Is SP1 woth the money?

rlj345

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
First, my thanks to sminlal who answered my original question which now leads to another question, is SP1 worth $20 extra?
After looking at the many versions of Windows 7 I'd pretty much decided on the "Pro" version that's when I noticed the "New (w/SP1) & "Old" (w/o SP1) versions. Is it worth paying the extra $20 just to get SP1? I understand there are several horror stories concerning SP1 and I'm not sure if MS has corrected them or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Horror stories? You heard wrong and the idea that SP1 is a horror story is nothing more than FUD. Microsoft needing to 'correct problems' with SP1 is absurd thinking. Well, other than the pesky pop up prompts from Mars caused by SP1 there are no issues to be concerned with. After installing Windows 7, SP1 will install automatically or will appear as a prompt to install the Service Pack if necessary. SP1 includes all of the Windows 7 post release security updates as well as other system updates and fixes. SP1 is a free download.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda&displaylang=en

No, it's not worth paying extra IMHO. Microsoft supplies SP1 for free to anyone who has Windows 7. I suspect that stores are just trying to create an incentive for people to buy their old stock - but the reality is that if you install the old version you will get the SP1 update via Windows update anyway.

If you expect to install Windows more than once then it would be nice to have the "Windows + SP1" install disc to save you the step of having to add SP1 via Windows update. But there's really no functional difference and it's up to you to decide if you want to pay the extra $20 just for the convenience of it.

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I'm planning a build for fall; it will use windows 7 to take advantage of DX11 support required for BF3. Right now on Amazon, the "old" version of windows 7 without SP1 is up for $99 while the "new" version with SP1 is selling for $119. I'm holding off on buying anything right now since this machine isn't due until Fall; however, should I go ahead and buy Windows 7 now?

The question, really, is will the "new" version with SP1 fall from $119 over the next quarter?

Of course the big question is whether the "normal" price for Windows 7 is $99 or $119. It may be that they've discounted the old version by $20 from $119 to $99 in order to get rid of old stock. It that's the case then it may a limited time bargain while the old stock lasts.

On the other hand they may have introduced the new version at $20 higher than the "normal" price on the assumption that people will be willing to pay a premium to get SP1, at least for a little while. If that's true then you may be rewarded by waiting.

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

Your answer of "No one really knows" is not surprising; if one could predict how 50 vendors would price, they probably wouldn't be so anxious to share such knowledge. I thought I'd toss it out there anyway!

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

$79.95 would be a very attractive price. I saw it as low as 89.95 at Amazon. I'll keep an eye on my inbox.

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
What I mean, is that it's not a very good deal for me -- I would not be charged sales tax by amazon since I live where I live. Those that would have to pay sales tax for amazon purchases might find the newegg deal to be advantageous.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
If you get a Win7 32, you can use any Win7 64 disc or SP1 disc.

There is no difference between Win7 types, only Ult/Ent/Home/Pro/etc.

Purchase a Win7 32 and find a Win7 64 SP1 disc from someone else or download it.