jungle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002

I am trying to configure a vpn on a small network. There is a server
running Windows 2000 and 9 client workstations running windows XP Pro.
There will only be one client connecting via VPN though. The client
that will be connecting to the VPN is a Nexlink Laptop running XP Pro.

The network uses Direcway Satellite as its ISP.

The connection comes into a DW6000 router supplied by the ISP, which
the goes to a linksys ethernet router which is connection to a 16 port
switch and then goes to the server and all the workstations.

The individual that I am setting the VPN up for wants minimal changes
made to his network if any, due to the fact that so far it has been
very stable except for the internet connection which being satellite
seems to be affected by the weather.

I have 2 NICs in the server on that is configured with an IP for the
LAN using a 192.168.1.* IP scheme and the other configured with the WAN
address obtained from the DW6000 router.

My problem lies with the fact that I can not get the connection to pass
through the router even though the ISP says that the router does
support VPNs However they will not offer any advice or support for one
and the tech side of things.

I am also confused about one other issue. I want to use PPTP to support
the VPN connect but when I configure routing and remote access services
on the server the only option that I am given is TCP/IP. How do I get
PPTP configured/installed so that it is an option.

If there is anyone that could offer some advice on this setup I would
greatly appreciate it. Thankyou

PPTP is a protocol that runs inside a TCP/IP connection. When you configure
the server to accept inbound VPN connections, by default it accepts PPTP as
well as IPSEC connections. The advantage of PPTP is that it tends to go
thru routers better.

At your server site, you need to configure any routers between the server
and the internet to forward all PPTP ports to the server. (Check the MS
Knowledge base for details).

On the remote client laptop, when you configure the VPN connection, select
PPTP as the connection type.

If it's not working, the 1st thing is to connect the laptop to the LAN at
the server site to make sure that the VPN connection works without any
routers in the picture. Then, I would use a dial up internet connection
from the laptop to make sure that the VPN connection works thru the routers
at the server site. When that works, you can try to get it working from the
remote LAN location. That way, you can isolate where the problem is.

Good luck,
Mike Schumann