epson vs canon

Well , I spent the last 4 weks watching all pepson vs osts to decid my self
on which printer i would buy. I thougth I was sure on ip5000 or ip8500.
Yestarday I bougth the french magazine" reponse photo" which I think is one
of the best photo magazine ever made regarding hardware. And what did I see?

Well they say that ip4000/5000 are not very good and only the ip8500 is near
close to the epson R800 or R300. they say too that hp 8450 is one of the
best.

Comments please

rol
11 answers Last reply
More about epson canon

    rol wrote:
    > Well , I spent the last 4 weks watching all pepson vs osts to decid
    my self
    > on which printer i would buy. I thougth I was sure on ip5000 or
    ip8500.
    > Yestarday I bougth the french magazine" reponse photo" which I think
    is one
    > of the best photo magazine ever made regarding hardware. And what did
    I see?

    > Well they say that ip4000/5000 are not very good and only the ip8500
    is near
    > close to the epson R800 or R300. they say too that hp 8450 is one of
    the
    > best.

    Not surprising at all. The Epson R800 is at Epson's state-of-the-art
    level of printer (one past the venerable 2200 except that the R800 is
    narrow format while the 2200 is wide-format for larger prints).

    The ip4000/5000 are relatively low-end four-ink printers (supposed to
    be very good for having only 4-inks, but still, has only 4).

    At least bullet-spec-wise, the ip8500 seems to be roughly like a
    narrow-format version of the i9900/i9950 (which prints spectacularly
    well), but I haven't seen one as of yet.

    Mike

    rol wrote:
    > Well , I spent the last 4 weks watching all pepson vs osts to decid my self
    > on which printer i would buy. I thougth I was sure on ip5000 or ip8500.
    > Yestarday I bougth the french magazine" reponse photo" which I think is one
    > of the best photo magazine ever made regarding hardware. And what did I see?
    >
    > Well they say that ip4000/5000 are not very good and only the ip8500 is near
    > close to the epson R800 or R300. they say too that hp 8450 is one of the
    > best.
    >
    > Comments please
    >
    > rol

    Well, I don't know about Epson but, if you want to have problems, I suggest
    you go for Canon. They've got all kind of nice tricks in stock for you. See:

    <http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=10ruv43sfnfpjd6%40corp.supernews.com&lr=&hl=fr>

    GP

    In other words, if you buy an inexpensive Canon inkjet, don't depend on
    them to support
    it for more than 15 years as the fellow in that thread demands.
    Probably good
    advice, although I don't think I'd assume support that long by any
    company for such
    a high tech product. There's a local big company ($1B) that I know of
    that was thought to
    have been an industry leader in terms of long term support -- and they
    only would
    commit to support (like spare parts) for 7 years past when the product
    was dropped
    from being sold new. And that's talking about industrial products
    where long service
    life is even more important.

    Mike

    Anoni Moose wrote:
    > In other words, if you buy an inexpensive Canon inkjet, don't depend on
    > them to support
    > it for more than 15 years as the fellow in that thread demands.

    False. The fellow in that thread demands that when he asks "Where is the purge
    unit", the company gives a straight answer instead of trying to rip him off of
    a hundred dollars and deprive him of his printer for 2 weeks for a five minute
    job.

    He expects the company to be honest and not play tricks on him with a little
    sponge here and a little unaccessible switch there, to gather 100$ each and
    every time a planned failure occurs.

    The fellow suggests you learn to read. But first, you need a head.

    GP

    Having no experience of Canons or HPs I must say that the Epson R800 I have
    is absolutely marvellous. Actually, even better than I expected.

    Väinö Louekari

    GP wrote:
    > rol wrote:
    >
    >> Well , I spent the last 4 weks watching all pepson vs osts to decid my
    >> self
    >> on which printer i would buy. I thougth I was sure on ip5000 or ip8500.
    >> Yestarday I bougth the french magazine" reponse photo" which I think
    >> is one
    >> of the best photo magazine ever made regarding hardware. And what did
    >> I see?
    >>
    >> Well they say that ip4000/5000 are not very good and only the ip8500
    >> is near
    >> close to the epson R800 or R300. they say too that hp 8450 is one of the
    >> best.
    >>
    >> Comments please
    >>
    >> rol
    >>

    > Well, I don't know about Epson but, if you want to have problems, I
    > suggest you go for Canon. They've got all kind of nice tricks in stock
    > for you. See:
    >
    > <http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=10ruv43sfnfpjd6%40corp.supernews.com&lr=&hl=fr>
    >

    > GP

    Do not believe all of what you read. The IP4000 is great. The IP5000
    may be better but I would be concerned that the small droplet size might
    clog the printhead. Do not know for sure and have not read anything on
    that either way.

    The IP4000 competes nicely with the Epson 300. The Epson may have some
    problem with printing CDs.

    The IP4000 has 2 paper feeds and is full duplex. The extra pigmented
    black allows good text printing and makes for a good dual use printer.

    GP wrote:
    > Anoni Moose wrote:
    > > In other words, if you buy an inexpensive Canon inkjet, don't
    depend on
    > > them to support
    > > it for more than 15 years as the fellow in that thread demands.
    >
    > False. The fellow in that thread demands that when he asks "Where is
    the purge
    > unit", the company gives a straight answer instead of trying to rip
    him off of
    > a hundred dollars and deprive him of his printer for 2 weeks for a
    five minute
    > job.

    If they charge $100 (still Canadian, I assume) it probably costs them
    that
    to handle and process fixing of your printer no matter how long it
    takes
    them to do it.

    On the other hand, if they tell you officially how to do it and it's
    something that's possible for you to muck up, then
    they're <explitives deleted> for the results and perhaps
    subject to a lawsuit for making you destroy your unit.

    > He expects the company to be honest and not play tricks on him with a
    little
    > sponge here and a little unaccessible switch there, to gather 100$
    each and
    > every time a planned failure occurs.

    All designs of all equipment don't expect an infinite lifetime. They
    all are "planned" to fail at some point. I suspect the sponge was
    supposed to last long past the point where people are still using
    that printer. :-)

    In any case, nowdays, for $100 you buy a new printer, you don't have
    the old one fixed other than replacing the printhead (which with Canon
    you not only can do yourself, but you *have* to do it yourself when
    it's new because the printhead comes un-installed in a bag).

    > The fellow suggests you learn to read. But first, you need a head.

    What a straight line for a nasty response. Sigh, I'll resist.
    Mike

    Anoni Moose wrote:

    > If they charge $100 (still Canadian, I assume) it probably costs them
    > that to handle and process fixing of your printer no matter how long it
    > takes them to do it.

    Sure! At a dollar a minute, according to you, the repair would have cost Canon
    5 $, and 95$ for handling. They've then would have reached the stupendous
    efficacity of a government agency. (That's pretty much what they sound like on
    the phone.) Maybe it's better for them not to handle anyting, then.

    > On the other hand, if they tell you officially how to do it and it's
    > something that's possible for you to muck up,

    You think that removing a sponge from a little hole with a pin, washing it and
    putting it back can destroy a printer?

    > then
    > they're <explitives deleted> for the results and perhaps
    > subject to a lawsuit for making you destroy your unit.

    You're a phoney!

    GP

    GP wrote:
    > Anoni Moose wrote:
    >
    > > If they charge $100 (still Canadian, I assume) it probably costs
    them
    > > that to handle and process fixing of your printer no matter how
    long it
    > > takes them to do it.
    >
    > Sure! At a dollar a minute, according to you, the repair would have
    cost Canon
    > 5 $, and 95$ for handling. They've then would have reached the
    stupendous
    > efficacity of a government agency.

    Box shows up at your shipping dock. Don't know what's in it, who sent
    it,
    what's wrong with it. Five minutes later you've got the job done
    (whatever
    it was), repackaged and on the outgoing dock for pickup. They get to
    ship it back to you with free shipping too.

    Good deal!

    > You think that removing a sponge from a little hole with a pin,
    washing it and
    > putting it back can destroy a printer?

    If the person is inept with a pin (etc), they certainly could
    do damage. They don't know you to be the competent person
    you are -- because even the incompetent say they are too.

    > > then
    > > they're <explitives deleted> for the results and perhaps
    > > subject to a lawsuit for making you destroy your unit.
    >
    > You're a phoney!

    Hey, have I ever claimed otherwise? I'm sure others reading
    this thread see obviously how I'm a phoney as you say I am,
    so don't worry about it.
    Mike

    P.S. - Did they actually quote you $100?

    > GP

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:22:11 -0500, GP <gilpel@inverse.nretla.org> wrote:

    <on and on and on and about the same boring 15 year old sponge story>

    >You think that removing a sponge from a little hole with a pin, washing it and
    >putting it back can destroy a printer?

    Hey troll, you know what you can do with your effing sponge?
    .... and leave it there.

    -killfiled-

    pete wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:22:11 -0500, GP <gilpel@inverse.nretla.org> wrote:
    >
    > <on and on and on and about the same boring 15 year old sponge story>
    >
    >>You think that removing a sponge from a little hole with a pin, washing it and
    >>putting it back can destroy a printer?
    >

    > Hey troll, you know what you can do with your effing sponge?
    > ... and leave it there.
    >
    > -killfiled-

    Is this from the child again. Go play with your diapers and then shove
    that in your printer.

Printers Photo Peripherals