Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Samsung Takes Shot at iPhone 5 in Galaxy S3 Comparison Ad

Last response: in News comments
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 17, 2012 2:55:15 PM

I want an iPhone. I must have an iPhone. I don't care. I want an iPhone. I don't care if it can grant me 3 wishes and one of those wishes can be for an iPhone. I want an iPhone.
Score
September 17, 2012 2:59:35 PM

Ballsy! If the previous article benchmarks are true, then +1 for Samsung, though i believe that the reason most people will be buying the new iPhone will be due to the ecosystem. The 4s is pretty fast already but i prefer the SIII (have had iPhone, nexus, SIII and currently have W7.5 phone). But the biggest compliment i hear about the iPhone is "It just works". Well, cool go for it, i prefer the ability to mess around with my stuff but thats just me and quite frankly, the SIII is the phone to beat. Though i do eagerly await the new Windows phones!
Score
Related resources
September 17, 2012 3:01:01 PM

OccupyMyYouKnowwhatI want an iPhone. I must have an iPhone. I don't care. I want an iPhone. I don't care if it can grant me 3 wishes and one of those wishes can be for an iPhone. I want an iPhone.

Dude, if you wish for an iPhone out of any 3 potential wishes...you got problems :( 
Score
September 17, 2012 3:02:10 PM

rebel1280Dude, if you wish for an iPhone out of any 3 potential wishes...you got problems

I think he was being sarcastic? If not its just scary.
Score
September 17, 2012 3:05:08 PM

So the point of the ad is good - there are differences, some of which favor Samsung.

But the list of features/apps at at the bottom there is just kind of sad. I don't know what "direct call" is, but it certainly doesnt sound like something that an iphone can't do ... Also is tilt to zoom somehow better than pinch to zoom? Because it doesn't sound better to me or the average person ...
Score
September 17, 2012 3:09:17 PM

The 'Genius Bar' always puts a smile on my face.
Apparently it takes a genius to figure out how to use an iProduct :-)
Score
September 17, 2012 3:18:18 PM

Nice ad; but the only notable "extra" thing I see on that list is the removable battery.
Score
September 17, 2012 3:19:14 PM

OccupyMyYouKnowwhatI want an iPhone. I must have an iPhone. I don't care. I want an iPhone. I don't care if it can grant me 3 wishes and one of those wishes can be for an iPhone. I want an iPhone.

I think OccupyMyYouKnowwhat was referencing this youtube video.
Score
September 17, 2012 3:21:29 PM

As an iSheep, I take offense to Samsung's advertisement. I bet the logo on the back of the iPhone 5 looks cooler than than that on the back of the SGS3...so there.
Score
September 17, 2012 3:24:28 PM

freggoThe 'Genius Bar' always puts a smile on my face.Apparently it takes a genius to figure out how to use an iProduct :-)

But using an iProduct does not mean one is a genius ;) 
Score
September 17, 2012 3:31:01 PM

Actually was going to buy an Galaxy S3 last week... but went to the Verizon store to try it out and ended up not liking it.

Will I buy an iPhone 5 instead? Eh... remains to be seen, but I doubt it. Maybe I'll just stick to my old-school flip phone.
Score
September 17, 2012 3:34:04 PM

Don't you want one with the bigger gee-bees?
Score
September 17, 2012 3:35:46 PM

SynosisI think OccupyMyYouKnowwhat was referencing this youtube video.

Yeah i think so too...
Score
September 17, 2012 3:47:52 PM

I gave an up-vote for this. Not because he wants or I want an iPhone but because this was a funny youtube video he was quoting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

Score
September 17, 2012 4:02:33 PM

All the feature that Samsung placed in the ads. are already patented by Apple.
Law Suit to follow.
Score
September 17, 2012 4:06:08 PM

Love it! Although I much prefer the HTC One X to the S3, I still love Samsung. Even though stating the facts nicely makes it easy to compare, these don't mean anything to a 1 eyed Apple fanboy. I personally like the design of the iPhone but will never get 1 over an android as long as they have such a sub-par OS. The thing has the same OS design as the original and is smoked by WP & android quite simply. Also if you want to have the same thing as everyone else and follow a company like a brain dead sheep, then you should consider moving to New Zealand.
Score
September 17, 2012 4:09:14 PM

Food for thought from an iSheep...

My iPhone 4 is on CL for $450 after 2 years of happy use... I had 3 pings in the first 30 minutes.

The resale value of a device after 2 years of (great) use trumps that list in Samsung's ad.

In the US we all pay for the phone over the life of the contract (which bites, I know) but it's nice to get some value back once your contract is over. I wouldn't be able to sell my Android phone after 2 years of use for anywhere near that amount.

From my Nexus 7

Score
September 17, 2012 4:35:59 PM

sundragonFood for thought from an iSheep...My iPhone 4 is on CL for $450 after 2 years of happy use... I had 3 pings in the first 30 minutes. The resale value of a device after 2 years of (great) use trumps that list in Samsung's ad. In the US we all pay for the phone over the life of the contract (which bites, I know) but it's nice to get some value back once your contract is over. I wouldn't be able to sell my Android phone after 2 years of use for anywhere near that amount.From my Nexus 7

This is a really good point. A 4 year old 3GS is still worth $100. More than people pay for some new androids. Really helps on the trade-in.
Score
September 17, 2012 5:29:57 PM

rebel1280Dude, if you wish for an iPhone out of any 3 potential wishes...you got problems

I completely agree with you! After being completely disappointed in the iPhone5 press release, I switched from an iPhone4S to the Galaxy S III and all I can say is, "WOW". The S III is superior to my iPhone4S in every way. The OMLED screen looks cleaner, colors are more vivid, and the Gorilla glass 2 is absolutely amazing not to mention it really does reduce figure prints. The S III battery life is also superior to all iPhones I have owned. I can't imagine just how much better my S III is going to be once Jelley Bean is released... :)  Bottomline - I've owned an iPhone 3G, iPhone4 and iPhone 4S and have to say without a doubt that I should have switched to Android years ago. My mind and soul have been freed - thanks Android! Apple has truly stopped innovating, and things are only going to get worse for Apple without Steve Jobs.
Score
September 17, 2012 5:51:07 PM

I've quite happy with my Atrix HD... I did choose it over the Samsung GS3 - to replace my SGS1 Captivate. Android 4.0 smokes 2.x. Boots up in a few seconds, turns on radios when it needs to. 4.5" screen - but wish the body was a bit smaller like the new upcoming MC-Droid M. Its battery is weaker than SGS3... but I don't see how ANY of these phone are supposed to get 9+ hours of talk time.

I used to use Launcher7 on my SGS1 (WP7-like Launcher, but better) - but I REALLY like Android 4.x enough that I don't need the limitations of WP7/8. I do kind of miss my bigger tile buttons, but I'm getting used to it... Love the Circles Widget that Motorola uses. I finally have an Alarm-Clock time on my Lock screen... all these little things makes the phone fun to use. I never liked Android 2.x... its 2 years old.
Score
September 17, 2012 5:52:43 PM

PS: I already know my Samsung Captivate is worth... $5. So I kept the old-dead SIM installed, turn on the WIFI and its a GUEST "mini" tablet for the home or kid to use.
Score
September 17, 2012 8:00:27 PM

How can you call the 920 a champion if it's not released yet... and "hard-to-find nano sim card" hahaha

MrF430Seems like Nokia is getting in on the action too! http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho [...] 6454_n.jpg

Score
September 17, 2012 8:28:35 PM

rlimhttps://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd. [...] 6894_n.jpg"Don't settle for cheap plastic"

Clearly the Apple fan that did this didn't even know the specs of the iPhone 5. The Apple A6 SoC doesn't have a quad core CPU, but a dual core.
Score
September 17, 2012 9:36:39 PM

Go Samsung!
I need to replace my actual phone (iphone 4) so my next phone will be a GSIII not an iphone 5.
Score
September 17, 2012 10:04:48 PM

That is clever i would pick a Galaxy 3 over a Iphone5 any day!
Score
September 17, 2012 10:09:34 PM

sundragonFood for thought from an iSheep...My iPhone 4 is on CL for $450 after 2 years of happy use... I had 3 pings in the first 30 minutes. The resale value of a device after 2 years of (great) use trumps that list in Samsung's ad. In the US we all pay for the phone over the life of the contract (which bites, I know) but it's nice to get some value back once your contract is over. I wouldn't be able to sell my Android phone after 2 years of use for anywhere near that amount.From my Nexus 7
i love apple, from my android tablet

Score
September 18, 2012 12:41:36 AM

Well guess what? My phone, the DROID RAZR MAXX, well, about that battery in comparison to any iPhone to date, "It just works" after a full day, no problem at all.
Score
September 18, 2012 12:59:09 AM

Oh yes, we all know how Samsung is a trusted, objective source of comparisons of its product versus the more successful rival. I find it funny that Android fanboys call Apple users sheep, but they get suckered into buying into Samsung's marketing line hook line and sinker. Sheeple S3.
Score
September 18, 2012 2:00:35 AM

That extended list is pretty weak. I could make some joke about Samsuck or SameSong vs crApple and make some nifty extended list for iPhone 5: Let's see:
More Apps
Fits comfortably in the hands of non-NBA players,
Not a cheap piece of plastic
Resale value
Pinch to Zoom (patented!)
Rounded Rectangles (tm)
Saphie crystal camera
f/2.4 aperture camera (vs f/2.63 on the Sammy)
reversible dock connector
full sRGB support
Display isn't oversaturated for color
Better brightness
326 pixels per inch of red and blue as well as green vs 216 in PenTile Galaxy SIII

And the list would be just as valid as the one above. As Churchill's grandchildren would say, "Lies, damn lies, statistics, and marketing." Pick the phone you like and use it.

( http://www.displaymate.com/OLED_Galaxy_S123_ShootOut_1.... )
Score
September 18, 2012 2:50:57 AM

hmmm, wasn't 3-4 years ago, the iphone was selling almost $400 for 8gb with a contract? you only get to sell it at a higher value right now because people know the name, not the inside specs of it. Now how long has the premium androids been in the market? the margins are so low, they cannibalized the resale value of the phone. if you price the phone hardware vs hardware, I doubt you'll be able to sell your iP4 for the price of a captivate... but hey, apple can market sh!t like it was gold...
Score
September 18, 2012 3:49:07 AM

no Sundragon, that price was only for the initial iPhone from June 29 - Spetmenber 5, 2007 (so 5 years ago). the 199/299/399 has been standard since the 3G.
Score
September 18, 2012 5:49:03 AM

It may be silly for some, but I can't buy a phone that doesn't have an RGB display or at least 32gb internal.

So... what does that leave me with other than the #%*$ iPhone?
Score
September 18, 2012 6:34:05 AM

jrodilhmmm, wasn't 3-4 years ago, the iphone was selling almost $400 for 8gb with a contract? you only get to sell it at a higher value right now because people know the name, not the inside specs of it. Now how long has the premium androids been in the market? the margins are so low, they cannibalized the resale value of the phone. if you price the phone hardware vs hardware, I doubt you'll be able to sell your iP4 for the price of a captivate... but hey, apple can market sh!t like it was gold...

I tried to buy a used GalaxyS2 for less than 250$ and wasn't able to. Ended up buying a Galaxy Nexus for ~ 400$ off Newegg. Using iPhone value retention vs Samsung Galaxy is kinda moot IMO.
Score
September 21, 2012 8:33:16 PM

The GS3 is a great phone, but I find it a little too big. I'm sure it's a remarkable device for many users, but it isn't a one size fits all, so let's not get incredibly biased. Portability means a lot to me, in fact it's a necessity. Both are great.
Score
!