Duron blues

mikee55

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
:?: Hi everybody,my main system has suffered major fault to the cpu.ie I dropped the heatsink on it during a heatsink upgrade,and smashed a surface mount part on top of the chip.OUCH.I've had to buy a second hand Duron at 600 mhz off ebay.My first cpu was 1.1ghz and the reduction in speed maybe causing an issue with my Lite-On DVDRW SHW-1635S drive.The Lite-On website states that it needs at least P4 at 1.3ghz.At the moment I've got my old system set up with a P2 350mhz and the dvd drive doesnt burn,but I can read disks though.My Creative burning software doesn't list my drive,neither does Wavelab 5.Is this because the machine is too slow or have I an issue elsewhere?
I had to load XP onto this machine via Windows 98se as it won't boot a CD from Bios,would this be why it won't write disks?Also if I overclock the Duron when it comes,will it be fast enough to run the drive?

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
If you can read from the drive, why can't you boot from it?

AFAIK, speed or lack thereof should not prevent you from burning, though it will likely slow the process down.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You may be lucky with your chip, but I had an old Duron 650 and I could only get it up to about 700... they weren't very good overclockers as I recall.

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
What I don't get is why you went with another Duron. Weren't the Duron and Athlon chips pin-compatible? Seems like you could have picked up a 1ghz Athlon and dropped that into your board.
Also, it seems odd that you can't boot XP from the disc.
Do you know what brand of motherboard is in your computer? Did you ever upgrade the bios in that board? A board that came with a Duron should be flashable.
If you've got it working enough to access the Internet, I'd try flashing the bios and reinstall XP, if it's giving you trouble. If you've got the cash, you might consider also buying a newer hard drive ... I'm assuming that you're still using the drive that came with that computer. My apologies if that assumption is wrong.
It's unlikely, but if you're using the original hard drive that came with your computer, it might be too small for XP. Anything 10 gb and larger should be OK, though.

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
My first cpu was 1.1ghz...Also if I overclock the Duron when it comes,will it be fast enough to run the drive?

with that information and knowledge that durons were the budget chips of their time, i would say that it could cause you some problems yes. burning DVDs actually does take quite some power i believe and you really shouldn't be using anything less than a P4 or an athlon xp or sempron 2600+ IMO

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
You need to clarify your post.

Are you currently running a Duron 600 MHZ system, a P2 350 MHZ system, or both?

Which one is giving you problems with the DVD burner?