People Camping Out for iPhone 5 Eight Days Ahead of Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love technology, but there is not a single item that I could think of that is worth me wasting my time and comfort to go and stand in line for multiple days in a row. Seriously, it is not like the iPhone 5 is going to be something hard to find. Yes, the initial batch may sell out, but there will be more within just a few days after launch. Besides, that is what preordering is for.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Only when they announce Hell as the next location of the winter Olympics will I even consider camping out in front of a store for the next Übergizmo (and from what I read so far the new iPhone qualifies at best as an Average Gizmo).

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I really feel like Apple has been losing steam for awhile. I would call the first iphone a pretty major breakthrough, but ever since then it feels like the updates are marginal. Apple seems to be running out of ideas, and the iphone is becoming quite boring.

There is really nothing special about the iphone 5 over the 4S. Apple has been surpassed in many ways (finally) by other phone manufacturers. IOS has not seen any dramatic overhaul since it's inception.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
8 Days camping out for a phone or 8 days camping out with friends in the mountains to fish, drink and sing loudly and appreciate all that nature has to offer then wait a week or two and pick it up in store? hmmmm, *reaches for fishing pole and cooler!!

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]I love technology, but there is not a single item that I could think of that is worth me wasting my time and comfort to go and stand in line for multiple days in a row. Seriously, it is not like the iPhone 5 is going to be something hard to find. Yes, the initial batch may sell out, but there will be more within just a few days after launch. Besides, that is what preordering is for.[/citation]
+1 :lol:

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Don't these people have jobs? How are they going to explain this to their bosses?

"Hey buddy the iPhone 5 is coming out lemme take eight days off."

"You're fired."

"Yay!"

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
That's really sad.

That demonstrates how stupid are some of the die hard fans of apple in this case.

Anyone knows what's the half life of steve job's reality distorion field?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Roll up, roll up!!! A sucker born every minute!!!
PT Barnum is the new CEO of Apple, who else could sell a phone that looks identical to the last one apart from being a bit stretched, cost more, renders all your dock devices redundant
And still has a worse screen that Nokia, Samsung and Sony, camera as well, no NFC or removable battery
Roll up, roll up!!! A sucker born every minute!!!

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
The headline shows the word "People" where it is supposed to say "Idiots" The two words are so different. How was a mistake like this made?

cjyoung1

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Eight days, that's 196 hours. At minimum wage of about $8.50 an hour, these people are shelling out in lost time/wages to the tune of $1700. Is it really worth $1700 or more to spend $500 on a newer version of a gadget you previously spent $500 on, just to get it a few days sooner?

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Idiots! That's the only thing i can say.
There's nothing on the market that could make me wait in front of a shop, NOTHING.
Especially an iPhone, which is always 95% the same as the previous.
I wouldn't even wait a minute in front of a shop for a Galaxy 4.... (S3 owner here...).

[citation][nom]cjyoung1[/nom]Eight days, that's 196 hours. At minimum wage of about $8.50 an hour, these people are shelling out in lost time/wages to the tune of $1700. Is it really worth $1700 or more to spend $500 on a newer version of a gadget you previously spent $500 on, just to get it a few days sooner?[/citation]
Yeah, but you used logic; these specimens don't.

Keep in mind that few of these people are your Average Joes. They're all (at least, most of them) there purposefully advertise for companies. The Vibe guys are probably marketers and making appearances at these events is their job, and Gazelle is basically paying people to advertise for them as well. I don't think there are a lot of people losing money over this.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I think these poor saps are being paid to wait that long. Good publicity stunt when they make headlines.

Obviously, they make them sign an agreement not to disclose this fact, and they are handsomely rewarded.

[citation][nom]cjyoung1[/nom]Eight days, that's 196 hours. At minimum wage of about $8.50 an hour, these people are shelling out in lost time/wages to the tune of $1700. Is it really worth $1700 or more to spend $500 on a newer version of a gadget you previously spent $500 on, just to get it a few days sooner?[/citation]
$8.5 x 8 working hours in a day = $68
$68 x 8 days = $544

Edit: Assuming that they don't work on weekends, subtract $136 (two days' work) for a total of $408.

spacev

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
What boggles my mind is people commenting on articles they haven't read!
None of those guys in line are there because of the iPhone, they are there to promote businesses!
"As of Sunday night, there were only seven people in line and no one was there just because they really wanted to be the first to get the iPhone 5"
As for the iPhone, it feels like a last-gen Phone with old features. Not water proof, no image stabilization, no HDMI etc...

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
[citation][nom]spacev[/nom]What boggles my mind is people commenting on articles they haven't read!
None of those guys in line are there because of the iPhone, they are there to promote businesses![/citation]
Then it's a very misleading title ("People Camping Out for iPhone 5 Eight Days Ahead of Launch"), and the article is very poorly written. Notice how it starts?

Status
Not open for further replies.