge $100 (still Canadian, I assume) it probably costs them
> that to handle and process fixing of your printer no matter how long it
> takes them to do it.

Sure! At a dollar a minute, according to you, the repair would have cost Canon
5 $, and 95$ for handling. They've then would have reached the stupendous
efficacity of a government agency. (That's pretty much what they sound like on
the phone.) Maybe it's better for them not to handle anyting, then.

> On the other hand, if they tell you officially how to do it and it's
> something that's possible for you to muck up,

You think that removing a sponge from a little hole with a pin, washing it and
putting it back can destroy a printer?

> then
> they're <explitives deleted> for the results and perhaps
> subject to a lawsuit for making you destroy your unit.

You're a phoney!

GP
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 9:19:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

GP wrote:
> Anoni Moose wrote:
>
> > If they charge $100 (still Canadian, I assume) it probably costs
them
> > that to handle and process fixing of your printer no matter how
long it
> > takes them to do it.
>
> Sure! At a dollar a minute, according to you, the repair would have
cost Canon
> 5 $, and 95$ for handling. They've then would have reached the
stupendous
> efficacity of a government agency.

Box shows up at your shipping dock. Don't know what's in it, who sent
it,
what's wrong with it. Five minutes later you've got the job done
(whatever
it was), repackaged and on the outgoing dock for pickup. They get to
ship it back to you with free shipping too.

Good deal!
>
> You think that removing a sponge from a little hole with a pin,
washing it and
> putting it back can destroy a printer?

If the person is inept with a pin (etc), they certainly could
do damage. They don't know you to be the competent person
you are -- because even the incompetent say they are too.


>
> > then
> > they're <explitives deleted> for the results and perhaps
> > subject to a lawsuit for making you destroy your unit.
>
> You're a phoney!

Hey, have I ever claimed otherwise? I'm sure others reading
this thread see obviously how I'm a phoney as you say I am,
so don't worry about it.
Mike

P.S. - Did they actually quote you $100?

> GP
December 18, 2004 4:05:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:22:11 -0500, GP <gilpel@inverse.nretla.org> wrote:

<on and on and on and about the same boring 15 year old sponge story>

>You think that removing a sponge from a little hole with a pin, washing it and
>putting it back can destroy a printer?

Hey troll, you know what you can do with your effing sponge?
.... and leave it there.

-killfiled-
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 7:13:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

pete wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:22:11 -0500, GP <gilpel@inverse.nretla.org> wrote:
>
> <on and on and on and about the same boring 15 year old sponge story>
>
>>You think that removing a sponge from a little hole with a pin, washing it and
>>putting it back can destroy a printer?
>
>
> Hey troll, you know what you can do with your effing sponge?
> ... and leave it there.
>
> -killfiled-

Is this from the child again. Go play with your diapers and then shove
that in your printer.
!