Transferring User Settings

Hi,

I am trying to set up another user on my machine
with almost the same desktop as mine.

Is there some way to copy my desktop to another
account, and then delete unwanted portions, or is
it necessary to recreate it from scratch?

Leigh

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 19:59:25 -0700, Leigh Meyers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to set up another user on my machine
> with almost the same desktop as mine.
>
> Is there some way to copy my desktop to another
> account, and then delete unwanted portions, or is
> it necessary to recreate it from scratch?
>
> Leigh

If you want all users to have similar desktop icons, copy the shortcuts to
the \Document and Settings\All Users\Desktop folder.

If you want to transfer user settings as well, create a new account. Log on
to it at least once before doing the next steps - copying one account to
another.

NOTE: To copy a user profile to another profile, you cannot be logged on to
the account you're copying to or from.

Log on to an account in the administrator group. Then use System
properties> Advanced> User Profiles. Click the Settings button. Select the
account that you want to copy and click the Copy To button. At the next
prompt, select the account you want to copy to. Follow the on screen
prompts and/or click OK to finish up.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Sharon,
Thank you, It went smoothly.
Leigh

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:49:30 -0700, Leigh Meyers wrote:

> Sharon,
> Thank you, It went smoothly.
> Leigh

You're most welcome, Leigh.