Sign in with
Your question

How do i create an email association for gmail in windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
March 30, 2011 12:19:58 AM

Hello,
I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 11/13/10. Since then, I've not been able to create an association for e-mail. I use Gmail. I've tried every so called solution I can find through every forum, to no avail. Would I be safe to restore my email association by clicking on the previous versions in the email properties backup from the 11/13/10 upgrade>
March 30, 2011 12:24:36 AM

I am confused. What do you mean email association? Like if a program says email this person, it automatically uses gmail?
m
l
March 30, 2011 12:33:39 AM

The following error pops up every time I turn on my PC: "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs Control Panel." However, I can click on my ISP icon, then retrieve my emails.
m
l
Related resources
March 30, 2011 7:20:45 AM

shm said:
The following error pops up every time I turn on my PC: "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs Control Panel." However, I can click on my ISP icon, then retrieve my emails.

I think I understand. I get the same thing when I try to get my school email to sync with Outlook.

The system is telling you that you do not have an "email handling" program like Outlook, Outlook Express (not available in 7 to my knowledge). If you have Microsoft Office, these are the steps I used:

1 - Make sure you are running the latest version of Office.
http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/vist...

2 - Once the product you choose is up to date, then you need to find Google Sync Apps -
http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/outlook_syn...

It's fairly straight forward from here, just follow the prompts until the program asks you for your email address. Enter it as you are instructed to, but when it asks you to enter the password, click the "no, help me" option. (Not exact verbiage but close enough). The Google program will contact your email provider and take over from there.

Another more cumbersome option is to utilize the Google IMAP instructions. This is a link to those particular details:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=788...

Select the option that best fits the "handler" program you are utilizing.

Hope this helps!

m
l
March 30, 2011 7:27:50 AM

A second thought just hit me as well.

Are you using Windows Mobile Device Center to sync a mobile-phone by chance?

If so, the above will solve that as well.
m
l
March 30, 2011 7:30:08 PM

No, RickW, I'm not using a mobile device. I will give your suggestion a try with the Google Sync Apps. Only problem is that I don't use Microsoft Office. I use MS Works. I'll check further with the Google Sync to make sure my OS is compatible. Thanks for your help!
m
l
March 30, 2011 7:47:13 PM

Just install Thunderbird or some 3rd party email handler then you can set it as default when mailing, it will be a completely different process when already running your browser so if one crashes, the other is spared.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 30, 2011 8:51:58 PM

Windows live mail \ essentials will do what you want. It is very easy to set up. You just have to click on add e-mail account and put you e-mail address in and it will do everything for you
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
March 30, 2011 9:52:50 PM

Install the GMail Notifier.
m
l
!